• +

27 Replies - 871 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Game: Class3

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, yeah zombie games are getting a bit thin, but this looks promising.

Game: Class3 and Class4
Developer: Undead Labs
Concept: "an open-world zombie survival game on Xbox Live Arcade."
Release date: no specific release window; "development cycle would be comparable to that of most XBLA games and that it began six months ago"

"Our core mission is to build a game around the question, 'What would you do in the face of the zombie apocalypse?'" Strain told Ars. "We want to give you the freedom to test your own survival strategy.

what will make Class3 different from most straight-up action games is its open-ended nature. It won't be a linear, mission-based experience. Instead, you'll be forced to make your own decisions and figure out what needs to be done. And these decisions will all be focused on survival,

The game will feature co-op play, both online and off. When playing online, you'll be able to visit your friend's world, and vice versa

Ambitions for MMO:

Undead is also working on something much more ambitious, a massively multiplayer zombie survival game appropriately known as Class4. It, too, will be coming to a game console, and Class3 will serve as a testing ground for its much larger sibling.

Types of zombies:

More importantly, though, Strain discussed just what kind of undead forces players will be up against. Are they going to be fast, 28 Days Later zombies? Or the more common, slow and shambling hordes?

"Why, both, of course!" he told Ars.

I am tittering with joy of a 'Zombieland'-esque game mashed with 'The Walking Dead'. The only major problem is it will be an XBOX live game. I have no boxes be them x's, a's, or b's.

http://arstechnica.c...s-interview.ars

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game: Class3

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game: Class3

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

All we want to do is eat your brains~♪
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

This sounds interesting. Sort of want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Xbox live and that's all? No PC? That would be a shame, I like the new trend of open-world style games, and co-op mode would just make it sweeter, but if it's not on PC I'm not playing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

agreed w/ hookie, why no PC?

I've done XBLA dev, it's usually relatively easy to target both Windows and XBLA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Just to be clear - I can't get access to an XBOX Live Arcade game through something like 'games for windows' or what ever Steam Competitor MS has?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

You can't unless it was released through those outlets.

XBLA has games made for Xbox on it. It just happens that a good deal of games released on XBLA can easily be compiled for Windows. But it's up to the developer to do so, and it is also up to the developer/publisher to find a distribution method for the PC. Steam and Games for Windows are just possible distribution methods.

The ease of porting can range in difficulty. For instance if the developer uses XNA and is smart enough to follow the XNA framework and patterns (avoiding any windows specific calls, or write the compiler directives to react appropriately on the xbox) then it's just a matter of flipping a few commands on compile. But if they use some 3rd party engine in say C++, then it's up to the engine... those tend to support both as well. The final is if they write it from scratch themselves directly shooting for XBLA... which from a business point of view isn't that good of a plan. Players of the smaller casual games like those on XBLA tend to expect them to be cross platform.

Of course hookie and I aren't certain if it's XBLA exclusive. It's just the data put forward implies that.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 09 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

to create false demand. they almost always release on one system at first and then port to the others as soon as sales dwindle. exclusives sell more, until they don't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

I have no problem with artificial demand if they're using it to bankroll the effort to get it onto other consoles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

My xbox is broken... :(

It's limped along for a few years now. First some asshole busted up my DVD-ROM, repaired it. Then it RROD'd, repaired it again. Then it started having issues w/ the HDMI, didn't fix that, just went to VGA. Then it RROD'd again because 'someone' left it on all weekend for no apparent reason... that's where it is now. It has no case anymore and it randomly turns on. I just randomly hit the power button to see if today it's in the mood... if it is, I play a few games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

That story sounds like an ex girlfriend of mine... right down to 'pushing the button to see if she was in the mood' but totally expecting nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

this story sounds like my current girlfriend, but I'm the one who only randomly is in the mood.

She presses my bellybutton.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostChoscura, on 09 February 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

I have no problem with artificial demand if they're using it to bankroll the effort to get it onto other consoles.

but you have a problem with it if they are just using it to bankroll their bankroll?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 09 February 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

View PostChoscura, on 09 February 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

but you have a problem with it if they are just using it to bankroll their bankroll?

yep. If it's a small developer (IE, less capital to work with), I've got a bigger tolerance for delays and so on. I won't necessarily be happier with it and I'm not going to search out anything because it's smaller, but I'm more likely to put up with it having trouble if it is. If you're already big, if you can already afford the investment, it still makes sense to release on one console first (to make sure you don't put all the work into it for all the consoles and then it bombs on all of them), but at the same time, some games are a sure thing (eg, the call of duty games, the half life games, and even a mediocre PC game like halo does well because of the Xbox reputation) and so at a certain point, there's not really a good excuse to wait to develop on all consoles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

except for exclusivity contracts that bankroll you.

oh, or spending time and money and resources on development efforts that can put you behind on new, exciting games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +