5 Replies - 1172 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

#1 Guest_Guest*

what skill level to start freelancing

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

i do c# and i still think i am a beginner but i might be getting close to intermediate. i was hoping to do small freelancing projects and was curious if i have enough skills to do it.

i wrote small applications for myself but i wantt o spruce up my resume with a freelancing section to talk about other programs i wrote for others. i was going to put an ad up on my school classifieds and maybe craigslist but i am not sure if i am good enough.

what do you guys think the requirements are to start freelancing?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: what skill level to start freelancing

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: what skill level to start freelancing

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

so really i got the same question thx for asking
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm not quite sure, but I think you can advertise yourself at any (post-intro) skill level, as long as you are specific about what you can and cannot do. It is awfully depressing and embarrassing to find a client and realize you simply do not have the understanding to solve his problem....
But definitely keep actively looking for work - it's a lot easier browsing things to do instead of describing what you can do.
Hope this helps...
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

View PostVermiculus, on 09 February 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

But definitely keep actively looking for work - it's a lot easier browsing things to do instead of describing what you can do.
Hope this helps...

i don't get it ... for exemple !!
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

View Postxmerou, on 10 February 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

View PostVermiculus, on 09 February 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

Hope this helps...

i don't get it ... for exemple !!

He (or She, sorry if so) means that you should be looking for work rather than just putting your CV/Resume online.

If someone asks "can you do this this and this" it is easier to say yes than to describe and list everything you can do. You are sure to miss something and there is more chance if you come to them than if they have to find you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hi, alexr1090 here. This is my first post on this site, whatsup?

I too consider myself a new to intermediate programmer. I thought about getting into freelancing a little while ago. Being socially inept I decided to ask my "facebook friends" (that site is so weird sometimes) what they thought would be a "cool facebook app." Of course when you're socially awkward in real life around people, not a lot of those people pay attention to you on facebook. Needless to say, the only person who responded was a fellow programming friend who told me to make an app that could find where hookers in your city were located.

Ok but honestly if I were to go into freelancing today I would want to be very confident with programming, and to become confident at anything in life you have to practice, practice, practice. My suggestion is to first think of a program that you would like to make, just daydream about it in your free time. DON'T think about why you can't do it either! Don't even start to think about HOW to make the program when you're daydreaming, just dream and think about what you CAN do! Then get ready for hell. Be prepared to run into a million obsticles when writing this program and know that everything that can go wrong will man, but if you want to be a GREAT programmer bad enough YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT. Then after you get your dream program written, you'll not only have confidence but also a great program to advertise to potential customers. Your average person knows very little to nothing about computers and they generally are just fine knowing nothing as well. So placing an ad that says you're a computer programmer and you write programs won't excite many people, but putting an ad up with pictures of how cool your program looks or how it does something that's really useful I think will entice people more.

I would say it's a must to include pictures because that's what gets people's attention. Then you could get people to either pay you to use a program that you wrote or if you don't want to do that just say something in the ad like "You dream it, I create it" and of course write in the ad what it is that you do so nobody is misled.

But yeah man, I'm on a lot of adhd medicine so I got really into this. Hope it helps!

...And I should get to work on that hooker app...

tldr: In depth "how I'd do it" on freelancing.

This post has been edited by alexr1090: 17 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1