4 Replies - 539 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Scala

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Just wondering if anyone has taken a good look at scala yet?

Scala

Supposedly, a lot of people think it will put java out of action and take over from it. Looks really good, take a look at the Actors api.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Scala

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Scala

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I've been working on dumping Java since in general I've found it to limit me plus I'm not going to wait for Oracle to ruin it. It's (Java) a great language, but in my goals/assignments it doesn't really fit. I keep hearing good things about Scala, but haven't had a chance to look into it. I'd be interested in hearing about it from others.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I have only had a very brief look into it, but so far it looks amazing. It is also quite similar to java, so a simple transfer for java programmers. The Actors api, which allows for message passing concurrency looks really good. The posibilities you could make with this is quite interesting. Might start with a simple msn messenger type app, and then see how it goes from there.

Is there any chance of moving this back into part of the java forum, maybe the java programmers section? Reason is, scala is suppossed to be the new java, so I was interested in how the hardcore java regulars feel about this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Don't take the "X is the new X language" shit seriously. What is the successor to what will only be proven with time.

In any case, Scala is a great language and a definite step up from Java. I'm kind of surprised you've just now heard about this. It's been a pretty big thing for quite a while.

Also, shameless plugs aside, if you're interested in concurrency, you might have fun playing with Software Transactional Memory. It's the concurrency model that Clojure uses.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Scala definitely looks interesting. I wouldn't mind trying it out, but it's not at the top of my list of languages to learn.

View Postnick2price, on 09 February 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

Is there any chance of moving this back into part of the java forum, maybe the java programmers section? Reason is, scala is suppossed to be the new java, so I was interested in how the hardcore java regulars feel about this.

I went ahead and moved it to the Cube since I figured it would get better discussion here. You'll probably get more feedback from people who have used Scala than haven't. And alternative JVM languages have been around for a while. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1