Why do you still use VB6 in the era of .net?

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

85 Replies - 17882 Views - Last Post: 24 March 2011 - 04:55 PM Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Why do you still use VB6 in the era of .net?

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 09 February 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

A few questions to start off the discussion.

Why do you still use it?
What are the barriers / issues preventing you?
Is the learning curve of .net too steep?

I still use a lot of VB6 - both for maintenance of earlier apps as well as for new apps.
I also code in C#, but get many more requests for VB6 within the field that I am in.
From indexes like www.tiobe.com, it seems that VB6 is second only to C# (but dropping) and clearly well above VB.net in job requests.
As I make a good living from programming, and the VB6 demand is out there, I have full belief that VB6 will be supported by MS operating systems for many years/decades to come. VB6 will be around for many years to come..it fits a niche. Obviously VisualStudioMagazine felt there was enough interest in VB6 to keep Karl Peterson's classic VB column running, as does DreamInCode. Microsoft will not lose a market value by not including support for the runtimes in future operating systems.

Learning .Net was not too steep... I find other programming concepts far greater challenges (like predicate database design and some algorithms) Learning the language is just a matter of familiarity or mindset.

Maybe off topic... employees inside Microsoft also have indicated that a line based coding language is still a better methodology to get young students into programming. (Later they can develop OO skills and work in C#, Java, C++ or whatever.) This is why MS supported one of their employees who wrote a line based 'basic' language (written in C#) so his son could effectively 'play' in learning programming. See articles like http://www.salon.com...006/09/14/basic
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 09 February 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

A few questions to start off the discussion.

Why do you still use it?
What are the barriers / issues preventing you?
Is the learning curve of .net too steep?

VB6 is still very much useful for me. Contrary to other opposing opinions, I am still using VB6. Why give it up when its useful for developing and maintaining applications? Only those who never develop VB6 extensively can say that VB6 is a deadhorse. I dont think so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Microsoft will not lose a market value by not including support for the runtimes in future operating systems.

Don't be too sure of this. MS dropped all support for Windows Mobile 6.5 and lower programs with their new phones. Classic WinMo had a massive market share, and they dropped it all for a new paradigm. That shows their willingness to turn their back on the old and welcome in the new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

View Poststrongcoffee, on 06 March 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

From indexes like www.tiobe.com, it seems that VB6 is second only to C# (but dropping) and clearly well above VB.net in job requests.

Given that this index makes no distinction as to what version of "Visual Basic" they're ranking, how exactly did you arrive at this assertion?

View Poststrongcoffee, on 06 March 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

Interesting article. Since it's focused on BASIC, which has little to do with VB6, I'm not sure how this applies to anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Simply put, coding in VB6 is fun! I can make a utility program using VB6 to aid my work in a matter of hours. Beside that, our company still used programs written in VB6. VB6 may be a legacy programming language, but, why kill the cat when it still has nine lives left? :gun_bandana: :wheelchair:

This post has been edited by bohemian9485: 08 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

coding in VB6 is fun! I can make a utility program using VB6 to aid my work in a matter of hours.

But is that a valid reason? Fans of VB.NET will say it's fun too, and it's certainly quick to make utility programs. Frequently quicker than VB6, if you know the libraries, because so much has already been implemented for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

On the point of performance vb.net beat vb6 the other thing is that it shows the errors and the warnings before you make exe so its faster to test it too. Otherwise this was the language that light the spark for programming for me so it will always have a place in my hearth :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

I still use VB6 primarily because my employer still has a number of legacy apps that require care and feeding. But I have to admit I enjoy working with it even though it's showing it's age. I also work with .Net, mostly VB but I'm comfortable with C# as well. If I had to choose I'd prefer to stick with the .Net languages. I can do more with them overall and Visual Studio 2010 is a joy to work with. But I do still enjoy working with VB6 and there are times when I work with it almost exclusively for months at a time.

I hate to say it, but it's just a matter of time before VB6 becomes impossible to use. As 64 bit Windows becomes more and more ubiquitous it will become more and more difficult to coax new life into it, and clearly Microsoft will never make any effort to move it forward. As it stands now, you can still get the VB6 IDE to install on 64 bit Windows 7 despite Microsoft claim to the contrary. I doubt that will remain true in future versions of Windows, and we can't depend on "XP Mode" being available indefinitely.

Although I like the .Net platform and have worked with it since it was in beta, I do think Microsoft made a major strategic error in dropping VB6. At the time VB6 was the most widely used language on the planet - even overtaking venerable old COBOL (yeah, I used to work with that too). I was one of those people who used to refer to VB.Net as "Visual Fred". It really wasn't VB at all - it was a completely new and different language and Microsoft erred in trying to pretend it was not.

If they had introduced VB.Net as something new - perhaps they could have called it "B#" - and kept the REAL VB (maybe calling it VB.Com) going for another 2 or 3 release cycles the transition would have been a lot less painful. And as another benefit, the new "B#" (or whatever) would not have had to carry some of the eccentricities that VB.Net is now permanently burdened with as a result of trying to maintain upward compatibility ("AndAlso" and "OrElse" comes to mind).

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

going for another 2 or 3 release cycles the transition would have been a lot less painful

I agree with most of what you said except for this. I feel that they wanted the non .NET version to die, and if they continued the releases, they'd just postpone the inevitable. As it stands, I'm sure they're surprised at just how tenaciously Classic VB has hung on.

Legacy apps are and always will be the biggest problem. Lots of companies take a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" attitude, and you can't blame them for that. But sometimes it's broke just enough to need some work, not rewriting, and that's where the gray areas start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

Needed to create a simple cleanup routine to maintain customer's server.
Created one (a simple zip wrapper) on VB2005.
Dropped it on target server, wich then stated that _specific_ .net framework is needed (and server in mission critical production would need a reboot) :wank: . Changed the few lines needed on the code and compiled with VB6. Copied .exe and couple of .dlls on server and got the job done. Ofcourse I could have achieved the same with a bunch of .bats, but now I have flexible multi-use wrapper to reuse. :punk:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

I started out programing in vb.net and while I have no intention of learning vb6 I still see its importance, in fact most .NET Framework Libraries are just wrappers that reference COM Libraries.
An example would be this

Dim Voice As New System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer

It's the exact same as this

Dim Voice As Object = CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice")

So while I'll continue to code in .NET, COM will never die!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First