DockingPort?

Wondering about them..

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 1763 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2001 - 05:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

DockingPort?

Posted 06 March 2001 - 05:30 PM

Does anyone here know anything about dockingport.com? Like, why are they giving away Ikonboards for nothing, with no banners or even a link back? I mean, it's great, but unusual. I'm trying to decide what I want to do about message boards...using EZboard now.  I think I could run Ikonboard on my server, but it's not something that would come easily to me, and I'm not sure I have the time to put into that. Then maybe there's this option...hmmm..
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DockingPort?

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DockingPort?

Posted 06 March 2001 - 05:35 PM

It's cause they want you to try something on their servers then go "hmm, their servers are fast, I think I'll host my whole site with them"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2001 - 05:47 PM

Which brings me to another thing I'm wondering. They seem to have a couple things very oddly in common with another host I have a site on. I'm wondering if they're connected. The other host isn't a VDI reseller, but there are a couple of things that seem very related and I'm wondering if they're the same people. I'm happy with the other host but that VDI control panel is very, very nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2001 - 06:04 PM

don't know, you'd have to ask them.
They are very helpful, I get responses same day usually
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2001 - 07:37 PM

Thank you, I guess I  will. This board is certainly fast. A very nice site that you've done here, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 10:32 AM

Hi, just wanted to let you know, I've moved the board from the dockingport.com servers. This was due to a crash at VDI :)

The host it's on now is the one I work for/with (I'm their web developer) and their uptime is superior! I know cause I handle a lot of customers that are hosted on their servers.

http://www.bluezebrahosting.com  (No free ikonboard intalls, nor is it a free host, but the uptime and speed is unmatched!)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 12:51 PM

I heard about the VDI crash. What I'd was heard that it really originated from UU.net but VDI didn't have a plan B  for routing..or something along those lines.
I know I've been having problems getting to a couple of my sites in the last few days and neither are on a VDI host. Not that it has to be the same thing, but this morning a trace on one of them found the connection dying at a UU IP address.
Anyway, does that mean that you were able to get Ikonboard running on bluezebra? I believe  you mentioned that that was a problem originally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 12:57 PM

Yup, since UU.net is VDI's provider for their lines...when the OC12 that VDI uses went down, VDI went down too...They advertise redundant connectivity, this is obviously either a lie or poor planning because they should have only been down for 1 hour max! They should have switched over to their other connections (but I also heard they had a lot of their data tables or something like that lost)

Yes I had problems at first getting Ikonboard installed on BlueZebra but Quik helped out and we had it setup in under 10 minutes!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 01:05 PM

Well, that's probably just as well, then. Better to have your own, right? And free stuff isn't very secure right now. It tends to disappear as companies need to adjust their business models. I'm sure you're much better off this way. And it certainly seems to be running well.
It seemed to keep the registration information. I had to login, but that was all. How'd you manage getting that from a hosted board?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 01:19 PM

I've worked at and run my own hosting company for close to 5 years now, I know what scares hosts and such... I timed it so it was when they were dealing with all the problems with the downtime a couple days ago, they didn't want bad publicity so they just gave me all the files to the old board so I didn't lose much :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 01:53 PM

LOL. Well, I guess we know where to come for advice in dealing with hosts, now, don't we?
You left the hosting business, I gather?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2001 - 01:57 PM

Sold my company last summer, then at the end of last year I began working at a design firm where I suggested a large scale hosting department which I help run, I still am active in the hosting industry, but I mainly just do the marketing and design for the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2001 - 05:43 PM

Hmmm... so why is paying for hosting a problem exactly?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1