6 Replies - 1077 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2011 - 05:39 AM

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Business Emails

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

I am looking for some advice about how to go about sending an email to a company to offer software services.

Background:

I used to work for this architect company when I was in college. After graduating, I moved on to another job. They were fine with that and there were no burned bridges.

Fast forward 6 1/2 years, and now I am wanting to start my own software developing business so that I can eventually work from home. So I want to contact this company to see if they might need any software services.

So I am looking for advice on what the email should contain. Maybe other members here have done this and it worked out for them. Just trying to get some pointers.

Do I act friendly? Do I act more business like? Do I throw in some old times? Do I get straight to the point?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Business Emails

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Business Emails

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Imo, depends on the person you are sending it to and your relationship with them. Be friendly always, possibly mention you used to work there based on the recipient, but this is first and foremost a business email, so keep it more business-like/professional. Perhaps a phone call might go further though.

Just my $.02. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

Phone call would normally work, but he is in and out of the office a lot, so I figure an email may be better to start with....then a phone call later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

You might consider seeing if there's anyone there still that you know. The higher up they are in the organization, the better. Be up front about matters. Remake their acquaintance but then tell them that you're developing software and would like to explore their interest in customized software for their business.

The best business relationships have a personal aspect to them. You'll find that if you can discuss with them what some of their needs are (or discover what processes they're doing that they're either frustrated with or want to do better) and then approach their needs from the standpoint of "I can maybe solve that problem for you" then you'll find they're probably receptive to at least speaking with you. Be prepared to encounter disinterest or rejection. In fact, your best bet is, if you have a friend who is a salesman or know someone who does sales for a living, speak with them.

Being your own business means you're going to have to do everything that a larger firm does all by yourself. If you're a software dev, chances are you're probably not a great salesman (based on the differing nature of successful people in each job)...but you can learn to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:15 AM

What they said, if you know someone there who you still talk to, even if it's once in a blue moon, you can take the casual approach. If you're not that familiar with them, you'll need to be more professional and try to convince them that you know enough about their business to be more useful than the competition, possibly even in a paper letter with a follow up e-mail.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the pointers everybody. I sent off the email this morning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:39 AM

Good luck...sounds like a good fit to me :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1