9 Replies - 572 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help choose a college and one more thing.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi guys. I am currently in High School, Sophomore. I want to think of a college now that will be helpful in Webpage designing.
I am already taking a Advance Microsoft And Webpage Designing but it doesn't seem to be that much of an effort towards teaching students how to code a HTML webpage.
I am currently located in Buffalo, NY and would like to know if someone else knows a good college around here.
If for some reason i have to go out of state to get THE best college I will. I have time to disscuss with parents about it.

My goal is to make an operating system which I know requires hell of a work and coding experience but I want to get started now so it does not take me forever to learn. I want a good college. Help me choose?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help choose a college and one more thing.

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help choose a college and one more thing.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

You want to take a course on web design so you can make an operating system?

You would probably be best of choosing computer science and doing all the programming, web programming and hardware modules/classes whatever you call them that you can.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

MIT and Stanford are generally considered top-notch Computer Science schools. Also, I agree with bonyjoe, you should do a Computer Science program!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

I don't get why everyone suggests MIT and Stanford. Sure they are the best schools in the world. However if you look at it realistically, not everyone has loads of cash, and not everyone is going to get a full ride. And if you live out of state or out of country your tuition just doubled.

@OP
What universities are located in your area? Go to their website and do a little research. A degree is a degree. A degree from MIT might hold more weight than one from a state university but in the end, you have a degree and it's the degree that's going to get you a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

View Posteker676, on 11 February 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

I don't get why everyone suggests MIT and Stanford. Sure they are the best schools in the world. However if you look at it realistically, not everyone has loads of cash, and not everyone is going to get a full ride. And if you live out of state or out of country your tuition just doubled.

Please make sure you have even the slightest idea about a topic that you're talking about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

View Posteker676, on 11 February 2011 - 05:29 PM, said:

@OP
What universities are located in your area? Go to their website and do a little research. A degree is a degree. A degree from MIT might hold more weight than one from a state university but in the end, you have a degree and it's the degree that's going to get you a job.

On the contrary, MIT is prepared, in most cases, to help any student accepted to the university meet the financial demands. Over 90% of the undergraduates at MIT have received some form of financial aid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

View Posteker676, on 11 February 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

I don't get why everyone suggests MIT and Stanford.

They're genuinely good schools and I'm bias since I attended one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

Go to an affordable college and watch these Java Stanford lectures http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KkMDCCdjyW8
Money saved :shuriken:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

Yep, that should be a good substitute for actually going to Stanford. You can even put "watched Stanford's lectures on YouTube" on your Resume, under the education section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

LOL... Those are intro courses. Not sure if you value education or just want to take the beginners stuff. Clearly you don't need to go to school to learn how to code but if you're going to go, at least aim at the courses that will excel your knowledge in areas that interest you and/or will be helpful
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1