• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 3749 Views - Last Post: 09 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

• Winning
  • member icon

• View blog

Do you still develop for IE6?

Post icon  Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

One of my projects currently involves web development just to keep my current skills upto scratch and also expand on the knowledge that I possess. I was wondering if there is any point making websites compatible for IE6? Does anyone still go to the effort in doing this? If so, why?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Do you still develop for IE6?

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you still develop for IE6?

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

I would say no. IE is way behind standards as it is, and older versions won't get any better. Focus on adhering to coding standards for modern browsers, and tweak for modern versions of IE as necessary.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Winning
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:39 AM

I agree with you macosxnerd101 although one of my work colleagues still thinks a website should still be presentable in IE6. I think it's time to move forward and forget about the old evil IE6. I found this which indicates how IE is rapidly dying over the years and the increase in Firefox and Chrome users.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:43 AM

I call it the 6-tax when I make sites that have to work on IE6. It costs a lot more and I actively let my clients know that it's not worth the trouble to make it IE6 compatible, but if they do want it, they can pay for it.

In the end the client decides not you, you can mitigate the needs by giving it an extra cost. If Johnny McCeo wants it, you'll have to make it because he's paying the bill.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#5 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

You have to know your audience. Most of the people using IE6 aren't the ones using it at home. Most of them are the ones using it in the office. And those places haven't updated because of intranet applications or whatever. So, if you were making a bank web page, I'd totally suggest IE6 compatibility; it's the type of site people at work are going to check at lunch.

Just remember that if you make a site that is 100% broken in IE6, you're making it so that a certain segment of people can't use your site at work. Weigh that against the amount of people you expect to even want to use your site at work. Weigh all that against how much extra time and effort IE6 compatibility is going to take.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

if I code then I code either against IE (using XHTML, for personal purposes) or make it so that it is useable in IE (though I don’t make efforts to make it look as good as it looks in the other browsers)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

I think it sort of ties into the question of, how many versions past can be considered too old? I personally think IE6 is too old and needs to start being cycled out. If developers keep supporting IE6 then it's just encouraging people to continue using it. Also, present day web sites to IE6 are like my grandfather trying to understand how to use my smartphone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

I've stopped worrying about IE altogether. I code according to standards. If people choose to use a broken browser, they should see broken pages. I'm not going to waste time cleaning up after Microsoft.

... Unless clients demand IE support. But I won't do it for cheap :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

I let my audience tell me if I should code for IE 6. On my sites if I go to Google Analytics and do a break down of visitors by browser type, if there is a substantial amount of people visiting with IE 6, I don't want to lose them. So I code for IE 6. But most of the time on my sites they tend to be like 1% of visitors so I never really take it into account.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

I agree with Martyr2, if there is a significant amount of users still on IE6 then support it. By general rule I do not, but if I need to I will (or more often I would make a limited version just for them, which has all the functionality).

You will find that if your website is to be used heavily in businesses or educational places (such as for an intranet) then IE6 will be very common.

Usually it is not, and I believe Microsoft encourage developers to not worry about it as much as we used to. I find it annoying enough to support IE8! Haha.

EDIT:

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser aternatives.

When looking at browser statistics, W3schools is not reliable as their target audience are people with a technological knowledge or interest.

This post has been edited by Shane Hudson: 14 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

If developers keep supporting IE6 then it's just encouraging people to continue using it.

I somewhat disagree. Most people using IE6 are not doing so by choice. IE7 comes with Windows Update on XP now, and Win 7 comes with IE8 by default. So anyone running an even partially-updated OS should have IE 7 or greater, which you certainly should be coding for (just because its estimated to have over 40% of the browser market share).

The people using IE6 aren't the kind of people that can change it, since most of them are using it at work. I work at a major credit union. I once did a breakdown of our logs, and I noticed that based on percent of hits per that hour, work hours and especially lunch hours had the highest incidence of IE6 hits.

Most of these companies aren't going to care if your site doesn't work. If anyone complains to the IT department, they'll ask "what do you need that site for?" If you don't have a compelling business case, then you're likely to be told you shouldn't be browsing it in the first place.

It's easy to just write off IE6 users as people too lazy to upgrade, but they're really not. So as I said before, and as Martyr2 said, consider your audience. If nothing else, provide a more basic interface for older, crappier browsers, with a notice that says you need a more modern browser to enjoy more modern features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

I only develop two versions back. So I'll develop for IE9 and IE8. I do venture to try and have my websites be compatible with all modern web browsers to the best of my abilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

I'd just like to point out how messed up it is that a mark up language designed to be cross-OS ended up never actually being cross-OS.
:angry:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

It's not only Microsoft that does this, by the way.

moz-border-radius
webkit-border-radius

Each browser still does things in whatever way they feel like. What can you do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 21 February 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

It's not only Microsoft that does this, by the way.

moz-border-radius
webkit-border-radius

Each browser still does things in whatever way they feel like. What can you do?

I actually prefer the Mozilla's approach to gradients.

You can also do:
border-radius.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +