2 Replies - 1282 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2001 - 12:11 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

unlimited data transfer my donkey.

Posted 29 June 2001 - 08:42 AM

i noticed d.i.c. is hosted by blue zebra and saw their 'unlimited data transfer' claim. i sort of stumbled on some people who've been jacked by hosting companies that claim to have 'unlimited data transfer' but have not-so-visible *terms and conditions. some of these people were hit with thousands of dollars in extra bills.

so, out of curiosity, i hit blue zebra to see how they could offer 'unlimited data transfer' (which, essentially is impossible to -truely- find with a host). sue me, i was bored. so here's the low down on BZ:

Main Page makes the 'unlimited data transfer' claim (no disclaimer, or even a hint of one here). This is hyperlinked to Plans page which continues offering 'unlimited' 'monthly data transfer' (no disclaimer, or even a hit of one here - though there is for the 'Setup Fee*' *waved if you pay annually!). The 'monthly data transfer' is linked to: Monthly Transfer definition page which links to Account Policies page and here, finally, we find the real deal on Unlimited Data Transfer at BZ.

These are just the highlights:
"We offer unlimited traffic on our Plan A, Plan B and Plan C accounts to give you peace of mind.  However, please note that the following types of sites do not qualify for unlimited traffic: "

"Sites containing archives or galleries or offering files for download do not qualify for unlimited traffic unless the file types involved (e.g. .jpg, .gif, .tar, .gz, .exe, .zip etc) make up less than 20% of the site's total traffic;"
[do the math on this one and you'll see how ridiculous it is]

"Sites utilizing 'domain parking' (more than one domain name points to your home page);"
[and the reason this is such a drain on their system is? what, essentially is the difference between having 500 people hit your site through www.thissite.com compared to 300 through www.thissite1.com and 200 through www.thissite2.com?]

"Sites which generate an unusually high amount of traffic from images or other binary files (such as Java applets, mp3 or sound files).  That is, if more than 20% of a site's traffic is from images or other binary files, then that site will not qualify for unlimited traffic."
[This one is the BEST! Is there another kind of file, -besides- binary that can be transfered on the internet?]

moral of the story (for those of you who've taken the time to read this far): if you see 'unlimited data transfer,' rest-assured, you'd be well advised to read the small print.

so any of you homies been jacked by hosting companies? got a story to tell? human beings are unique because we don't have to learn by experience. :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: unlimited data transfer my donkey.

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: unlimited data transfer my donkey.

Posted 29 June 2001 - 12:54 PM

#Moderation Mode

Moved to hosting

Moved here

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: unlimited data transfer my donkey.

Posted 01 July 2001 - 12:11 AM

Yup. I got caught with a host I found on host index for 7 bucks a month. Sweet deal, not a lot of space, but it offered unlimited bandwidth, and so I jumped on it. Good deal right?

I get an angry e-mail from them threatening to cut off ftp access and delete the account if I don't pay them the extra money about 3 months later. I'm like WTF?! They say I haven't been responding to letters, and I'm scratching my head because I never received any letters. Then it occured to me!

I had signed up using an alias and my post office box which I use for this sort of crap, and was paying by check, which doesn't make me liable. They were billing someone that didn't exist! I got the runaround about the unlimited bandwidth thing, when I shot an angry e-mail back at them about their "unlimited bandwidth". Upon their response, I quickly DL the site to my H/D and did a quickly volunteered my webspace, ftp login etc to a warez site to be a mirror for a while. I got about 3 more e-mails from them, angrier and angrier. They finally gave me the actual bil of how much "I" owed for bandwidth usage via e-mail, and it was like 500 bucks or some outrageous amount like that. The bandwidth usage had tripled since I gave the site over to the warez mirror.

Ironicly enough, the post office contacted me shortly thereafter saying my box was too full... Oh, and as you can imagine, I never paid. ;-)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1