What IDE would you recommend I use on Linux?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

34 Replies - 4481 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2011 - 10:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What IDE would you recommend I use on Linux?

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yeah I get that, and your comment really didn't affect my decision at all. I just read a lot of material regarding vim and it seems something that I actually might enjoy learning. Nothing worth learning comes easy and this just might pay dividends in the future, who knows?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

with both emacs and vim it's fairly easy to learn how to do basic editing stuff. Bringing yourself up to the same level you were with an IDE will take lots of practice and learning though. But, as you said, it is very rewarding to learn.

Well Ruby is a script so for any script language you can use your favorite text editor.

Nit picking I know but...according to the author of Ruby and its corresponding Wikipedia page:

Ruby is a dynamic, reflective, general purpose object-oriented programming language that combines syntax inspired by Perl with Smalltalk-like features

The reason you can edit very high level languages like Ruby, Python, etc, in text editors is because your code base ends up being really small and really manageable.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 15 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Winning
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

I wasn't really fond of VIM until I was forced to use it one day I had problems with my Eclipse IDE and now i've got addicted to VIM, I can't get myself off it. I find VIM really easy when dealing with web development scripts since it's not heavy on the CPU.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Back when I did a lot of Ruby development on Linux I used Vim. It's not that bad once you get the hang of it.

EDIT: Probably good to find yourself a vim cheat sheet to reference for a while.

This post has been edited by Skaggles: 15 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Vim is more like a cult... Emacs kind of a small unwashed country. ;) Anyways, those are the OMG *nix editors. I prefer vim, but only because it's uglier cousin vi is available from every terminal, no matter what. I'll stay in vi for shell and config scripts, but usually bail to something more GUI for a programing groove. I've thought to "master" vim, but it just never seems worth it after a while.

When programmers say "editor" it's doesn't matter which. The point to be able to compose a program without a net, from the blank page. Syntax highlighting is frosting on top.

For vim, learn the navigation keys first: hjkl^$GH And ESC really does mean escape, you'll hit it a lot. ZZ will save and leave. x, yy, dd, p will give you the basics. It's like anything else; just use it. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

could just keep using visual studio, the latest Iron Ruby includes integration for Visual Studio 2010, which includes ruby console projects, ruby on rails projects, sinatra projects, rubygem projects, and ruby silverlight web pages. It doesn't seem to have support for intellisense though.

Iron Ruby

Edit: of course that would not be on linux unless you were running windows in a virtual environment

This post has been edited by Nakor: 15 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

GEdit and a terminal. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

When I would play around with ruby when I had linux installed I mostly used gedit as well, though I bounced between that and vim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

@baavgai

I have worked with Visual Studio for quite a while. I guess it's a newby IDE, but you can still do very advanced things. Recently however i looked at things like Agile Programming, or as some also prefer xp programming/extreme programming. This is a good way of programming and sure lots of people have a different approach. But what I learned from that has defenitely improved my code quality, and wow through Team Server all our bugs, and new ideas/stories (as they are called) are broken down in realizable units (do able in 3 weeks or so) this in return can be handed back to the client and with unit testing on top of it, it's quite reliable way of doing coding..

So I don't think Microsoft had newbies in mind when they designed visual studio. :)

This is just an insight as to what Microsoft has offered. I have not experienced any other language that can do something similar but I am always willing to learn.

thumbs up
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

For the Vim v Emacs...both are available on any platform in both graphical and console based levels. (consider me dirty and unwashed because emacs is my way for minimalist programming)

As far as full featured...Eclipse is everywhere with any possible plugin you could want. That's probably what you want but remember it is not VS. It never well be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

As much as you enjoy your IDE, you'll thank yourself for learning Emacs /Vim. I am a huge Emacs fanatic. I do all of my text editing in Emacs. All of my coding in any language is done in Emacs. I am actually writing a book on Clojure in Emacs.

Emacs bridges the gap between IDE and text editor. It is much more than just an editor. You can write code to make Emacs do anything you want. There are modes for everything from VCS management to file managers to Tetris. If you learn Emacs and find it to be lacking something, chances are, somebody somewhere has written a mode for it. If not, you can write it yourself.

Emacs (and even Vim, despite my obvious bias) is a considerable skill to have. I assure you, you won't be sorry that you aren't held back by limitations of colossal IDE all the time.

If you decide to play with Emacs, feel free to PM me with questions and such. I'm happy to help.

P.S: I wrote this on my Evo, sorry for any typos.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

View Postmotcom, on 16 February 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

So I don't think Microsoft had newbies in mind when they designed visual studio. :)

When I say it's for newbies, I mean it has a very gentle learning curve. You can fire up VS, know nothing about programming, and pretty much drag and drop your way to something runnable with little effort. There are tons of options, windows, and alerts that will guide you on your way. The debugger alone is amazing.

Professionals use the same Visual Studio that the beginner uses. No one complains about the wealth of tools available to them. Every bell and whistle imaginable is in the product. Those Team options aren't in Express or even the entry level stuff. The "Ultimate" version has an incredible amount of stuff to play with; at a 10K price tag. Not intended for beginners.

Contrast this to other programming environments: Stick an newbie in front of vi and watch them cry. Managing make files can involve killing a chicken. Even PHP, an entry level web language, will ask you to understand a lot more going in than VS.

If you want fun in VS, fire up a Win32 project. Here is where the old, grizzled, Microsoft programmers presumably live. It's actually a bit of a mess and far less intuitive than C#, VB, or even C++.NET. Those who program here don't expect friendly faces, they'll just figure it out on their own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

If you've decided on VIM here's some screencasts I came across
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for sharing but I've decided to stick with EMacs. The Vim commands just cramped my hand, it's like a midget created the commands without thinking about a normal sized hand. :P

EMacs feels more natural and Rayne shared some good links via PM. I love using Emacs now. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:14 AM

People I know who use vim are complete advocates. I personally don't enjoy using it myself but here's one of my buddies vim reference pages if you decide to go back down that route. It's not all inclusive but it will get you started and a little farther.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +