2 Replies - 1358 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2011 - 12:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_nickpcb*

Help getting started on browser based text game

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Hi, I have never coded anything besides Basic 15 years ago so I need some tips before I get started on this. I would like to make a text based browser space exploration and trading game like Merchant Empires, TDZK or Space Merchant. Basicly You have a map you can move around on and fight other players and trade goods at ports.

From what I gather reading these forums I will need to learn Html, Css, Mysql and php. Sound right?

What will I need to set up the server? Can I do that initialy on windows vista? Or will I need a special server OS?

Are there any programs to help accelerate the coding process? Last year I tried to start this and I download the microsoft program that helps write in Asp but I couldnt get any further than creating the web pages and browsing between them. I had no idea how to make a PvP game from there. So I guess what I'm trying to ask here is was I on the right track or should I forget about asp?

Does anyone know of any open source code that could be converted into the game I want to make?

There are probably more questions that I don't know I should be asking so any additional info on setting this up and getting started would be appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Help getting started on browser based text game

• Indie Game Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help getting started on browser based text game

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yup..PHP, MySql, html are good things to start learning. Regarding the server, you can make your game and test it locally using Apache server that comes with WAMP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help getting started on browser based text game

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

I wanted to do a command line text based game and I read up on some javascript and hashed out the simple control statements. PHP is going to be necessary for you if you want to create a multiplayer online game.

I would start with a single player version of this game first focusing on the mechanics and the programming syntax.

Check out http://www.w3schools.com/ for some tutorials
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1