2 Replies - 533 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Determining My First Web Server Composition

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could help me with my current dilemma. I am working on a B Sc in Comp Sci. I am a good Java programmer and have only dabbled a bit in PHP, Python, and C/C++. I am looking to set up some type of Server for hosting my portfolio and possibly some other minor sites on. I am unsure of what type of technology to use for web hosting.

Is it worth looking into Java for web programming, possibly J2EE? I'm unsure of what I need to allow me to use Java as a web programming server-side language. If i did choose Java or whatever it's corresponding framework/add-on might be, what are my choices for Servers? Apache, Oracle Solaris, Apache Tomcat, etc? And which would you recommend?

Am I better off looking into something else like Apache/PHP?

How does Ruby/Ruby On Rails fair in this? What type of Server is recommended for that?

How do Python, Ruby, and Perl compare for web use?

And finally, what are the current trends in terms of up and coming languages or Server technology to use? I would rather learn something that will be useful for a long time rather than learning some dinosaur of a language that is easy but going extinct.

I know I have a lot of broad questions. I am having a hard time determining what type of setup to go with. I am looking to go completely free in terms of software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Determining My First Web Server Composition

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Determining My First Web Server Composition

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hey.

What seems to have been most popular for like the last decade has been the LAMP setup. (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. Sometimes Perl and Python to.)
It's extremely easy to set up. Just pick up the server edition of any Linux distro and you are guaranteed to have it included.
If you are worried about this combo falling out of favor, then don't. It'll probably out live all of us :P

I've never done much work in Java, but I did test the GlassFish server that came with Netbeans. It seemed to work pretty well.
(My expertise on this subject just shines through, doesn't it! :))

You may have disqualified .NET for it's Microsoftness and the accompanying floods of cash required, but the Mono project is worth checking out. I've been using it lately and it seems to have become a pretty good way to run .NET code freely on Linux. - I believe C# is the runner-up to PHP in the server-side website development popularity contest, and it is probably what is most like Java.

To be honest, out of the three Java is probably the one most at risk of becoming extinct. (In the server-side world, at least.)

I won't comment on Ruby on Rails. Haven't the foggiest about that one, although I've heard good things about it from PHP developers used to using heavy-duty frameworks for all their work.

I'd recommend trying PHP. You can easily set up a development environment on any PC, using things like XAMPP, and if you decide to use it you can set up a server in minutes using one of the more popular Linux distros. (I like Ubuntu, personally.)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Determining My First Web Server Composition

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Wow, thank you very much, that was all really helpful :) I'd still like to here from a ruby user on this topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1