Q re: Random Access Files, data-aware obj...

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

190 Replies - 12313 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2011 - 04:46 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Q re: Random Access Files, data-aware obj...

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostBobRodes, on 25 February 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

Ok. I understand about not using Microsoft Controls. There's a distinction to be made between controls and class libraries. The latter can be quite useful, and bring some of the more old-fashioned aspects of VB (such as file manipulation statements that go back 50 years) into a more OO paradigm. So, I would by all means learn the old-fashioned file manipulations, but don't get the idea that they are inherently more efficient than, say, using the FileSystemObject stuff. Also, ADO recordsets can be most efficient and very easy to use as a means of reading through a bunch of non-relational data. That's basically why I'm "banging on" about it here.

As for what I used for the delimited file, well, I used my favorite text editor and put the commas in by hand. :)

Ok i think it connected... except that it didnt do anything past that... for starters i tried to work with the system you used,,, i am attaching the program and the text files.... Also in this case how do i set and then use fields, it didnt seem to want to let me do... well do i have to declare them as fields? or will the ADO figure that out...

GRRRRR... not very fun times...

Jesse Fender

Attached File  TESTDB.zip (3.08K)
Number of downloads: 68
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

First off, I'd like to say that I've led you down the garden path a bit with a couple of my posts. I'm embarrassed to say that I found out the hard way that the Text OLE DB provider supports neither sorting nor updating through the recordset. I apologize for not checking it before I started telling you about it. Nevertheless, I still recommend recordsets as a means of looking around in your text file. It's much easier to view the data this way than it is to do it by using FileStreams or the old READ command. You can easily iterate through the recordset, appending records to a text file as you go using Print as you are now doing to put the header in the text file.

To answer your question here: there are several ways to reference a field in a recordset. I'll use your ID field as an example:
rs.Fields!ID
rs.Fields("ID")
rs.Fields(0) 'fastest, but hardest to use in terms of human readability
'any of the above can remove the reference to the Fields collection, as it is the default property of the rs object, thus:
rs!ID
rs("ID")
rs(0)
'all work as well
A few more things. You don't need to dynamically populate your command buttons and text boxes. While clever, it's much simpler to simply put them all in the form at design time, and make them visible or invisible as needed. Dynamic control creation is best when you don't know how many of a given control you're doing to need. This is not the case here; you do know.

Also, avoid using the initialize event if you can put something in the load event. You will often need to reference stuff that the form contains, which isn't available until you start to load the form.

Since I got you into this to some extent, I have to stick with you until you have a good solution. I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. So, before I make any more suggestions, can I ask you to put down clearly what it is you are trying to do exactly? Then I can make better suggestions about how to go about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

I've been refreshing my memory about text file handling, which I generally don't do the old fashioned way. I would strongly recommend born2code's excellent http://www.dreaminco...quential-files/ as required reading.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostBobRodes, on 27 February 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

First off, I'd like to say that I've led you down the garden path a bit with a couple of my posts. I'm embarrassed to say that I found out the hard way that the Text OLE DB provider supports neither sorting nor updating through the recordset. I apologize for not checking it before I started telling you about it. Nevertheless, I still recommend recordsets as a means of looking around in your text file. It's much easier to view the data this way than it is to do it by using FileStreams or the old READ command. You can easily iterate through the recordset, appending records to a text file as you go using Print as you are now doing to put the header in the text file.

To answer your question here: there are several ways to reference a field in a recordset. I'll use your ID field as an example:
rs.Fields!ID
rs.Fields("ID")
rs.Fields(0) 'fastest, but hardest to use in terms of human readability
'any of the above can remove the reference to the Fields collection, as it is the default property of the rs object, thus:
rs!ID
rs("ID")
rs(0)
'all work as well
A few more things. You don't need to dynamically populate your command buttons and text boxes. While clever, it's much simpler to simply put them all in the form at design time, and make them visible or invisible as needed. Dynamic control creation is best when you don't know how many of a given control you're doing to need. This is not the case here; you do know.

Also, avoid using the initialize event if you can put something in the load event. You will often need to reference stuff that the form contains, which isn't available until you start to load the form.

Since I got you into this to some extent, I have to stick with you until you have a good solution. I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. So, before I make any more suggestions, can I ask you to put down clearly what it is you are trying to do exactly? Then I can make better suggestions about how to go about it.

To put as clearly as i possibly as i can what i am trying to do... :
I have at this time three programs that currently manipulate individual files for their own reading and writing from the program, E.G. the example i used with the 'WTReader' , 'Chair' , 'Host' , 'HostPhone' all used to be in their separate files. there were also files to specify the directories to look in to to find the file(s) to populate controls on one of my forms. I have found this to be much more complected to maintain my code and the files. So in the pure interest of simplifying and adding data information to the program to make it more dynamic, i have migrated to the random access file system. Where i can place many fields of information into one file and recall all that information with out much trouble. The other purpose to what i am trying to accomplish is to have better control of the data with in the files... for example i will use one of my problem files...
It involves many fields that have some relevance to each other... there is the ID, TalkNum, TalkName, TalkCat, and LastGiven fields,
The id is simply a position marker, mostly for me. The talknum is the talk number for the designated talk, talkname is the Theme of the talk number, the talkcat is the set category for the talk number, and the lastgiven is for the date the talk was last given. prior to dealing with the use of random access files, each field would have at least 1 to 2 files associated with it, if not more... meaning that my program would have to reference to more files to get the same thing done. so i have a random access file that stores all this wonderful information, and i can use the wonderful loop to grab information from the fields i want, and then search for desired characteristics, such as the talks catigory, and have it loop through the RAF and only add to the combo box what talks meet the searched for characteristics.

Adding information has caused unneeded bloating of the programs exe file as well, For example, one application has 11 forms, most for the adding and removal of information from individual files, the exe file alone is 8MB (My second largest EXE ever produced.) A fully built program with its files can be rather large for the use. It shouldn't be as large as it is. By moving to RAF is can make the programs exploded and built size more compact, and the exe would only need a few forms to handle and modify the RAFs. The neat thing about all this is that i am slowly learning about data handling which has been helpful in what i am working with for now.

The need to have current records and easy navigation is essential to what is going to be a very nicely packed set of files to hold the data, my test applications which to read about can be read and or dl here on this thread, are all dealing with the implementation of the new data file situation. The principle is to have the application open and be ready to go...

This application model is meant to have files that can be searched and edited, having records added and and removing records from being searched(deleted...) even if an actual deletion isn't carried out. The idea was to make the program a little more robust, and flexible with out dealing with big and heavy-weighted database systems...(The biggest application was 11MB and was using an MDB, this is a rewritten version of that application...X2)

Due to the fact that the applications are still being worked on and all are still in either beta or rc releases i can attach files if you really want to see why i am trying to break away from seq files... and all that goodness...

if that isn't specific enough let me know...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

Ok, so let's narrow this down. We'll start by rigorously avoiding any information that answers the question "how do you want to do it?" and focuses instead on "what do you want to do?"

So, let's start with this: what does the user need to see and why?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

View PostBobRodes, on 27 February 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

Ok, so let's narrow this down. We'll start by rigorously avoiding any information that answers the question "how do you want to do it?" and focuses instead on "what do you want to do?"

So, let's start with this: what does the user need to see and why?

I can list it better, because i need to do some different things with the different programs... so i will list the essentials.

In Order from most important to least important:
1: The user needs to be able to search, add, edit, and remove (or mark so as the program skips the entry) items from the file be it a Random Access File, or a delimited text file.
--> The reason is so that the user can have control of the files and the information in the files.

2: The user needs to be able to access the information from the files, read it into the programs form either the entire "Field" or individual items depending on the program needs.
--> in some of my programs the user will need to select items from a combo box, list box, and have it control the control next to it... in others, the only thing needed is to get some values to add them together and put the new values back into the file.

3: i would like to simplify my program by having one or two forms to handle the files instead of the mess i have now.
--> simply a desire to make the program as small as i can get it for distribution, and make it easier for the end user to build and manipulate their files.

4: I would like to move towards a more organized system for accessing files and data instead of having "Path.txt" files to indicate where the program can look next, i would like to have my db files have the paths embedded in them so that i can reduce file accesses.

5: Just cause...
--> I want to learn more advanced file handling and this is a benefit of doing the above mentioned items... Now i know i can be a pain in the rear, believe me i am learning... maybe not as fast as we all would like, but i am... I am focusing on the RAF system as i have it pretty much working atm... and in the future i will move on to the ADO procedures and i need to get this rolling and i have to learn one thing at a time.

That is a seriously simplified version of what general ideas i need to get done... Mind you that most of the information here i am going to be modifying it to be handled by the DLL file i am working on... so please keep it simple... i don't understand much so it takes me a little to get everything and how to accomplish my goals with my programs.

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Let's take your number 5 first. I think it's great that you're going to the trouble of doing this. Shows that you're the sort of person who likes to know what's going on under the hood.

Now, let's work on your requirements. By the way, about half the IT initiatives that get started never get finished, most of those due to incorrect requirements specifications. A heck of a lot of this business is about making sure you have the requirements down. So, part of the reason I'm doing this is to give a lesson on just how picky you need to be about it. As I tell my clients, I'd rather have them mad at me now than later. :) So:

1. You mention "programs" a good deal without explaining what they are and what they do. Why do you need "different" programs that all appear to need to do the same thing?
2. Can I verify that when you say "File" you mean the text files that you are manipulating, and not some file name that is stored in the text file?

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 24 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

View PostBobRodes, on 28 February 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Let's take your number 5 first. I think it's great that you're going to the trouble of doing this. Shows that you're the sort of person who likes to know what's going on under the hood.

Now, let's work on your requirements. By the way, about half the IT initiatives that get started never get finished, most of those due to incorrect requirements specifications. A heck of a lot of this business is about making sure you have the requirements down. So, part of the reason I'm doing this is to give a lesson on how picky you need to be about it. As I tell my clients, I'd rather have them mad at me now than later. :) So:

1. You mention "programs" a good deal without explaining what they are and what they do. Why do you need "different" programs that all appear to need to do the same thing?
2. Can I verify that when you say "File" you mean the text files that you are manipulating, and not some file name that is stored in the text file?

Well The main program is the reason for the other two... in my quest to get the first right i built the others... odd huh... The main program I a Talk coordinating planner, the goal behind it was to make the scheduling process easier and more uniform. most of its size is for maintaining the data files (Yes the Files are all for ones that are being manipulated in one way or the other...) the main scheduler is one form with many controls that work with the files to create a talk schedule.
One of the other programs is one that i wrote to get over a hurdle i had with the TCP program, it is used for tracking daily time, and placements, miles and the such... the third is for checking in and out of a territory, to log the process and to keep track of the territories that are out at the moment... allowing some one simple access to check in or out territories, and admin access to handle the and view the logs.

They all work with the same file system, but are different in what they actually do... There will be a time where i will create a program that will house all of these programs in one big application, at this time i am working on them separately.

I hope that helps clarify a little bit...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Yes it does clarify. Now, let me ask you to think about what those programs have in common as regards data access. From thinking about that you can derive an interface (a set of methods and properties, basically) that each one can use that will serve up the data in the way you want. You will also hide the complexities of the actual data access from the consumers of the data (the three programs).

So now, take a shot at telling me what your methods and properties will look like in your data object.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

well it would be nice to get that dll file to open and handle all the heavy work of the the file manipulation, but that isn't going to happen if i cant open and keep the information accessible from the program. The trouble comes from the fact that i am moving from a system that is pretty much in place already, so designing or describing what the newer system holds in methods or procedures is a little difficult.

If i can fit more information in the files the better it would be... what would be really cool is if i could some how create tables in the files to handling the search indexes.

I figure in the TCP program having a form with tabs each tab deals with the file(s) fields, it would call the dll with params sending information to the dll procedure, when it will be placed in or recoverd out of the file and placed back into the program.

In the other two programs the time tracker, and territory tracker (I know not very imaginable name right?) the calls would be really similar... but the fact that the program would be dealing with much less code so as to eliminate severe problems in debugging and beta testing the software. from about five to ten procedures to maybe 2 to four...

Other than that the real soul purpose is to be able to open the file go to a specific spot pull the data from that spot and manipulate, then put it back in the spot we pulled it out of.

As far as removal or deletion of records... I have decided to create and use an inactive marker, something like an astrisk or brackets of some sort to mark records as inactive...

You see Bob, I have more ideas that i know what to do with... one major hurdle was overcome when i saw that you had replied, even before i opened the tread to read what you wrote...

In dealing with talk information, The file i designed looked some thing like:
ID,TalkNum,TalkTheme,TalkCategory,DTElastGiven...

I figured out that there are only so many talk categories so to add a "reference" to the talk cat number, like so:

ID,TalkNum,TalkTheme,TalkCategory,CategoryGroup,DTELastGiven

the category group that is an integer and would reference to the talk number... since i have a search loop that pulls the data from the file stacked it in an array, searches out the searched for value, and stacks an array with the results... namely the position numbers to display via the value on the array...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

Ok, you're having a little trouble seeing the forest for the trees. But you're getting there. Forget about the how for a minute. Suppose you were making a toaster, for example. The user of the toaster doesn't care about the switch mechanism, or whether the induction coils are made this or that way, or whether there's a temperature sensor to figure out when the toast is done or whatever. He wants to plug it in, put in two pieces of bread, push down a lever, and have the lever pop up when the bread has turned into toast. How would you model this behavior?

Similarly, someone (you, of course, but wearing a different hat, you see) wants to get data. He doesn't care whether you store it in a text file or in SQL Server, or whether you use arrays, or whatever. He wants to say gimme these data, got it, thanks very much. Then he wants to say save these data. Maybe get rid of these data. Whatever. Don't all your programs want to do these things? Probably. So what sort of INTERFACE would accomplish this? Think about that, and express (model) it in terms of methods (stuff your interface does) and properties (characteristics of your interface).

To that end, here's your post, with comments:

well it would be nice to get that dll file to open and handle all the heavy work of the the file manipulation, but that isn't going to happen if i cant open and keep the information accessible from the program. [which you can do, of course]The trouble comes from the fact that i am moving from a system that is pretty much in place already, so designing or describing what the newer system holds in methods or procedures is a little difficult.[think more about what it DOES]

If i can fit more information in the files the better it would be... what would be really cool is if i could some how create tables in the files to handling the search indexes.[irrelevant at present]

I figure in the TCP program having a form with tabs each tab deals with the file(s) fields, it would call the dll with params sending information to the dll procedure, when it will be placed in or recoverd out of the file and placed back into the program.[sounds important....how?]

In the other two programs the time tracker, and territory tracker (I know not very imaginable name right?) the calls would be really similar...[that's why we have a single interace] but the fact that the program would be dealing with much less code so as to eliminate severe problems in debugging and beta testing the software. from about five to ten procedures to maybe 2 to four...[don't follow you here, but doesn't look quite relevant]

Other than that the real soul purpose is to be able to open the file go to a specific spot pull the data from that spot and manipulate, then put it back in the spot we pulled it out of.[sounds like an interface forming out of primordial ooze]

As far as removal or deletion of records... I have decided to create and use an inactive marker, something like an astrisk or brackets of some sort to mark records as inactive...[just the sort of details that an interface hides...irrelevant for the present in other words]

You see Bob, I have more ideas that i know what to do with...[gonna have to correct that] one major hurdle was overcome when i saw that you had replied, even before i opened the tread to read what you wrote...

ID,TalkNum,TalkTheme,TalkCategory,DTElastGiven...[not sure we care about this, a method should be able to return data with varied fields]
[the rest is irrelevant to an interface (although it's important to come up with a good structure for data storage). What matters is that you need to be able to perform a search in some way, assuming that's necessary to at least some of your data functions. Your method should be as "structurally agnostic" as possible.]
I figured out that there are only so many talk categories so to add a "reference" to the talk cat number, like so:

the category group that is an integer and would reference to the talk number... since i have a search loop that pulls the data from the file stacked it in an array, searches out the searched for value, and stacks an array with the results... namely the position numbers to display via the value on the array...
Does this help? Let's see what you can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

View PostBobRodes, on 28 February 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

Ok, you're having a little trouble seeing the forest for the trees. But you're getting there. Forget about the how for a minute. Suppose you were making a toaster, for example. The user of the toaster doesn't care about the switch mechanism, or whether the induction coils are made this or that way, or whether there's a temperature sensor to figure out when the toast is done or whatever. He wants to plug it in, put in two pieces of bread, push down a lever, and have the lever pop up when the bread has turned into toast. How would you model this behavior?

Similarly, someone (you, of course, but wearing a different hat, you see) wants to get data. He doesn't care whether you store it in a text file or in SQL Server, or whether you use arrays, or whatever. He wants to say gimme these data, got it, thanks very much. Then he wants to say save these data. Maybe get rid of these data. Whatever. Don't all your programs want to do these things? Probably. So what sort of INTERFACE would accomplish this? Think about that, and express (model) it in terms of methods (stuff your interface does) and properties (characteristics of your interface).

To that end, here's your post, with comments:

well it would be nice to get that dll file to open and handle all the heavy work of the the file manipulation, but that isn't going to happen if i cant open and keep the information accessible from the program. [which you can do, of course]The trouble comes from the fact that i am moving from a system that is pretty much in place already, so designing or describing what the newer system holds in methods or procedures is a little difficult.[think more about what it DOES]

If i can fit more information in the files the better it would be... what would be really cool is if i could some how create tables in the files to handling the search indexes.[irrelevant at present]

I figure in the TCP program having a form with tabs each tab deals with the file(s) fields, it would call the dll with params sending information to the dll procedure, when it will be placed in or recoverd out of the file and placed back into the program.[sounds important....how?]

In the other two programs the time tracker, and territory tracker (I know not very imaginable name right?) the calls would be really similar...[that's why we have a single interace] but the fact that the program would be dealing with much less code so as to eliminate severe problems in debugging and beta testing the software. from about five to ten procedures to maybe 2 to four...[don't follow you here, but doesn't look quite relevant]

Other than that the real soul purpose is to be able to open the file go to a specific spot pull the data from that spot and manipulate, then put it back in the spot we pulled it out of.[sounds like an interface forming out of primordial ooze]

As far as removal or deletion of records... I have decided to create and use an inactive marker, something like an astrisk or brackets of some sort to mark records as inactive...[just the sort of details that an interface hides...irrelevant for the present in other words]

You see Bob, I have more ideas that i know what to do with...[gonna have to correct that] one major hurdle was overcome when i saw that you had replied, even before i opened the tread to read what you wrote...

ID,TalkNum,TalkTheme,TalkCategory,DTElastGiven...[not sure we care about this, a method should be able to return data with varied fields]
[the rest is irrelevant to an interface (although it's important to come up with a good structure for data storage). What matters is that you need to be able to perform a search in some way, assuming that's necessary to at least some of your data functions. Your method should be as "structurally agnostic" as possible.]

Does this help? Let's see what you can do.

Ok Bob lets try this again.

1: The user logs in to his/her account...
(Sets the program to look at the individuals account files,, Not that thats important to know for the user he needs to nbe looking at their data not some one else's)
2: The user can do tow things, they can look at the database information OR they can set up a schedule (Which requires teh user to have the db files all set up already...)
3: If they chose to look at and or modify the database files, the user would open the database access form and would select the "Section" that they want to deal with(Either by tabs, buttons, check boxes, option buttons, scroll bars etc.) Then the appropriate fields would magically appear (namely do to either dynamic creation or be hidden from view...) the user inputs desired data in the right fields, and then presses a command button, which makes the telecalls to the dll file to do the dirty work.
In retreaving information from the files useing the magic dll file as a connection link...(I have been working on this... Please check out my post on Dll files...HERE) Any who it would magicly show teh information after pressing a button, likely named search or go.
4: If the user decided to create a schedule they would open the form that handles the scheduling, Using the combination of controls (Check boxes, text boxes, option buttons, Combo boxes, and command buttons) to then call to that magical dll file and pull the desired information. and place it in the non existant form, to be printed of course...

That in a nutshell is what i would like to have happen... Yes all my applications use a similar system for reading and writing information to files... they do not do all the same things with the information that is recovered.

Finally you asked in regards to the information, i have a demo project that i have been working with a simple search, however some issues regarding recovering all the semi-relevant information using a wild card is not working atm so i wont embarrass myself about posting that idea here...

It is important that the user be able to do the following...:
Add to the db,
Edit items in the db,
"Remove" items from the db,
move through items in the db,
and search based on criteria items in specific fields in db using some sort of wild card.

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

All right, good. We're getting somewhere. Sounds like you have some ideas about what you want everything to do, some ideas about layout, and some ideas about underlying architecture.

Let's talk about so-called "3-tier" architecture. 3 layers to an application: presentation, business, data. Presentation obviously has to do with UI. Business encapsulates business rules, for example when you say you don't want anyone looking at anyone else's data, you want someone to have data in place before they do any scheduling, and so on. Data layer takes requests for data and requests for changes and implements them when and where appropriate.

So, your ideas are taking shape. Suppose you take a bit of time to organize them into these categories. As for your DLL thread, the last post on it is mine, two days ago. :)

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 01 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

View PostBobRodes, on 01 March 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

All right, good. We're getting somewhere. Sounds like you have some ideas about what you want everything to do, some ideas about layout, and some ideas about underlying architecture.

Let's talk about so-called "3-tier" architecture. 3 layers to an application: presentation, business, data. Presentation obviously has to do with UI. Business encapsulates business rules, for example when you say you don't want anyone looking at anyone else's data, you want someone to have data in place before they do any scheduling, and so on. Data layer takes requests for data and requests for changes and implements them when and where appropriate.

So, your ideas are taking shape. Suppose you take a bit of time to organize them into these categories. As for your DLL thread, the last post on it is mine, two days ago. :)

I know and i have been working on implementing the information from the tutorial and the code that you wrote, as wells as some other information. So that is way i havent really done much atm with that thread...

Jesse Fender

P.S. WooHoo! this is the first topic i have had thats considered "Hot" :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Ok. Maybe it's time to model out the data class. What methods and properties should it have, do you think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »