Thesis HELP

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

114 Replies - 4922 Views - Last Post: 15 March 2011 - 07:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Thesis HELP

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:25 AM

hi everybody! I would like to ask for help... is there a VERY simple way of making games in VB6? or do you have other ideas? please help me get a concrete idea to what kind of program i should make for our thesis that is on a beginner level coding. I thank those people who'll help me in advance!

thanks guys!

God bless!!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Thesis HELP

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Thesis HELP

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

How do you mean Simple way??

It would really depend on how simple you want the game to be.

If you're thinking of a "Guess the random number" type game, then the answer is yes.

If you're thinking of attempting a multi-player, graphical game, then yes it would be possible to make it, but it wouldn't be simple (and possibly not playable either - but that's a different story).

This post has been edited by maj3091: 18 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:02 AM

i would suggest vb.net and xna for that. with a good free engine and editor it will be rather easy to make a game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

View Postmaj3091, on 18 February 2011 - 04:56 AM, said:

How do you mean Simple way??

It would really depend on how simple you want the game to be.

If you're thinking of a "Guess the random number" type game, then the answer is yes.

If you're thinking of attempting a multi-player, graphical game, then yes it would be possible to make it, but it wouldn't be simple (and possibly not playable either - but that's a different story).

wow! thanks for the fast reply.

uhmm i was thinking of a sudoku or a connect 4 kind of game. is that possible in VB6?
sorry it's my first time making a thesis so i don't know the "ropes" yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:52 AM

Both would be possible in VB6.

Try having a look in the Tutorials and Snippets sections here as well as the Game Programming forum for more inspiration.

Just please don't expect anybody to write it for you.....Assistance will be offered if you show some willing on your part.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:00 AM

yes sir. i understand.

thanks for the assistance. by the way, i tried making a simple web browser using tutorials in a site from google search. do you think that's a good one for a thesis? our prof. didn't require us to make a very complicated project... she only said that she'd appreciate a slight complexity in our program. she also said one of her requirements is that the program should have it's own database. well, for a freshman student like me, i still don't have knowledge about the "database".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:29 AM

Maybe my understanding of your terminology is wrong, but I always thought the thesis was the final part of a college/university type diploma/degree course??

Only you can really decide what type of application would meet the criteria set by your professor.

There are some good examples of how to access databases in VB6 in the tutorials section as well as a whole forum on databases.

The best thing to do is to come up with an idea, that you believe is achievable within your programming abilities and have a go at it.

If/when you hit any stumbling blocks, then feel free to post back and ask for further assistance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

View Postmaj3091, on 18 February 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

Maybe my understanding of your terminology is wrong, but I always thought the thesis was the final part of a college/university type diploma/degree course??

Only you can really decide what type of application would meet the criteria set by your professor.

There are some good examples of how to access databases in VB6 in the tutorials section as well as a whole forum on databases.

The best thing to do is to come up with an idea, that you believe is achievable within your programming abilities and have a go at it.

If/when you hit any stumbling blocks, then feel free to post back and ask for further assistance.

uhm sir.. how do i apply a progress bar for my web browser?
and also a file downloading capability?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

Suppose you give us an overall idea of what your project is first. Have you decided on something?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

yes sir, i have decided i would make a web browser. maybe with download capabilities and a search box.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

Go to Project/Components and scroll down to "Microsoft HTML Object Library." Click the box there. You'll see a new control in your toolbox at the bottom: the Microsoft WebBrowser Control. Then google "MSHTML" and/or "MSHTMLCTL" and see if you can find some reference documentation for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:25 AM

View PostBobRodes, on 19 February 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

Go to Project/Components and scroll down to "Microsoft HTML Object Library." Click the box there. You'll see a new control in your toolbox at the bottom: the Microsoft WebBrowser Control. Then google "MSHTML" and/or "MSHTMLCTL" and see if you can find some reference documentation for it.

I have a question... how can i make the status strip diplay the page loading status?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:13 AM

another question... is it possible to store user names and passwords to a database in vb6?
if it is possible, how can i disallow access to my webbrowser if the user hasn't entered the correct username and password?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:36 AM

is it possible to password protect a VB application?(like a login form in which you cannot access the other forms without the right username and password entry that is stored in a simple(for beginners) but secure database? could you guys teach me how?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

You can find a tutorial in the tutorials section on how to access a database.

In regards to a login form, once you are familiar with the database access, you can create a simple form to accept a username and password and validate the entered details against the database.

When you have got this far, if you have any issues, please post back including your code, so people can assist you with specific issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »