3 Replies - 1919 Views - Last Post: 21 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Replace a white background - edges problem

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hi - I've attached an image I'm working on. It came with a white background, but I need to replace it with the dark brown you see in the image. However, the white background is aliased (is this the correct term?) so it's difficult to get a good border. Is there a way to do this more cleanly? The magic wand is just not sensitive enough for the image. I thought color replacement would be the answer, but I am correct to conclude that it does not replace white? Maybe I'm missing something.... Thanks

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Replace a white background - edges problem

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Replace a white background - edges problem

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

I assume you are using PhotoShop? If so, select the layer which has the lizard on it. This should be a different layer than the background color. Meaning the lizard is pasted on top of the background and that the background is not part of the same layer. Once you have this, under the "Layer" menu item at the very bottom should be an option called "Matting" and in that menu there is a Submenu called "Defringe". There are also items "Remove black Matte" and "Remove white Matte". These 3 options deal with the border around an image.. in this case the lizard. Try a few pixel setting and experiment. This will get rid of this border and give you a nicer line.

Hope that helps. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

Yup that'll do it. Sometimes I just use a really slight inner glow of the same colour of the background, can look pretty nice sometimes :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I still had to do a little cleanup by hand as the border was uneven.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1