• +

20 Replies - 785 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Your Smart Phone and why?

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

Ok Guys and Gals!

Here is the Question: Which smart phone do you have or would you recommend?

Our runners up are:

Android Based devices: Google

Windows 7 Phones: Micro$oft

Symbian OS: Nokia

and of course the iPhone: Apple

Please state your choice, and defend!

My choice is the HTC Android OS, I currently have the Wildfire, will be upgrading to the Aria late this month or early next.
I chose this phone because it is very much open source, and the SDK for the android platform is easily obtainable, plus with 1000's of apps there are sure to be several that you would use and enjoy on a daily basis, such as the widget for Urban Dictionary, or the FaceBook widget.
Plus there is an ease of using the system, Advanced Task Killer, instead of killing each app one by one, choose what ones to kill, or kill all.
HTC and Android for the WIN in my book.
Now how about yours?

This post has been edited by Asji: 20 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your Smart Phone and why?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your Smart Phone and why?

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

My choice, Android. Why? Lots of flexibility, wide open development, supported on many phones.

Why not the others? Simple...

Apple... too proprietary and they are getting worse for developers all the time.
Symbian OS... pretty much going to go bye bye, Nokia announced they are going to support Windows 7
Blackberry... I own a blackberry and the development for it is horrible. It is an alright phone otherwise.
Windows 7 Phones... too early to tell, too small of market share, it is made by Microsoft which has been known to not exactly be the most stable and can be very proprietary too. (Yeah evangelists like Core will probably rebut the claim. Can't please everyone)

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

iPhone all the way!
Though I will hold off judgement on the Win7phone for a year to see what kind of 3rd party support it gets.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have the IPhone 3GS looking into the IPhone 4 :)
I love this phone so much I have never had a better phone! The only problem with the SDK for developing apps and stuff is that you need to have a MAC pc... (I Think, correct me if im wrong) but I tried to get all the DEvelopment stuff from apple and you need a mac or something. Havnt really done much more research then that. But besides that Ive heard its easy to get it. I also like the fact that you can crack it, although never done it before Ive seen people with cracked Iphones and its pretty cool :)
I havnt had any problems with it and is by far the best smartphone i believe :)

I am eyeing out the blackberry though... I must admit mostly because of the BBM and the fact that everyone has one and cheaper texting and what not. But its nothing special.
Iphone FTW ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Android. I got the original Moto Droid early 2010 and I love it. It's integration with google is fantastic and I plan on sticking with it.

View PostMartyr2, on 20 February 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

Blackberry... I own a blackberry and the development for it is horrible. It is an alright phone otherwise.

Just out of curiosity... What is so horrible about developing for the Blackberry?

This post has been edited by keakTheGEEK: 20 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

I like Windows Phone 7. I love the UI and just waiting for the new updates for copy and paste and multitasking and ie 9 with html5 among other things.

I also like android, buts its too buggy and glitchy. Android 3.0 looks amazing though.

BlackBerry, no, hate the UI and its slow.

Symbian, never used it.

iPhone, never like it for some reason.

So all in all WP7 and android.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

I have an android phone and I'm in love with it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

iPhone. Why? Because it's hell to program for the others.

For Android, you're programming for 30+ phones, all with different API levels, so you have to make code compatible with all those phones to get the best out of it.

For Windows Phone 7, it's OK to do. There are good references and guides to make apps for it, but the market is currently to small to make a living off of.

For BlackBerry, it's the worst. There is minimal help for it, RIM doesn't even give good guides on developing for it. Hell, when I was looking into it, I couldn't find anything from RIM giving guides to BB development.

For Nokia, it's a dead market.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

Android. Easy to use, easy to code for, huge choice of phones, really customisable.

iPhone: I admit, they're not terrible phones, but there always seems to be loads of security flaws. Also can't stand people who own them because 95% of owners feel the need to get up in your face about why the iPhone is the superior device.
Blackberry: Ugly, slow, I like big screens which so few Blackberry phones have.
Symbian: 1990s much?
Win7Phone: Don't know much about it. Looks pretty slick, though.

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 24 February 2011 - 01:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

I've got Android, and It's awesome. Open-Source, easy to develop for. Google! (Although I'm stuck with 1.6 :(... Need an update. Badly!)

If I had the cash to burn, I'd probably test out the iPhone. It's a great device. A LOT proprietary, but I would probably be able to tolerate that as long as I kept my Android phone too :P

Win7... no way. Not yet anyways. I'm sticking to the "no M$ software until at least Service Pack 1" rule, and it's way to early. Besides, Microsoft haven't exactly excelled in the mobile department so far... Also, I'm assuming Win7 will be running on IE, and probably IE alone, and that's a deal-breaker for me. I couldn't in good conscience use IE on a day-to-day basis.

BlackBerry... Don't know. Never tested that. Don't really want to.

Symbian. Sadly Nokia is about to self-destruct so I won't go there again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

Android! I currently have the tmobile g2 from HTC (the non-tmobile versions are called the visions). I LOVE it!

I hate apple though, not just because they are hard on developers and seem to always want your money, but because of the cult that follows macs/iphones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:25 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 24 February 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Android! I currently have the tmobile g2 from HTC (the non-tmobile versions are called the visions). I LOVE it!

A second G2? The Magic was known as the G2 over here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Magic
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:39 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 24 February 2011 - 03:25 AM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 24 February 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

A second G2? The Magic was known as the G2 over here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Magic

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on with the G2 stuff. Last I remember it, it looked like that. But now they changed it to the vision.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:05 AM

I have a Nokia E63 on Symbian.

It's a no thrills phone with a qwerty keyboard, WiFi, Email and a basic App library. I use the Opera and Youtube apps.

For 75 unlocked and a pay as you go sim card which I pay 15 pound for whenever I want, you can't go wrong. I haven't programmed for phones before so I can't comment on the development platform.

I would love to own a HTC or iPhone as they are very good phones but the price tags and monthly fees don't do it for me. I'm also not too keen on the touch screen, I much prefer to use a keypad.

As for Blackberry, my girlfriend has one and they are absolutely shite. Crap interface and slow performance. They are a business phone for people who need to access email on the go and that's it. It makes me laugh when parents buy their 13 year old daughter one just so they can use the Facebook app and BBM messenger.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

iPhone - got it cheap for 200$ used and it works without me needing to fuck around with it, just like a phone should. It's a phone, right?!

It also has lots and lots of games to download and I've lost a lot of hours before playing Hook Champ and Cut The Rope. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The whole 'easier to code for on android/iphone/nokia/whatever' is only valid if you actually code for it. Most people just say it without actually doing anything with the phone. I don't really have time to learn how to code for a phone nor the desire, so that doesn't weigh into my decision.

Keep in mind I live in Bolivia so I don't need/use the whole always-connected-16G-facebook-social thing. I just use my phone and applications.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 24 February 2011 - 05:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +