3 Replies - 581 Views - Last Post: 21 February 2011 - 05:37 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Does your work disappear?

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

I use Linux and this isn't the 1st time this has happened to me.

I usually keep backs up, and there not corrupted. So, I open a folder, that contains the newest of my code creations, with all the lastest tweaks and what not. 5 mins later, all the important files begin to disapear.

Oh ok, maybe i accidently deleted them. So I check my trash.. hm... nothing... maybe I put them somewhere else... being to search, can't find them. Damn.. I screwed up. But its ok I have another backup. So I open the 2nd backup. Good the files are there. With the same structure so I copy it and begin to redo what I did before I lost my files. Ahh... done... 5 mins later again only that folder with those files disappear. So I go back to the backup, folder is empty. What the hell is going on? I think to my self. NEVER MIND, this has happened before. So I goto my 3rd backup, that I store with a different name. Good the files are there!

Copy those files, it finishes copying, but the folder is empty. The back is empty and all folders containing these particular codes are empty. Just 1 - 3 hours ago I had all the files, and now everything is gone, and it is only the same files that disappear.

Happened to anyone?

I'm on crunch time, and I can't do jack.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Does your work disappear?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Does your work disappear?

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

Uh - Virus detection is taking your files and putting them in quarantine?

Some other automated task is trying to do something and getting it wrong? Instead of real-time mirroring its *moving*? Backup/synch is moving instead of copying?

[WINDOWS]
Daily I backup the project I'm working on and timestamp it every 30 minutes or as I get to a good milestone. Just a simple selection of the folder then copy/paste, and add the date/time to the folder name.

Weekly I back up to a second drive, and then upload to the company server. Even if my house burns down the code is safe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

(Cryptic), what editor do you use to edit your code? Could be an issue with your program, & not the files.

I've seen where vi will lock the current changes in a temp file. If that file is left in a locked state, the file pre-changes will open up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:37 AM

I don't think its the editor, but I have had a similar problem with gedit before. Dealing with duplicate files.

But this problem I've had it in windows once and linux once. Both times, it happens when i'm copying I think. Not really sure, didnt pay much attention until I lost the files.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1