Which OS to use?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 2262 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which OS to use?

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Ok, I've got a mac, a pc and a laptop, I've used windows for most of my life, spent allot of time on mac and have recently been addicted to linux, i see upsides to all, mac has some nice default software, windows has the best compatibility and has nice usability and linux is fast efficient has nice default software and access to a huge array of free software, over all i think linux is the best the problem i have with it is compatibility, wine makes it compatible with allot more windows stuff but they can be glitchy and not everything works so i had to go back to windows so i can use some software ect, and im extremely annoyed with it its slower does stuff i dont want it to do, every time i install something my system has to restart, its aweful, and just to top its off on linux a game i play, minecraft ran lovely at average of 200fps i go over to windows and it black screen and runs at an average of 80 fps.

Anyway just a bit of a rant, but why cant these people get it right, ubuntu should be the standard installed os on computers from now on so people program for it rather than windows...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which OS to use?

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which OS to use?

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Woah dude....slow down. It's hard to follow you with that long sentence. However, I agree that you make some good points there about all three. This seems like an OS war. Let's keep it calm and professional, restrict it to pros/cons and away from "OMGZ insert os here is teh best[/i]".

Topic renamed and moved to the Corner Cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

...Use them all?

I dual boot my laptop with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10. Best of both worlds. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostLocke, on 20 February 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

...Use them all?

I dual boot my laptop with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10. Best of both worlds. :)

thats what im doing, but what if i want my software to work AND the speed and stability linux offers? Well then im fucked.

also im not asking with os to use i dont know why dogstopper renamed it to this the original name was Not one OS satisfies me, which suits what im saying much better as its basically a rant about just that, its annoying when they just change the names.

This post has been edited by Mokgar: 20 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

I renamed it so that it would be more of a discussion-style topic. Rants typically do not work out very well. I'd be happy to give your topic another title if you so desire.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostMokgar, on 20 February 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

ubuntu should be the standard installed os on computers

I disagree 100%.

I hate the Operating System & think it's killing Linux.

DogStopper said:

This seems like an OS war. Let's keep it calm and professional

It's difficult to suggest an Operating System to use without injecting personal preference when no real goal was ever given. What tires should I run on my car? What Gas Station should I fill up at?

Without knowing what you are wanting to do, & use the Operating System for, then there is nothing other than personal preference.

Use whatever you want. It's your machine. If it's a production question, then one can look at what the Operating Systems accomplish, how they perform, & then make a decision on what may work best for your situation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 February 2011 - 01:29 PM, said:

View PostMokgar, on 20 February 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

ubuntu should be the standard installed os on computers

I disagree 100%.

I hate the Operating System & think it's killing Linux.

DogStopper said:

This seems like an OS war. Let's keep it calm and professional

It's difficult to suggest an Operating System to use without injecting personal preference when no real goal was ever given. What tires should I run on my car? What Gas Station should I fill up at?

Without knowing what you are wanting to do, & use the Operating System for, then there is nothing other than personal preference.

Use whatever you want. It's your machine. If it's a production question, then one can look at what the Operating Systems accomplish, how they perform, & then make a decision on what may work best for your situation.

Ubuntu is the only linux OS ive tried, what is a good one? I love linux (Except the compatibility issues)if their are better linux Os' id love to try em out.

+ Ok dog, i'll trust your judgement ;)

This post has been edited by Mokgar: 20 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

I agree with no2pencil in the idea that we both dislike Ubuntu. I prefer Arch Linux over most things. Ubuntu just feels to Windowsy to me. I like the idea of my system where I know every component that exists, because I put it there or configured it to be that way. It is super fast because nothing exists that shouldn't. Of course, it makes it difficult for those who don't know how to script or use configuration files, but that's the reason that most love it. Ubuntu does too much for you IMO.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

How is Ubuntu "killing" Linux?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

It's crating a zombie hoard of point & click yuppies that would just as soon be Mac fanboys but are not because they can't afford the hardware.

Please explain to me again why I should not use a KDE window manager on a headless server?!

:stupid:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

eh, just think of Ubuntu as the Linux gateway drug. It's more likely to get people who've never tried linux to try it, and then they can move on from there if they so decide.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 21 February 2011 - 03:42 PM, said:

It's crating a zombie hoard of point & click yuppies that would just as soon be Mac fanboys but are not because they can't afford the hardware.

Making Linux more accessible to a wider audience of less technical people, "kills" it? The only thing it kills is the elitism of Linux fanboys, because they feel less "special" now that others are using it.

Ubuntu allows people to use Linux, while being able to focus on their work. I don't want to constantly maintain my machine, and I could care less about all the small details of Linux system administration. For those who do, there's still the myriad of Linux distros that were never touched by Ubuntu. Seems like a win-win to me.

This post has been edited by Nikitin: 21 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

People are generally elitist fan boys about software systems because they are usually doing constant battle with idiots who make false and generalized claims about those systems. For example, people who program in Lisp's are really passionate about the languages because they are almost constantly on the defense from idiots saying things like "too many parenthesis!!! derp derp derp" and the like. Then those same assholes go into their respective C#, Java, Ruby, Python, etc., communities and espouse the elegance and supremacy of dynamic typing, lambda expressions, first class functions, meta programming, etc. All ideas which had their origins in Lisp's some 20, 30, and even 40 years ago. Same thing goes with Linux.

You've got a bunch of people defending operating systems that they know nothing about with people who are very passionate about operating systems and know quite a bit about those systems. The first guy in this situation is just a product of some shitty hive mind. The knowledgeable guy is an idiot for arguing in the first place with someone like that.

Ubuntu allows people to use Linux, while being able to focus on their work.

One of the major philosophies behind *nix systems is openness, simplicity, and configuration. Ubuntu goes against the grain in this regard because it hides a lot of the customization and configuration away from the user so that they don't have to care about it. When something goes wrong, however, they are totally hosed because they have no fundamental understanding of how their system works in the first place. Ubuntu covers up many of the very features that makes Linux appealing to developers, elegant, and powerful.

I do agree that Ubuntu functions as a stepping stone into the *nix world, but I think people need to realize that Ubuntu strives to remove and automate the more powerful and elegant aspects of *nix simply because those concepts might have a steep learning curve.

Once you look under the hood and get your hands dirty Linux can be very rewarding. Ubuntu is all about keeping your hands clean.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostNikitin, on 21 February 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

I don't want to constantly maintain my machine

& with Ubuntu you won't have to. Because when they push out an update & it borks the install, you get to start over. The lack of a proper self-maintainable environment has been replaced by a buggy automated updater. Awesome. At least it'll keep your temporary files & installed software continually cleaned up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

View PostMokgar, on 20 February 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

Ok, I've got a mac, a pc and a laptop, I've used windows for most of my life, spent allot of time on mac and have recently been addicted to linux, i see upsides to all, mac has some nice default software, windows has the best compatibility and has nice usability and linux is fast efficient has nice default software and access to a huge array of free software, over all i think linux is the best the problem i have with it is compatibility, wine makes it compatible with allot more windows stuff but they can be glitchy and not everything works so i had to go back to windows so i can use some software ect, and im extremely annoyed with it its slower does stuff i dont want it to do, every time i install something my system has to restart, its aweful, and just to top its off on linux a game i play, minecraft ran lovely at average of 200fps i go over to windows and it black screen and runs at an average of 80 fps.

Anyway just a bit of a rant, but why cant these people get it right, ubuntu should be the standard installed os on computers from now on so people program for it rather than windows...

go with the one you feel comfortable most.. :))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +