Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which OS to use?

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'd be interested to read your reasoning for each of those statements.

Why is it called Windows? What's the reason?

Ubuntu isn't too bad... compared to?

Mac is weak in comparison to what? Ubuntu? Ouch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 04 April 2011 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'd be interested to read your reasoning for each of those statements.

Why is it called Windows? What's the reason?

Ubuntu isn't too bad... compared to?

Mac is weak in comparison to what? Ubuntu? Ouch.

it wins..
compared to windows
in comparison to windows & ubuntu.

:splat:

reasoning;

ease of use, layout & design
compatibility
speed
£price
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

Windows mostly because if you are programming at all then you will want an OS that is compatible with nearly everything available. Also if you need to you can look into some virtual machines (ie vmware-player, or VirtualBox) which could help you emulate nearly every linux distro available. Also just as a side note I "personally" recommend getting linux mint as a virtual machine because it is more user friendly and it is not too hard to modify the actual OS so that it is more of what you want. Overall though Windows because it is just simply the largest OS available and most software is developed for it.
--LF
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

Ubuntu isn't meant to be the geeks choice, it's meant to be ordinary people's choice. It is the best Gnu Linux distro for a non-technical user. You don't understand that not every one looks at the computer as a playground. They just want when they click the magic to happen, they don't want to know what happens behind, they don't want to know to customize the kernel for their own needs. If you understand, don't think everyone should understand scripting and so on, computers are not anymore for scientists, military and mathematicians, but for people that barely learned they need to press save for the document to exists when they want to get back to it.

However, I'm regular windows user just because i get easily frustrated when i can't get my new printer to work, or when my camera or phone is not detected on the GNU/Linux distro. I would like to get a mac though cos i love watching at those sweet sweet candy UIs.(Not a fanboy, i generally hate Apple for the hardware pricing).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

Windows: My dell inspiron blue screens ALL the time. It might be that I WAY over multi-task. 10-15 apps open at once with sometimes 5-10 instances of one app.

Ubuntu: I cannot get my driver installation to work. If I could get it to work I would completely switch over to Mono and use Ubuntu all the time. Windows is very aggravating.

OS X: I am getting a Mac very soon. I have saved up for a LONG time. I cannot wait to get it now that I have my iPhone 4 and I can develop for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:59 AM

@ no2pencil, I am curious. Which distro of Linux do you prefer? :balloon:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

I've used Slackware since I got into Linux. I love the minimalist style that they have kept to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 13 April 2011 - 01:05 AM, said:

I've used Slackware since I got into Linux. I love the minimalist style that they have kept to.

Thank you for your response. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostMATTtheSEAHAWK, on 06 April 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

Windows: My dell inspiron blue screens ALL the time. It might be that I WAY over multi-task. 10-15 apps open at once with sometimes 5-10 instances of one app.

Blue screens are not the result of too much multi-tasking. It might exacerbate the issue and show that you do have a problem, but it isn't the cause. The cause is bad drivers, hardware issues, or invalid memory access by a program you're running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Windows mostly because if you are programming at all then you will want an OS that is compatible with nearly everything available.

Except that Windows only supports x86 architectures and most *nixes support a dozen architectures. Basically the only think Windows is dominate on is the desktop market. All other markets are dominated by *nix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

I personally enjoy Windows the best. I have used it all my life and it just makes sense to me. Sure, it may not have been as flashy as a Mac, and it may not be as quick as a linux install, but if you have nice hardware it will run like a beast and be able to do everyhting I want it to (except write iOS applications in Obj-C - thanks to closed platforms..., however that isn't a big deal given that Flash can compile to .app format and I CAN get that on Windows). I like that Windows has games made for it and that I can customize everything about it (sure some of the customizations require changing registries, but it is still quite possible). Plus, over time, they are becoming more flashy and nice to look at (which I see as a good things).

Linux (well Ubuntu) is my second favorite. I love parts of it, and there are parts which I don't like so much. Parts I love: It is pretty simple to use (well, once you get over the initial learning curve). It has a powerful terminal which I can do most of my work from (all if I were to be okay with text-based web browsers...) and has a lot of free software out there which either isn't available on Mac and Windows or costs a boat load for similar features. It has VIM, and while you can get it in Windows, part of the reason I love VIM so much is because it runs nicely in the terminal and I don't have to worry about it. Set the options and go. Parts I don't like: It doesn't have access to all the software I want to use (sure there is wine, but it slows things down a lot). It comes with FF as the default browser (sorry, I just really don't like FF). It (I had another point, but it ran away...)

Mac is my least favorite. I understand that Apple is only trying to sell the brand and everything but it wouldn't kill them to allow users to customize their experience. I'm not a fan of the top var for program and application menues (they should be located IN the window from my perspective!). I really don't like the brushed metal look that their WHOLE os has, it isn't attractive to me. And the fact that Mac software can only be run on Mac hardware just puts me off the whole thing. If I purchase an OS I want to it run on the hardware I give it (assuming the hardware is compatible of course) I don't want to have to purchase all new hardware at outrageous markup to get to use an OS. It just isn't going to happen.

Now that I have gone through this nice, long rant I feel I should point out that I currently have the following machines:
1 Windows 7 PC
1 Windows 7 laptop with ~7 Ubuntu VMs on it
1 Mac laptop (which I hardly use)
So it isn't that I haven't had the opportunity to use them, I just have my different feeling about each one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

I run Windows 7 (almost solely to play video games) with a VM of Ubuntu 10.10 running in 'unity mode.' Best setup I have ever had.

I used to dual boot, but found it more of a pain then anything. Then I moved to linux solely, then back to windows xp when I needed to use a program for work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +