• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 1853 Views - Last Post: 25 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beta test my first game - Toon Survivors

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Greetings!

I've created my first browser based rpg game. I'm in need of a lot of testers to help me get any bugs found corrected. I've done a new template, the old one was well horrible compared to the new. I'd love to have feedback and any features that you'd like to see added. If you use twitter you can follow @speakyourtoon for the daily recharge code. It's a work in progress but very playable and I'm planning on ending the beta soon.

Thanks!

You can visit the game at:
Toon Survivors

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beta test my first game - Toon Survivors

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beta test my first game - Toon Survivors

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

A first quick view of it:

Its kind of hard to play. The red text on black everything is fine and all, but after even a few minutes of playing it starts to strain my eyes. Maybe on first login have a 'training session' that kind of goes over how the game works. I didn't notice the 'FAQ' page until after I had depleted everything, including the starting 10 tokens. I was unsure of what I was supposed to do.

The start page gave a nice overview of the world and whats happening, but it really didn't give me a sense of urgency, and it was unclear as to what the player's role is. Are we part of the human empire? Are we a zombie? Were we kicked out and became a zombie? Were we part of a clan or something? If you were going for the two different views on the game, I'd probably have done it a bit more clear.

When registering, I don't know what each of the things are other than a class name and a bonus. What about history? When I play games(I used to play World of Warcraft), I like the story behind the class. Maybe give a little blurb off to the right about each class, and what makes them unique. Also, the human/zombie selection is kind of arbitrary. Theres no bonus one way or another, other than being a human or being a zombie, and in a game like this, it would be kind of cool to have one special bonus that the other side doesn't have(i.e. humans being able to use weapons that increase their attack, and zombies, being dead, able to resist pain more and having a higher defense).

When logging into the game, the text box for the username and password fields are hard to see. I have to highlight to make sure that I have my username correct, and my password is the proper number of characters.

Its kind of hard to play. The red text on black everything is fine and all, but after even a few minutes of playing it starts to strain my eyes. Maybe on first login have a 'training session' that kind of goes over how the game works. I didn't notice the 'FAQ' page until after I had depleted everything, including the starting 10 tokens. I was unsure of what I was supposed to do.

When going to the doctor, it said I needed to put more money in the bank before I could heal, and it took me a bit to find the banker(I don't associate doctors with bankers, I was looking on other pages except the doctor drop-down. It also didn't tell me how much it cost to heal at the doctor. I'm still in the dark about that.

I haven't had a chance to look through anything else. But I'll be sure to get another look at it sometime when I'm not at school.

I'm very excited to see where this goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

This reminds me of an old game I used to play a few years ago ;) The systems are good, and you seem to know where you are going with it. There are just a few errors I've seen.

Success!
You used 1 energy, earned 1 experience, and received 2 dollars. 4 energy remaining.
You need 1 XP to level. <--

--> Sometimes you show the wrong data to the player. This occurs with "remaining energy" situations, and as you see, the EXP.

Congratulations! You are now level 1 <--
You've earned 5 skill points! Spend Skill Points

Another thing I find annoying is that you cannot close notifications. You have to refresh the page to get them out of the way. Just add a small close button :)

Also, how do you create a clan? I've gone to Clan > Create, and it says this: You are the leader of a clan and may not make a new clan. Then I go to Clan > Manage, and it tells me this: You don't have a clan to manage at this time.

I know leveling up restores energy, but how about health and stamina? Also... can you make it so it increases the max stamina? Stronger players should be able to attack more people and do more quests.. You should also add some items to increase the stats.

Player's profiles are hard to read -- the information is squished into 2 or 3 lines. Feel free to take up some space :) It should be easy to read!

I like the game, and I can see people playing it, but I agree with lexxe's post. There is no story - I'd love to see some lore behind the zombies and humans. Character classes should be further in depth, and there should be history of the area where this is supposed to take place.

I'm definitely following this and I'll be open for you to talk to for more suggestions. It looks like a fine first game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

I'd like to thank you both for the excellent feedback. I'll be making the requested changes today after I get back home from grocery shopping. It may snow and we can't run out of food with a baby on the way. :)

The font colors are an easy fix if you have suggestions for them? This is the new theme I put together this week and well the old one was horrible in comparison. I'll be working on the lore more and make the Zombies and Humans have unique abilities that separates them further. I'll also be adding to the story and background, but also I'll work on and introduction. For the notification pop-ups I'll be working on a method to allow you to close them. I have the space in the profile so I'll make some changes to make it stand out.

I'll be checking back here in a few for further comments.

As you level up, if you forget to use your skill points you can goto the Profile navigation item in the menu and click Skill Points to spend them.

I'm using PHP and it can only refresh the data when you click submit so it's 1 step behind where you actually are. I'll be looking into a way of correcting this as soon as I can.

Again thank you both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Error:

Also, how do you create a clan? I've gone to Clan > Create, and it says this: You are the leader of a clan and may not make a new clan. Then I go to Clan > Manage, and it tells me this: You don't have a clan to manage at this time.

This should be resolved, it was a missing argument when you register a new character.

I've updated the main story to give it more closure I think, so you won't just be dropped off.

I've updated the signup page to show some bonus for either choosing Human or Zombie. -- Thank You again for the recommendation.

I'm currently working on a new layout for the profile view. I agree it was clustered, hopefully it will change very soon. Probably within 30mins I'll have it situated.

After that I'm going to knock out an introduction phase for when you register and login for the first time!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

For the 'current war' thing, what does it mean Attack an NPC to join the war? Where do you find NPCs? All I've found are other players ;) Also, it seems there is a lack of zombies xD

I'd recommend that if someone is in a crew, the 'Join Crew' button is removed and instead there is a 'Leave Crew'

Also, when at the bank, can you have two buttons for "max" next to each textbox to deposit/withdraw? That way if you are depositing all you have to do is press: max > complete. That would set the deposit field to how much money you have on-hand.

I like the new text - it's easier to read. The interface is already improving, and so quickly. Thanks for the updates :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

View Postchiefofgxbxl, on 21 February 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

For the 'current war' thing, what does it mean Attack an NPC to join the war? Where do you find NPCs? All I've found are other players ;) Also, it seems there is a lack of zombies xD

I'd recommend that if someone is in a crew, the 'Join Crew' button is removed and instead there is a 'Leave Crew'

Also, when at the bank, can you have two buttons for "max" next to each textbox to deposit/withdraw? That way if you are depositing all you have to do is press: max > complete. That would set the deposit field to how much money you have on-hand.

I like the new text - it's easier to read. The interface is already improving, and so quickly. Thanks for the updates :)

For this war you have to hover over Main and then goto Warzone to find NPC's to attack. They are split up for each war type. You may attack them at anytime even if a NPC war isn't present. For this war the Daily Boss will count for an attack.

It will take some time to adjust how leaving and joining a clan work but it's possible and I'll look into that!

I'll have a look at the bank when I'm done working on the beginner entry page, I'm about 80% complete on that.

Yes there seems to be a Zombie shortage I've been spreading the word but alone just isn't enough, I'm hoping others start spreading the word to build up clans. I know that once it's busy with people the war will become interesting and you'll be making sure your alive more often. :)

-- Right now you can get 20 free tokens for referring friends -- You goto Profile -> Refer A Friend and type in their game username, if they have registered already they will get an e-mail to confirm you referred them. It's simple :)

Your most welcome! I try to be very quick but keep the quality level high, so I test and then re-test everything before launching it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

Just some updates:

If you load into the game and you don't see the new intro screen just refresh your browser.

Added the Deposit All and Withdraw All options to the banker.
Moved the banker to the Purchase drop down where I felt it would be better positioned.
Added intro screen to help a new user understand where things are.
Switched up the navigational menu so when your in a clan the join clan is replaced by leave clan, and the make a clan is gone.

Thanks for the excellent feedback! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Update:

Just wanted to let everyone know that starting this weekend, all your stats will be recharged 1 point every 3 minutes. This is going to hopefully be a weekly event!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Update:

I registered Toon Survivors to make it easier to get to! :bigsmile:

This post has been edited by gaddam: 22 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

Forgot to mention tweaked the display for correct XP needed to level and how much energy you have left.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Update: All of your stats are now refreshed automatically, now you'll see when your under attack by watching your health drop!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

I migrated over to Create Games to keep track of my project. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

hey, I've been trying to log on now and it just shows me a blank index.php page. I cleared my cookies so I could try again to login but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

I fixed the issue should work fine now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)