Newbie needs help

BlogWorks installation

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1845 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2002 - 01:17 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie needs help

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:01 PM

I'm trying to add a news script and comments system to my little site, but I'm just really lost...

The script I'm trying to install is BlogWorks - http://www.hotscript...iled/13438.html

It uses lots of asp files, whatever the heck those are, and the include commands.  Now, I've figured out in my newbiness that the ASP files have the scripting info, and I include them in my main html page using an include command... ok, but... how exactly do I do all this, I've tried and failed... the help file that comes with the script is very nice, but of no help to my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to scripts..... =(

Can someone kindly walk me through installing this script?  My site is for now http://theRedux.hypermart.net - but will soon move to my own domain and host.

Please, help would really be appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbie needs help

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Newbie needs help

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:15 PM

First off, You are going to have to have a host that supports the asp language. ASP stands for active server pages and is a language that is processed and turned into html by the server. I reccomend that you use PHP and not asp, as php is free , more widely available, and easier to learn(in my opinion). But if you want to use this script, you are going to have to learn a bit about asp! If you do a quick search on google, you will find a lot of places that you can host your blog on for free, and you don't have to do any set up work! i found http://www.blogspot.com/ really quickly. but if you wanmt something on your own site, you are going to have to learn a new language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2002 - 10:28 PM

Would you recommend any good PHP news/comment scripts?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:32 PM

B2 works well, as does AshNews

HTH,
Sem.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Posted 21 May 2002 - 01:17 PM

Do you have a webhost?  If you do, you should check with them to see what kind of script support (most commonly you will have PHP on Linux/Unix-Apache but ASP on NT/2000-IIS is very common as well).  Both configurations probably allow you access to CGI-bin which gives you access to PERL as well (plus many other executable languages but none are as easy to work with as PERL on the web).  Once you know what technologies you have to choose from go to hotscripts and drill down to the script you want.

Hoopster

Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1