5 Replies - 15718 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2011 - 09:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

2D Game Engine Architecture and Design

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys,
I looked at my school library for books about 2D engine design and I couldn't find any. So here is what I'm looking for...

Does anyone know of any good books or websites about designing and/or making a 2D game engine? I'm going to be using C++ too, just thought I would let you know.

Also, what do you guys recommend for making 2D games from the following:
- DirectX
- OpenGL
- Allegro
- Or recommend a different one

Those are just the main ones that I've read about. And I've read good things about making games with Allegro but I wanted to get your guys' opinions.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2D Game Engine Architecture and Design

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: 2D Game Engine Architecture and Design

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

I really don't have any pointers, but i would recommend OpenGL. It hasn't let me down yet and you can find references everywhere!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

A good book using DirectX is Advanced 2D Game Development.

Personally I prefer OpenGL because it's good for a platform independent engine. I've got one of my own here if you want to dissect that. I didn't use any books though. I started off on the iphone following the video tutorials at 71squared. Then I rolled my own using what I learned and browsing nehe to fill in the gaps. I did like the code structure that Jonathan Harbour used in his DirectX book however, and you can definitely see the similarities in our two engines.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

View Postshintetsu_80, on 22 February 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

Personally I prefer OpenGL because it's good for a platform independent engine. I've got one of my own here if you want to dissect that. I didn't use any books though. I started off on the iphone following the video tutorials at 71squared. Then I rolled my own using what I learned and browsing nehe to fill in the gaps. I did like the code structure that Jonathan Harbour used in his DirectX book however, and you can definitely see the similarities in our two engines.

I have checked out NeHe and they have great tutorials but they are platform specific to windows. I found that swiftless was easier to read and cross plat-form.

DirectX is good as well but I never got around to really learn it, just messed around with it for a couple of days. seemed pretty straight forward.

@OP-> As far as making the 2d game engine, i still do not have any pointers, however just about every OpenGL book are available for PDF versions for free, such as this and references available such as this for rendering and basic tasks.

Hope this helps ☺

This post has been edited by UG Cyber: 22 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

I've heard that Allegro's supposed to be really good for 2d game development in C++, but I've never used it myself.

My personal reccomendation would be SDL, it's easy to pick up, cross-platform and straight-forward to use.
The best tutorials, by far, are the Lazy Foo' tutorials (here)

[Edit] Also, as far as making a full 2d game engine, here's a good tutorial to do that with SDL.

This post has been edited by reaper4334: 23 February 2011 - 01:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'll definitely check this book out.

Personally I prefer OpenGL because it's good for a platform independent engine. I've got one of my own here

At first glance it looks pretty good. I'll go through and dissect the code in a little bit.

View PostUG Cyber, on 22 February 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

@OP-> As far as making the 2d game engine, i still do not have any pointers, however just about every OpenGL book are available for PDF versions for free, such as this and references available such as this for rendering and basic tasks.

Wow, those two things will be extremely helpful. I'm leaning more towards OpenGL right now.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Also what are your thoughts on using the Sphere Engine to make an RPG? I was thinking about making a couple games so I can learn more game programming and then I want to make an RPG. Nothing spectacular or huge, just something for experience. School hasn't done a very good job at giving me programming projects that I can put on my resume, so I have to do something on my own to put on my resume and I think an RPG would be fun and challenging. Once again, thanks for any help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1