7 Replies - 775 Views - Last Post: 25 February 2011 - 02:36 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Struggling with ASP.NET

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

The title pretty much says it all, I can't get my head around ASP.NET at all.
It just seems like most of what you need to know has nothing to do with the actual creation of the site.
I'm using this book as it was the most recommended here http://www.amazon.co..._ecc_rvi_cart_1

I read the first 3 chapters and I can't even get the examples to work :(
There's like a 3 page explanation on the differences between certain project templates, I just want to know what I should do and it doesn't explain what I should be doing.

I could go on for ages as to why I don't understand ASP.NET, but then this would turn into a blog post.
My question is, how do you recommend a web programming noob to learn ASP.NET?
I really need to learn it as most .NET jobs require it :(

Any tips?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Struggling with ASP.NET

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Struggling with ASP.NET

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hey.

Check out www.asp.net/get-started. There are a bunch of videos on there that should help you get started.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hi @DivideByZero

I wouldn't have recommended that book for someone just starting out to learn ASP .NET. I would think that any of these two would be much better for beginning to learn ASP .NET:
Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in C# 2008: From Novice to Professional, 2nd Edition
Beginning ASP.NET 4.0 in C# 2010 (Expert's Voice in .NET)

Also, checkout the Official ASP .NET Website. I would recommend starting off with the Web Forms Fundamentals. That should get you going.

You can always post on here if you get stuck on anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

If you had previous website building experience. Then this will be easy.

I picked up on my own with asp.net and C# code behind fairly quick (2 months) and i didn't even started programming at all i was only proficient in Joomla

Some of the sites that helped me was http://www.asp.net

And Google ofcourse ..

My advice to you is start small like a input form mixed with C# .

Also use youtube

Asp.net Tutorials

]
Here is a huge video site link below . Big videos like 50minutes or so All about C# and asp.net and ajax and Javascript .

The best learning video site if seen.

this site helped me with OOP Programming

It is just the best for Microsoft technology

I didnt even use a book . And i build commercial webapplication now after a year.

You'll be good in it in no time

And of course don't forget about asking question on dreamincode .

This post has been edited by marinus: 24 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the links guys :)
So the book is aimed at experienced web developers then? I'm a very good C# coder, but with ASP.NET I'm completely lost :(

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 25 February 2011 - 03:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

View PostDivideByZero, on 25 February 2011 - 03:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the links guys :)
So the book is aimed at experienced web developers then? I'm a very good C# coder, but with ASP.NET I'm completely lost :(

The Professional ASP .NET series from Apress basically picks up from the Beginning series. So yes, it is essentially aimed at professionals.

ASP .NET allows you to leverage your .net coding skills, but programming for the web is very different than desktop programming. You will be using completely different set of namespaces that you normally don't use in desktop programming.

In addition to ASP .NET, you will also need to have knowledge of html markup, css and how to design websites. The more knowledge you have about developing websites, the better ASP .NET programmer you will become. I strongly recommend starting to learn that concurrently while learning ASP .NET as it will be very helpful.

W3Schools schools is a great place to start gaining knowledge about web development, and you can always pickup a book on amazon as well...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostkeakTheGEEK, on 24 February 2011 - 11:13 AM, said:

Hi @DivideByZero

I wouldn't have recommended that book for someone just starting out to learn ASP .NET. I would think that any of these two would be much better for beginning to learn ASP .NET:
Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 in C# 2008: From Novice to Professional, 2nd Edition
Beginning ASP.NET 4.0 in C# 2010 (Expert's Voice in .NET)

Also, checkout the Official ASP .NET Website. I would recommend starting off with the Web Forms Fundamentals. That should get you going.

You can always post on here if you get stuck on anything.

I was just about to consider buying one of those books, but then I saw that one of them has no reviews and the other one averaged 1 star :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

Ugh! You're right. That first one doesn't have the best reviews. I bought it quite a few years ago as it was the book being used by the instructor at the time I took a class on ASP .NET. Personally, I found it to be an useful book. But, probably would have been just as apprehensive as you are if I had looked more closely at the reviews. However, I do own it and I do find it useful, but that could be because I have a pretty thorough understanding of ASP .NET and web development in general.

On Amazon there aren't that many books that have reviews for beginning ASP .NET and only few with good ones. Here are two that come up based on a quick search that have high ratings:
Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: in C# and VB (Programmer to Programmer)
Essential ASP.NET with Examples in C# (Microsoft .Net Development)

Honestly, it's still hard to tell though how they will be for a complete novice to ASP .NET.

I will PM you a link where you can download free eBooks (not sure if DIC will allow me to post the link on the forum or not). I believe the other two beginning ASP .NET books are on that site. I recommend downloading some to see how you like them before buying them...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1