8 Replies - 669 Views - Last Post: 25 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

FYI: Your Beta "related threads" and necro posts.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Your beta 'related threads' thing is really cool, but does not filter out "old" posts. I didn't find an "anti-necro posting" rule, so this might not be an issue. However, when I accidentally posted in an old thread using the beta "related threads", someone called me "stupid for necro posting". :P True, I do need readers and can't afford them yet (I'm saving $), and consequently, missed the tiny "when this was posted date" but I was offended for being called stupid but tried to get over it. I used the "related threads" beta to find other "stupid..." topics (stupid conversations, stupid people, etc.).

Related but off-topic: It would help if the date wasn't grey on light blue. However, red text I can't read. Perhaps an off-black? Just a thought. ;)
Thanks! :bigsmile:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: FYI: Your Beta "related threads" and necro posts.

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: FYI: Your Beta "related threads" and necro posts.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

View Posttpgames, on 24 February 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

I was offended for being called stupid

It's unfortunate.

However, this is the internet. In a community of 300,000+ members, you are just going to have thicker skin that that. Eventually we all piss someone off, & eventually we all get told off once or twice.

Some more than others.

There isn't a rule that says you can't necro post. Honestly, I'm for necro posting as long as the topic is relevant. Other people bring in views from over moderated forums & feel the need to be the 1st to bash anyone for anything.

What do you want to see done?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 24 February 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

View Posttpgames, on 24 February 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

I was offended for being called stupid

It's unfortunate.

However, this is the internet. In a community of 300,000+ members, you are just going to have thicker skin that that. Eventually we all piss someone off, & eventually we all get told off once or twice.

Some more than others.

There isn't a rule that says you can't necro post. Honestly, I'm for necro posting as long as the topic is relevant. Other people bring in views from over moderated forums & feel the need to be the 1st to bash anyone for anything.

What do you want to see done?

Being the necro posting isn't considered against the rules or bad, I guess nothing there needs to be done. But, it would help to make the 'date of the post' to be in a darker color. More color contrast. I could then decide if necro posting was worth it or not, or whether the my posting there can be permanently skipped.
Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

There is no rule for necro-ing? That's news to me! I have seen many topics get locked because of it. Personally I agree that sometimes it can be valuable to add content to old posts (especially it helps for readers that find it through Google as they stay on the site longer).

I have seen people say that rather than necro-ing you should start a new topic with a link to the old topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:54 AM

Other mods have different opinions. I personally see nothing wrong with necros as long as they contribute to the post. I also see what the OP says. It sounds like a much better idea to either make the dates more noticeable or give a warning if the topic is old...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:25 AM

This was a Lounge topic, so be forewarned: posting in the Lounge is in every way opening yourself up for ridicule. It's pretty much its raison d'ętre :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 25 February 2011 - 05:49 AM, said:

There is no rule for necro-ing? That's news to me!

It's a common sense sort of thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

For the Techies: Yes, please code in a warning this thread is old if its not too much headache. Thanks! :D :rockon:

Moderators idea:
Perhaps the mods can all have a meeting about what the rules actually say so that people aren't getting warnings, etc. for something thats not even a rule? Just a thought, because I for one don't like the idea that one person can get a warning for necro-posting when the rules don't say necro-posting is wrong. Besides, I'd rather mods spent more time dealing with real issues like spammers, trolls, hackers, and so on. ;)

:stupid:
I did have my font preferences set to 16 pt. However, I did forget to check the advance box that says min 16 px mandatory. I thought I had done that, as its the first thing I do on computers. I had thought that the size issue was due to how some sites are coded to refuse customers browser customization settings. I've had issues in the past where some sites insisted that I use their text color, but would grab my background color anyways. That gave me a form I could not read.

More on Necro-posting:
Personally, I see nothing wrong with necro-posting unless its on an "ancient programming" thread due to the changes in coding standards. However, I do try not to necro-post on threads that are over a year old as a consideration to those who are OCD about necro-posting.

Question: Can anyone explain why necro-posting in the Lounge is a bad thing? I would like Pros and Cons. Not just a "its common sense". I can say its common sense that food labels should list ALL the ingredients contained within. However, they won't because congress doesn't care if I live or die. I can die from eating a can of tuna that lists "Veggie Broth (contains soy)" because what they aren't telling you is that Veggie broth also contains Celery or broccoli, (or 11 other items I don't react to so severely). Thanks! ;) :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

I think it's important to note that there has been no moderation action taken regarding your necroposting. Some of the lounge regs simply don't enjoy seeing a bunch of dead threads revived all at once, especially when there are a number of other active threads there. If you have something worthwhile to add to the thread or a genuine interest in continuing the discussion, you're welcome to post. There is no rule prohibiting it. Just be prepared to have one of the regs in the lounge call you on necroposting. Chances are, if the necro is worthwhile (and often times, even if it isn't), other members will join in the discussion on the actual topic, and after a couple posts, that'll be the end of the necrposting discussion.

If you're going to hang out in the lounge, you'll need to grow a thicker skin. There is some teasing that goes on. Take it with a grain of salt, lurk a little to get a feel for the conversations, relax, and have fun. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1