What language to learn?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 3072 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2007 - 08:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language to learn?

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

I'm really interested in learning to program, although I have no previous experience so far. I tried reading "Beginning Programming for Dummies" by Wallace Wang, but got stuck after a while--didn't seem like a very clear book. Anyways, I want to try again, though I don't know what language to learn as a first language. Can anyone suggest a good beginning language?
I would likely be it using for:
Just general programming random stuff for fun
I plan to be an astrophysicist, so I guess whatever I would be doing in regards to using stuff related to that (processing info, or whatever)-however it would come in handy there
Maybe some games for fun later on
I would assume that I could always learn or move to other languages after I've got one down--to cover something more specific that I might want to do.
That's about it, thanks for any help, and remeber I don't know any programming yet!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language to learn?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language to learn?

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

Well i do not suggest Learning Anything Too complicated for you, If you are Programming illiterate Then i would suggest picking up a Language like Html, And Vb. Html normally is not considered a programming language, but it is nonetheless, it would give you a Strong basis on what you might expect in programming. Visual Basic is also another Strong Begginer style language, You can learn alot. And since you Want to be processing info alot, And Possibly databasing? I would suggest Vb Because i found Databasing Alot easier with it(refer to my Tutorial for Help), Also PHP would also be another alternative but it may be a little more complicated. Depends on how quick you are on picking up languages. I suggest Going to Your local bookstore and Picking up a Book on VB,Html,PHP or another language you have heard of. Also Online E-Books and Tutorials(Check The DreamInCode Tutorial/Code Snippet section, And use Google) For Them. Maybe even Attend a Local Community college Class on Programming(C++ and Java are usually the Languages Tought) I do not suggest Java as a Starting language due to its complexity, If you really want to start with java, Read up on a little C++. Hope this Helped you, Message me with further Questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:04 PM

Great! Thanks for the advice. I actually was already planning on taking a semester class at our local junior college in HTML, so I guess that was a good choice! Maybe I will try and pick up another class or a book on Visual Basic afterwards then. What specifically is VB used for? Everything in general, something specific, or is it just a sort of stepping stone language to reach more complex ones?
Thanks for the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Super Sentai Knight Of DawN"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:31 AM

visual basic is an object based programming language it isn't complicated than c++ or any languages. Your right it is sort of a stepping stone to reach a more complicated languages. HTML is much more open tool for us to learn for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

Great, thanks for the info guys!
I will then learn HTML and probably move on to VB :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:12 PM

Glad to have been of some help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

If you want to learn "Programming" im not sure that HTML is going to help a whole lot. I learned BASIC first and it worked out fine for me. I've heard that Python has easy syntax that is good for beginners. If you're interested in programming and are fairly smart (since you said you are planning to be astrophysicist I assume you are) then I don't think you would have any problem learning C++ first. That is what I would recommend doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

I think you should start with Python. It's beginner to start with an actual programming language. HTML is just used to "format" a webpage. That's not programming. That's web design. If you want a good, strong, very popular programming language with having fun. Learn Python.

Here is a great ebook, which is free, so you can learn Python.
http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

From a programmer to a beginner, go with it! Trust me!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Super Sentai Knight Of DawN"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Python?!..is their an IDE for it.....I started with c then java..without programming backgrounds..It is quite hard....but i manage it...well the trend will be HTML for web programming and then commit to VB....just will be a preparation.:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

View PosteXceed69, on 11 Dec, 2006 - 05:51 PM, said:

well the trend will be HTML for web programming and then commit to VB....just will be a preparation.:D

I think the reason I disagree is just because of the fact that I hate VB with a passion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

Aye, back when i was 12 i started to learn Python and i admit it was a VERY good starting language but HTML had more of a Feel to it like i could 'Enjoy' coding in it, I put HTML>Vb from personal experience. I have no Doubt a Dedicated Learner could learn Python/C++ as starting languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

HTML is a markup language, it is not a programming language and has no programming functionality.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

I suggest you start with VB 2005 Express since not only is it free, MS is providing hundreds of video classes on-line for FREE to teach you how to do it.

As a second language I would suggest you move into C++ or maybe JAVA.

HTML as has been stated is not a programming language, it is great to know how to tag and alter your web sites etc. but if you want to have more control of your applications, go with JAVA or PEARL.

Programming is an ART FORM not a science. The language is used to build functions and procedures, but is still only a tool. You will be creating and it is up to you to decide what works for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

View PostKeyWiz, on 17 Dec, 2006 - 01:00 AM, said:

I suggest you start with VB 2005 Express since not only is it free, MS is providing hundreds of video classes on-line for FREE to teach you how to do it.

As a second language I would suggest you move into C++ or maybe JAVA.

HTML as has been stated is not a programming language, it is great to know how to tag and alter your web sites etc. but if you want to have more control of your applications, go with JAVA or PEARL.

Programming is an ART FORM not a science. The language is used to build functions and procedures, but is still only a tool. You will be creating and it is up to you to decide what works for you.

I am interested in learning some programming language but after reading of all the different languages out there I am more confused than ever. I briefly taught myself some C programming while in college but I have since stopped and don't truly remember very much. My uses are multiple:

I was thinking VBA because I use excel frequently and could develop my own code to develop programs in sheets for work purposes; chemical process engineering. I would also like to be versatile in being able to design some web applications and short programs simultaneously. I have read on vba, vb.net, c#, java, among other languages and I am very lost. I would like to learn a language that is versatile and that will allow me to move on to other languages more readily in the future. I am almost completely a Windows OS user and wouldn't be creating programs for other OS other than perhaps for PDA or Cell Phones in the future, but that isn't important at the present. I would also like there to be a significant amount of information readily available for free. I am not interested in spending a great deal of time and money searching for information and buying software. I have had people recommend C/C++, C#, VB, etc. I want something that can be used for web applications as well as general windows applications. Is there any benefit to learning C/C++ before say C# or Java? I have been leaning toward C#, but I'm still not sure. Is there much of a difference between C#, Java, and vb.net other than cross-platform ability such as ease of coding, abilities, time and length of code? Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:38 PM

The way I got into programming, and it worked rather well as I have only started just over a year ago... was with HTML, then some C, before moving onto CSS, JS (javascript), and C++, I learnt a lot of CSS and JS, but it isn't needed if you want to go towards stand alone programs. Basic knowledge of JS will help you figure out how to use functions correctly. Then, after getting bored with the road blocks that C++ had for me I moved to XML, XSL, and XSLT before realizing the only reason to know them is for an RSS feed... but I also took the time to install a Java and Python compiler on my computer. After never using them much I moved to PHP, which introduced me to classes and a more C++ feel to coding, after all I believe it is based on C++ (maybe not though).

Python is probably the place for you to start though if you are wanting some windowed applications, as it works on any machine and OS with python installed you won't have to worry about the different types of executables (ie: windows 32, windows XP and so on) that C++ has.

Python has easy to find, and most of the time terms that make since for what they do, functions and other application techniques. Though wxPython will help add more of these commands.

Hope that was of some help,
BetaWar
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +