2 Replies - 8735 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2011 - 10:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

(SQL Server 2008) cannot connect to my instance in Management Studio

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

hey,
yesterday i installed SQL Server 2008 Developer's Edition (instance name MSSQLSERVER) on my Windows server 2008 R2 PC on which i installed VS 2008 sp1 and MS Exchange 2010 sp1 but when i open SQL server Management studio to connect to my instance it only shows "SQLEXPRESS" in the server name field so i tried typing "MSSQLSERVER" and connect to it but that didn't work, i tried opening SQL Configuration manager and all the services were running.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: (SQL Server 2008) cannot connect to my instance in Management Studio

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: (SQL Server 2008) cannot connect to my instance in Management Studio

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:52 AM

never mind i found the solution
i changed the server name form "machine name"\"instance name" to just "machine name" and it worked although i couldn't find any logical explanation for it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: (SQL Server 2008) cannot connect to my instance in Management Studio

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

The explination is that you installed the server wiht the default instance. The default instance doesn't need a name to connect to, the machine name is enough. A default instance in MSSQL means that your server would be recognized on the network by machine name. That MSSQLSERVER is a naming convention( it's just for identification).

This is from MSDN

If you specify MSSQLServer for the instance name, a default instance will be created. For SQL Server Express, if you specify SQLExpress for the instance name, a default instance will be created.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1