1 Replies - 629 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

Poll: Chromium Gnome? Good Idea? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Good idea of Bad?

1. Good (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Your and Idiot (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Bad (3 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Chromium Gnome? Good Idea?

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

As many of you are aware of the Chrome OS which is being released for Net books to provided great boot times, ease of use and Cloud services.

I had been thinking would it not be a good idea to manipulate the Chromium OS into a full blown desktop OS at the click of a button, For instance having the option for booting the Gnome desktop in the options menu of the Chromium OS To keep boot time down but allow it's expansion to grow.

To give an example as to why it could be handy is that Windows boots up in 20 - 60 Seconds usually on a typical PC, Now, The first Apple computers could boot their OS that fast, Why are we still waiting as long as we were in the 1980's for our OS to boot?

I reckon that if this project took off, It would create a new and exciting development platform for offline activities as well as being of use to the average user to revert to a method where they feel comfortable.

I know your probably saying "It's meant for cloud computing not offline!!!!!!" Well yes it is BUT as with everything in the world, It would only be a matter of time before the media would jump on it and claim it's evil and if you use it a man from 1874 is going to steal all your money and buy a luxury umbrella at your expense.

It would also mean that it would provide a Free, Easy to use OS that is faster than proprietary OS's but not too confusing to operate, As most of this is pre-made you could simply convert existing applications into a system similar to Ubuntu's.

Though it would need to be as easy to use and user friendly as Windows is for instance to the average user so that they do not suffer the original deterant to the OS like it was in the 80's.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Feel free to call me an idiot for wanting to add to a Cloud Computing Operating System but it is time that we decided that we shouldn't have to wait as long as we did over 30 years ago for our PC to start up.

Also it does not necessarily have to be GNOME it could be a new GUI entirely or even KDE,

This post has been edited by Fungle: 27 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Chromium Gnome? Good Idea?

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Chromium Gnome? Good Idea?

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

I think it would miss the point and niche of the system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1