8 Replies - 14402 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2013 - 05:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Meet Your Forum Leaders

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Get to know you Java Forum Leaders! Forum leaders are well, leaders of their respective forums and are passionate about that particular technology. Read more about who we are and what we do here:
http://www.dreaminco...-forum-leaders/

-----------------------------
Stephen Schwahn - Dogstopper

I'm currently 18 and a Sophomore by hours at Georgia Tech. I have been programming for about six years now and originally started by programming the Lego NXT for Lego Robotics in 7th grade. Then I became interested in doing more and started learning C++. Then I found Java to be used in just about everything I needed to do (cross platform development and Android).

I am a full time student, where I specialize in Computer Science theory and devices (ECE), and I work at a coop with National Instruments in Austin, TX.

Martyr2

Hello everyone, I go by the name of Martyr2 and I am American even though I live in Vancouver Canada. I have been programming for over 13 years and have worked as a programmer in many industries. Some of my experience includes appliance retail software, the travel industry where I was responsible for over 170+ websites world-wide and just recently transferred over to a hot tech company doing communication software. I consider this job a bit of a "think tank" because of the free reign I am given to explore programming concepts. The last few years I have focused on system/algorithm design, best practices and general programming theory.

Over the last 3.5 years I have helped thousands of people with hundreds of them being in Java alone. I like providing working examples and giving thoughtful explanations of "why" we should do something rather than just "Because it works". I also like to spread out the answers across multiple forums here at DIC. Since I have broadened my programming language horizons I am often asked to create solutions that merge multiple technologies and create mashups.

I am constantly reading programming books everywhere I go so I am a bit of a bookworm. This often means that I can review a lot of books and provide assistance on picking great books to learn from. It also means there is little I haven't seen in the way of programming... good and bad. I hope to extend this knowledge to save you time and get you simple to understand solutions to big problems.

Flukeshot

Hey, I go by the name of Flukeshot. I'm a 24 year old tech enthusiast from Glasgow, Scotland. I've been programming for about 6 or 7 years as a hobby - I've dabbled in C/C++, VB.NET and LUA, but when I decided to be a Java/Android developer I devoted myself to learning the language - and I still am. I'm self-taught in everything I know about programming, with the right mind-set and advice from D.I.C - you can be too.

I joined this community in November '12 when I got stuck on a beginners project in Java. I was astounded by the reception from the forum members and I do my best to replicate that reception whenever I reply to a topic. It's not just about being polite, I feel that we have a duty to raise others to our level.

This post has been edited by Flukeshot: 01 July 2013 - 05:21 PM
Reason for edit:: Update

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Meet Your Forum Leaders

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Meet Your Forum Leaders

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:31 AM

View PostDogstopper, on 04 December 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

That is why I am still really oriented to performance issues. I am allergic to

ArrayList al = new ArrayList();
for(int i = 0; i < al.size(); ++i)

when it should be
int len = al.size();
for(int i = 0; i < len; ++i)

Why is it so?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

The latter is more memory-efficient potentially (becasue you don't call size() repeatedly).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 27 February 2011 - 10:10 PM, said:

However, the compiler did that automatically. Thus, my statement likely is no longer true.

What ???
Sorry Dogstopper not true. Put a break point in the second statement of size() and you will see it will be called each time.

The compiler does not have a slightest clue to know that size() may not change. And actually it can be changed by another thread.

How often did I code

while(vector.getSize() == 0) {
   try {
     Thread.sleep(
   }
   catch(
}
Object o - vector.get(0);

This post has been edited by pbl: 27 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

Oops. Sorry pbl, I used an array...not an ArrayList. I fixed my post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hey! Great job so far, I really enjoy the speed with which Java Threads are answered :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

POPULAR

So when the aliens finally visit us, and request to be taken to my leader, I know who to take them too!! Enjoy the probing!!! Great job guys, keep up the good work. Without being bias, you guys make the java forum the best forum across Dreamincode!
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

POPULAR

ok, so I do not know where to put this so I put it here in hopes that the right people read this:

I want to thank the experts of this board. In my 10+ years of programming (Mostly in Perl) I have been to alot of help forums and for the most part i get discouraged because the experts on the sites seem to get mad when you ask quesstions and treat the newbs like they are beneath them, here does not seem to be the case, with the questions I have asked and by reading other posts to see what I can learn I see time after time, the people in the know showing excellent people skills and helping without belittling (sp??) the newbs.

I want you all to know that your curtousy is greatly appreciated and not overlooked by us that are learning.

So a heart felt THANK YOU is in order, and some day, hopefully when I get knowledgable enough to be able to help I will in turn be, as you all are, curtous and respectful.

Now if I could just learn to spell.. lol

Sincerly,
Randor (Bob)
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Updated the main post with my blurb. :)