What is your process for help/research?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2366 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

Poll: What is your process for help/research? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your process?

1. Try, MSDN(Online platform docs), Google, post question (11 votes [42.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

2. First read MSDN(Online platform docs), then try, google, post question (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

3. Google first for code, then try, then post question (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

4. Who tries? I just ask for the answer right off. (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: What is your process for help/research?

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

I usually start at either a tutorial site (here in the tutorials or snippets sections), in the official language reference or in something else that is pretty good (like MSDN or php.net). I never copy and paste, but I do read other's code in order to find out what they've done and how they've done it (although, in some cases, I really don't like to, because in more than a few instances I've had good ideas that I lost hold of when I saw how easy somebody else's solution was).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What is your process for help/research?

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 28 February 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Programming exposes you to your own failings.

Some people don't want to deal with that, or admit it.

Yeah it took me a while to admit it... But hey they say that thats part of getting better... Right???

I have a longer process than the poll showed... it works for the most part and I like to learn...

Try > Google > Try > Search DIC Forums > Try > Edit existing Code > Try > ... Ask Question on forum.

The simple answer is to learn you have to try and fail a number of times here and there... I am a ton better now than even a year or 6 months ago... Most of that is reading the tutorials, self teaching, books, trial and error and user feedback. The people who only copy and paste are like people who cheat in school... They only hurt and deprive them selves of a learning opportunity which is really sad.

I can confidently admit I no nothing about a lot of things, but willing to find out how to do it, then i can use that knowledge to better my own programs. I often get in over my head more often than not...

Jesse Fender
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +