10 Replies - 6304 Views - Last Post: 08 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

What's The Real Impact Certifications Have?

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

Well, I have wanted to get a few certifications for a while, but I don't know how much impact they when you are looking for a job in the real world. I am currently a first-semester student, and I have considered to get certifications in 2008 - Due to some limitations, I couldn't get them.

I have looked to all kinds of certifications, hell, even the "most paid ones" when I am not a money fan. Certifications look like a nice thing to have, and based on what other people say, it's really good to have them. Of course, they always help you stand out a bit more than other applicants when you are looking for a job, but what's the REAL impact they have? Would it be worth to get some in the next four years while I study at college? I will really appreciate your answers. If you have any experiences, please share.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: What's The Real Impact Certifications Have?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's The Real Impact Certifications Have?

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Certifications are all based on their respect in the industry and their relevance to the individual company you are applying for. Obviously a certification in Microsoft Software means crap to a company which is dealing in nothing but Linux machines. Look around the industry or companies you want to work for. What certifications do they look for or think are relevant to them? Heck, give them a call and ask if they consider certifications of value to them and which ones they like applicants to have.

As for respect, if a no name company on the internet starts giving out tens of thousands of certs based off a 20 multiple choice test it isn't going to hold much weight to bigger companies.

The real story is that a company wants to see your skills and what you have done for others. Show code, show examples, talk about problems and how you solved them. Certifications are typically just icing on the cake. Anyone who can show that they know what they are doing and conquer tough challenges daily are always going to be worth more than someone unproven and who has a piece of paper saying they know something.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

We need to have a pinned topic for certification questions.

It all depends on the need and demand for it. Some people can get their foot in the door and others dont need them. Some employers like you to have them some like you to have a degree and others just want to make sure you know what youre doing. It just depends what you want. Some on here hate certifications and think they flood the industry with people of lesser experience and others have gotten their foot in the door and moved within the company with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

Having a lot won't hinder you at the least, but if you send in your resume with 30 certificates they will probably scan it and send it to the circular file bin. Only send in relevant ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

I did a couple of Sun's Java certifications back in high school (SCJP, SCJD). I don't even bother putting them on my resume now. What I learn in a single class is worth much more. You may find yourself in that situation as well. You're in school, and the best thing you can do is get a part-time job doing coding/research in your field, or join a club and do some projects. This will give you plenty of experience and something to talk about with recruiters.

I just got two internship offers for this summer - from Amazon and Google. All they really care about is what you do in school. Better than any certification.

This post has been edited by Nikitin: 01 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

Certifications don't hurt, but I would doubt someone with all certs and no projects actually knows what he's doing.

More projects, means more time invested working on code, which probably means this guy knows more than the guy with certifications but no projects.

No amount of book smarts trumps practical experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Certificates is always a good thing to have,

Say for instance you and a guy apply for a job and the one guy has programmed for 3 years , you have 1 year .

But you have lots of certificates , and the other guy has none .

Id say in most you companies you would be ranked equal.

But some companies care only for raw experience .

So it really depends .

Having a certificate will show the employer you just went a nother step. B)

Grz.

Marinus .

This post has been edited by marinus: 02 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

It honestly depends on the company doing the hiring / interviewing. Some will be impressed, some will ask why you don't have one, some will ask what real work you've done. I'm afraid I fall into this last category. I've run into too many "Certified X" that are completely useless at applying any knowledge they might of passed the test for.

To be fair, some certs are pretty intense. The Cisco one used to end in a live situation room where you had implement a network design with the hardware given or fail. Unfortunately, it's more common that a cert is part of a rubber stamp diploma mill. If it's just passing a multiple guess test, I tend not to put any value in it. Worse, if that's the first thing they wave at me, I might just assume they're incompetent.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

I just started studying for MCTS exam 70-511, then 70-515 through Microsoft. I've been looking for an entry level job now for months and can't seem to land anything. After talking to some Devs that work at a pretty prominent company around here, they said for someone at my experience level that is probably the best way to land something. I hope it works out for me as I'm dying here :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

Well, the economy sucks right now.

But certs do have value.

Personally, if I am digging through resumes, I would definately take someone with certs over someone without (unless they just have a vast amount of experience and can PROVE it).

Anyway, I have my eye on a few myself when I'm through college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

Software recruiter here. If I see a MS cert or Sun cert and its valid to the position, its looked at but has less value as work experience.

Cisco certs for network peeps on the other hand, reign supreme on a resume.

Brainbench doesn't count
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1