• +
  • Last »

72 Replies - 2431 Views - Last Post: 15 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

So... apparently I have to move...

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

My insane, mulleted, alcoholic landlady called me around 10:00PM Tuesday to inform me that she wants to put the house on the market. I have until the end of May to either buy the house or move out.

So here's the dilemma:

• Buying a house in not an option.
  • I'd like to go CLOSER to the office to avoid my current 40 minute one-way commute, but rentals closer to work are typically pricier than I want to pay.
  • I can get much cheaper rentals my going closer to my mother, but that would tack an additional 20 minutes one-way onto my current commute.

How would you handle it? Would you fork over the extra cash to save on gas or go the cheap route on rent, but spend more in the tank? Help me make a decision!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So... apparently I have to move...

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So... apparently I have to move...

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'd crunch the numbers. How often do you fill up? How many gallons does your tank hold? Calculate the dGas/dmonth (assume d^2gas/dmonth^2 is going up for some more) vs. dRent/dMonth, then integrate over the long haul to see where you'd come out ahead.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Like what nerd said, i would crunch the numbers and see what works out cheaper. I hate landlords, there nice at first but are always b*stards in the long term.

Also if you don't save money up in a separate bank account already, start. Really helps when you hit situations like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

I hate sitting in traffic. My commute is anywhere from 20mins to an 1.5 hours depending on traffic and weather. If moving closer to the office is affordable then I'd go for it, even if it costs a bit more. Don't forget the cost of your time for those 2 hours/day you'll be sitting in traffic. If your companies not paying you for that time then thats money your costing yourself. That's 2 hours you could be doing something much better and possibly lucrative with your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Currently, I fill up twice per week. At $3.25/gallon, I spend roughly $30 per fill-up. Making the further move would tack on an extra fill-up each week for a total of ~$90/week in gas. Moving closer would cut my automotive fuel costs down to ~$15-$30/week (depending on how close I can get to the office).

Moving further, I'll save $100-$150/month on rent, but spend $120-$150 more on gas. Moving closer, I'll spend an additional $150-$200/month on rent, but save $120-$180 on fuel.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 04 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

It sounds like your savings for one will be eaten up either way. Let's look at other factors. Do you go out to eat for lunch at work often? If so, where is the sales tax lower? Where will you be districted for better schools for your kids? Where are the property taxes lower? Do your research on both to get a feeling for the cost of living.

Also, place some value on your time. Are you okay with sitting in traffic for an extra 20 minutes/day? Or is it worth it to you to get home sooner?

Edit: Also, does the local grocery chain at either location offer some sort of a fuelperks program? That could help defray the cost of gas some.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 04 March 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

Also, place some value on your time. Are you okay with sitting in traffic for an extra 20 minutes/day? Or is it worth it to you to get home sooner?

That. Where are your kids while you're driving an hour to work each way? If that's not an issue, and the fuel/rent benefits and costs cancel out, then live where you would rather live.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

Going CLOSER to work
Pros: It's a resort area with easy access to skiing/snowboarding, fitness center, indoor pools, a huge lake, restaurants, movie theater, boating, arcades, laser tag, mini golf, regular golf, college sports and activities, cultural events, horse back riding, active night life (for those kid-free weekends)
Cons: I'll likely be spending a lot more money actually doing things; it's further from family and friends; I'm not very familiar with the area

Going FURTHER from work
Pros: Easy access to friends and family; I'll spend less money on extracurricular activities; it's my hometown so I'm very familiar with the area and its inhabitants
Cons: Not much to do short of movie rentals, the six-pack shack and the pizza shop; my parents live there
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Didn't you have a lease? Or were you renting month to month? If you had a lease you've got some rights here, though I would have to admit after such a case I wouldn't want to stay living there... but there could be some discourse with your landlady for breaking the contract on you (just like they take your money if you break the contract, you can actually take theirs for breaking the contract... it's a two way street). Unless that is your lease is due to run up at the end of May... but that was 3 months to the day from Tuesday, so I'm betting she selected Tuesday because she knew by law she had to give you 3 months (if no lease is involved, or if an eviction is occurring... oh and wanting to sell the house is NOT case for eviction).

As for your cost analysis here. It looks like either way you go the fuel->rent ratio fluctuates roughly the same (give or take 30 bones). So in MY opinion, they work out the same. So time to consider the other things:

1) how are the schools in either location? You have kids, so this may be a big deal for you. For me it probably would play the largest role.

2) how are the areas, crime/poverty/drugs/etc.

3) how do you like each place comfort wise? For instance if your mum lives in the burbs or the country, vs your work being in the city. Some people like city life over country life, and vice versa.

4) What benefits do you get on your stressors? Living closer to work not only saves you in fuel, but it saves you the need to drive as far to work. For me this is a huge plus because I hate driving in rush hour traffic. In the same respect living next to mom may be useful for your kids. They can see nana/gram/nan-nan/whatever whenever, I don't know the relationship there, but say if your mum is the type to take the kids on weekends so you can have a night out, or if she takes them after school until you get home from work... this may be a huge benefit.

Note in case 4, if your mum takes the kids after school or something similar to that, your fuel cost analysis is for not because you'll end up driving out there anyways everyday.

[edit]

3 posts were posted while I was typing this... and I saw your pros and cons.

Skiing and Snowboarding near work!? MOVE THERE! :D

Oh and I see your negative comment about your parents... hey if friends and family aren't big helpers in the child rearing aspect of your life. I'd say move closer to work, you aught to be capable of avoiding those temptations when the budget doesn't allow it. It will give you a NEW place to live and discover stuff in... I don't know, I'm pro movin' about and avoiding the home town. Again though the 'school' thing would still play a leading part in all that.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

i would move closer to work, but hey, i'm a 20 something douchebag with no kids, of course that's what i would do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

At my house, our policy isn't about never doing anything. It's about finding the good deals, finding the coupons, etc., to save money. You don't strike me as the type who is going to spend at the expense (pun intended) of the essentials, building up savings some, etc. With that in mind, you work hard for your money, so if you enjoy the perks of being closer to work, that's your call.

Knowing your feelings about living closer to your parents, I would lean towards moving closer to work. For me personally, getting away from extended family is a big reason I want to go out of state for college next year. I can sympathize here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

If it were me I'd buy a kick-ass RV so my payments go towards OWNING something instead of just filling up a shoe box with rent receipts. In a worst case where you have to change cities for work or whatever you take your home with you. If you can work from home then you can be at a lake in Wisconsin for summer and the beach for winter.

My RV payment plus space rent still costs me less than my house mortgage.

http://web.me.com/tl...hWheelBlog.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 04 March 2011 - 12:06 PM, said:

Didn't you have a lease? Or were you renting month to month? If you had a lease you've got some rights here, though I would have to admit after such a case I wouldn't want to stay living there... but there could be some discourse with your landlady for breaking the contract on you (just like they take your money if you break the contract, you can actually take theirs for breaking the contract... it's a two way street). Unless that is your lease is due to run up at the end of May... but that was 3 months to the day from Tuesday, so I'm betting she selected Tuesday because she knew by law she had to give you 3 months (if no lease is involved, or if an eviction is occurring... oh and wanting to sell the house is NOT case for eviction).

Mullet Mary is my dad's cousin. There was no lease, only a verbal agreement. In addition to which, I've been through enough leases to know the standard is 30 days notice. So she's actually being quite nice in giving me 90 days notice. There is no eviction. I'm an excellent tenant. They get paid on time every time and I take care of the places I live.

1) how are the schools in either location? You have kids, so this may be a big deal for you. For me it probably would play the largest role.

The best schools in the area are where we are now. However, it is a town of less than 800 people and there is literally nothing currently available for rent in the district. The two areas of relocation in question have school districts which are not quite as good as our current district, but neither is significantly worse than the other.

2) how are the areas, crime/poverty/drugs/etc.

Going closer to mom is definitely higher on the poverty scale, but neither area is overrun by crime or drugs as of yet.

3) how do you like each place comfort wise? For instance if your mum lives in the burbs or the country, vs your work being in the city. Some people like city life over country life, and vice versa.

Mom's in a town of about 1,500 people. I much prefer the city. The kids loved living in the 'burbs.

4) What benefits do you get on your stressors? Living closer to work not only saves you in fuel, but it saves you the need to drive as far to work. For me this is a huge plus because I hate driving in rush hour traffic. In the same respect living next to mom may be useful for your kids. They can see nana/gram/nan-nan/whatever whenever, I don't know the relationship there, but say if your mum is the type to take the kids on weekends so you can have a night out, or if she takes them after school until you get home from work... this may be a huge benefit.

Note in case 4, if your mum takes the kids after school or something similar to that, your fuel cost analysis is for not because you'll end up driving out there anyways everyday.

Mom doesn't get the kids after school, they go to a sitter. Mom only takes them when they're sick so I can still go in to work. However, given the nature of my job, I can connect remotely and do my job from home with a sick kid just as easily.

@my Klingon friend - I have no desire to buy an RV. And unless you are volunteering to co-sign loans for me, it seems for now my money will have to be wasted on that shoe box full of rent receipts. You see, some of us fucked up royally in college and are working on cleaning up our mistakes. Buying anything requiring a loan isn't happening for another year or two.

This post has been edited by BenignDesign: 04 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

it seems to me you're in neutral territory on the moving part, and the best would be to stay put (but it isn't an option).

I'd go w/ city.

Your tone tends to lean towards city more than out by your parents.

I used to work real close to my house, it was awesome! When I left that job I got a house and worked from home, and that was awesome. I've recently started working in an office again and the place I used to live I can see from the office window... I still wish I still lived there, it would be so sweet to walk to work.

@Klingon - RV life is really cool. That's how my uncle did it for a long time living in the pacific northwest working on powerlines, trees, and the sort. He moved between Oregon, Washington and Alaska. Exciting life for him, but probably not the best life for kids, which B9 has.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'd have to agree with lordofduct about moving to the city. It sounds like more fun, and not being stuck with the same people all the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »