• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 1059 Views - Last Post: 06 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Your last high?

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

As weird as it sounds, i belive that programmers are, like druggies, somehow addicted to what they do, and, also, they are always looking for the epic "best high ever" that comes not from snorting speed, but from writing some "straight of the book" code, or from understanding certain concept, or language.It's something like the thrill that keeps hackers going.
So, my question is, when did you got the last high, and from what? (it doesn't have to be code-related, it can be maths, etc)

My answer is: (answering to my own questions, now that's lame :)) ) The last full high i got from understandig the concept of dynamic allocated memory, but i'm getting a constant hit from graphs (maybe because they are kinda hard to understand, so they give a good feeling after you manage to do it).

So, what about you?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your last high?

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your last high?

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

just a few minutes ago, riding it still

finished up a parser and interpreter for a small scripting language I wrote. It is used in my dynamic print layouts. It allows the print layouts to dynamically construct itself from data that is pulled from a multivalue database, and also perform some last minute operations to that data. The layouts are all stored as XML and will have a nice point and click designer tool for creating the XML layouts. I'm in the middle of writing the actual point and click designer right now.

When printing the layout and a pile of data are mixed together to create the resulting print page. The result can vary between:

a receipt for a transaction
end of day print out of transactions
inventory tracking print out
customer info list
employee pay info
etc etc etc

the point of this is so that anyone (not a programmer) can design their own custom layout easily and with out any real knowledge of the database or the actual underlying printer architecture (and furthermore allows us to add support for more printers, not just Microsoft and OPOS, with out having to write all new layouts).

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

The last high I got was from making someone aware their signature image is outside the bounds of the rules. I feel something tingling. Oh.. oh..oooooooooooh... what is it? 125 is greater than the 80 high maximum! uuuuuuuughhhhh! Wheew.. yeah that was a good one.

I also disagree that programmers are junkies. Just because one has a passion for something doesn't make them an abuser or slave to that source of passion. I mean sure I have a passion for masturbation but I am not a fap-junkie. Passion != addiction
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Last project: Big client/server retail sales system.
Current new concept: Parallel Programming in .NET 4
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 March 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

I also disagree that programmers are junkies. Just because one has a passion for something doesn't make them an abuser or slave to that source of passion. I mean sure I have a passion for masturbation but I am not a fap-junkie. Passion != addiction

No one called programmers 'junkies'.

The inverse can be said... just because some one uses drugs doesn't make them a 'junkie' or an 'addict'. I drink, but I'm not a drunk.

Though of course when one gets sloshed or baked, they might kid around and joke about how 'bad/horrible' they are.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

just because some one uses drugs doesn't make them a 'junkie' or an 'addict'.

It does in my world. But I'm an ass with a zero-tolerance outlook. I am also a self admitted caffeine addict. I have to have my one fix of something every day, either a Mt. Dew or a frappicino.

I also see a clear delineation between 'junkie' and 'addict'. To me a junkie is that person that had ceased to function in the world as a result of their addiction. A junkie lives for the next fix. An addict (smoking, booze, caffeine, masturbation) is able to incorporate their addiction into a functioning life without negatively affecting their performance.

A guy that has to have a beer when he gets home from work is an addict.
A guy that blows off work in order to go to the bar is a junkie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 04 March 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

just because some one uses drugs doesn't make them a 'junkie' or an 'addict'.

It does in my world. But I'm an ass with a zero-tolerance outlook. I am also a self admitted caffeine addict. I have to have my one fix of something every day, either a Mt. Dew or a frappicino.

That's the 'addict' part.

I've smoked pot before, am I pot head? I haven't smoked it in ages. But it's not like I'm against doing it again in the future. Where as my ex-roommate had to smoke a joint in the morning, smoke a bowl at lunch, and smoke another eighth of dank at night while putting in at least 2 hours to LoL or some other... that's an addict (both to pot and videogames).

there's a key part in the definition of any form of the word 'addict' (-ed, -tion, -ing, etc).. and that is it's 'habitual'.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 04 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Although nothing compared to what you guys know, but I felt great when I learnt how to use functions in PHP and C++. I am currently close to knowing objects and classes in PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Whenever code just flows out of me. Like whenever I just know what to do where to put things and what to write. It's amazing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

I've been working on a heuristic for the Travelling Salesman problem. So far, I'm cautiously optimistic that my algorithm finds better hamiltonian circuits. I still have a ways to go in implementations, proof, tests against other known algorithms, etc. Graph Theory always manages to get me excited!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Today has been a buzzzzzzzzz for me. I'm over a few sites in some large states (California, Texas are a couple) and was passed something another developer had "finished" a month ago in one of my states while I was out for surgery. It had slipped right through the cycle and was pushed live with two document production stopping bugs. The program would bomb and then management would receive emails as it did so. It was such a rush working as fast as I could to try and beat the next crash. I'm still finding it hard to be still!

.....that and the line of Charlie Sheen I did a few minutes ago

This post has been edited by absynthe: 04 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

crap, I'm an addict now... I smoked some herb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

Nothing about sweet Mary Jane could be considered addictive in any way, shape or form. You're in luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

actually, marijuana is addictive and habit forming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

Habbit forming -yes
Addictive -no

Playing tennis in the morning for a hour a day, for two years, forms a habbit, but that doesn't mean that in five years somewone would give head to strangers to buy a new tennis racket .
Pot is great and relaxing, and you didn't live your life until you didn't see the light show of Windows Media Player, while listening to an mp3, on pot.But people are overreacting.If you can't die from pot, that doesn't mean that somewone should smoke a kilo/day...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +