5 Replies - 5336 Views - Last Post: 06 March 2011 - 02:38 AM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Unreal vs unity vs Directx for game development (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Unreal vs unity vs Directx for game development

1. Unreal (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. unity (2 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. directx (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. others--please comment (1 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Unreal vs unity vs Directx for game development

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

Which one of these things are best for developing games? Which is easiest? Which one can you use to make some money off of?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unreal vs unity vs Directx for game development

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Unreal vs unity vs Directx for game development

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

POPULAR

I would say that Direct X is not comparable to the other two suggestions. Direct X is an API for game development, whereas UDK and Unity are game engines (probably written in Direct X).

As for which is easiest, it's definitely easier to get a graphically impressive game up and running using UDK or Unity as they basically are specifically for that purpose and make it quite simple. I wouldn't say either of them are easy though and both will need some dedicated time to become proficient in. Direct X is a completely different ball game and will require some serious programming skills to make anything as good as what you will make in Unity or UDK.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

It depends what you're good at on which will be easiest, also it depends what you are planning on doing.

You can make money from directx and unreal without paying anything at first.

Unity however seems to charge for quite a lot of the functionality/platform compatibility
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Unreal and Unity are great game engines. I have only personally used Unity so cannot compare the two. DirectX is a framework for programming games (especially the graphics side of it), which is comparable to others such as OpenGL.

I am against programs such as Game Maker which really do not require you to know any programming, just drag and drop. But Unity (and presumably Unreal) gives you a very solid base on which you can improve.

DirectX is great if you know exactly how you want your game to work, and you want to cut out anything that you wouldn't be using. Unity and Unreal are better when you do not want to start from scratch (and indeed if you are a bit weaker at the game programming than others may be).

I did not choose which one is best as they are not comparable and I have mainly only used Unity.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Everyone!!:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Indie Game Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:38 AM

As Staycrisp said, Directx is an API and thus gives you much much more control over what you do.

As far Unity and UDK are concerned, both are awesome engines and I have experience with both. I found unity to be more starter friendly. Its easy for any new 3D game developer to pickup Unity and play with it and come up with a prototype very fast.

UDK on the other hand has an advantage that it much more powerful than Unity and provides more utilities and features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1