11 Replies - 20131 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is the best language to create a dynamic website

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hello,
I would like to know for yourself what is the best language to create a professional website of large scale to support a large traffic.
Powerful, fast, safe, easy ...
PHP,
ASP,
Python,
Ruby on Rails,
Java,
ColdFusion
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: What is the best language to create a dynamic website

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the best language to create a dynamic website

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

PHP, ASP.NET and Ruby on rails have all proven themselves to be up to the challenge of high traffic, safe and reliable websites. But really any of those languages can be made to work and are used in personal as well as professional setups. I typically recommend PHP to those new to the web scene and want to be something scalable and works while also has lots of documentation and very flexible for all sorts of sites.

But I know others who prefer one of the other languages listed there. Try a few out and see which one you like. If you are running on a linux host and want mysql as a back end, I would again go PHP. If you are on a windows server and have mssql as a database, ASP.NET typically is the way to go. But it is up to you as to which you find easier and like to work with. Only way you will know is to try them.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

In my opinion i would go with PHP just cause that is what im most knowledgeable in.

I would also recommend and encourage you to add in Javascript and/or AJAX to make your site even more dynamic :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

PHP is simple and easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

In my opinion

PHP is losing ground and Asp.net is where its at these days , go for ASP.NET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

View Postmarinus, on 20 March 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

In my opinion

PHP is losing ground and Asp.net is where its at these days , go for ASP.NET

Could you explain the reasoning behind that statement?

Judging by numbers from sources like netcraft.com, numbers of open-source servers are still far higher than Microsoft servers, and are growing at a faster rate. Those typically come as LAMP or Java (Tomcat, GlassFish, etc...) packages.

I mean:
Posted Image

Even conservatively assuming only half of Apache servers deploy PHP sites, the numbers are still higher than Microsoft (.NET) servers, and growing much faster. - And that's not to mention that many of those Microsoft servers also deploy PHP sites. (Not sure how many though.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

Tiobe ,

According to some google chrome add-on that i had it said that 40% of websites is runs on PHP..

If read this on some blogs. With some of it i agree and some not , PHP is very much alive but i think it is really losing ground

TIOBE Software
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

Even if PHP is losing ground, it isn't losing it to ASP.NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

View Postmarinus, on 20 March 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

Tiobe ,
TIOBE Software

What?? Comparing a server side scripting language to programming languages like C++, Visual Basic and even assembly in the same chart?
wtf is that report trying to achieve? So from now on we should make websites using C or Java only because they rank higher! :dontgetit:
and where did this company get all the data for the programming languages "rating" from? or did they ask their employees to rate? <_<

This post has been edited by EarthShaker: 20 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

The biggest websites around run PHP, Facebook is a prime example that php can handle stress, PHP has the upper hand and will always have, its open source, multi-platform and there is way more tutorials and how-to's then asp or any other web language. if someone disagrees please show me some proof.
Also i have came across way more people that program in PHP then in asp so the help will also be faster with php then asp.

I also find that majority of the people that code asp and asp.net are the people that just got tought it at university and through courses where as php alot of the people started learning it through trial and error and through online help.

That's just my view point.

View PostEarthShaker, on 21 March 2011 - 01:40 AM, said:

View Postmarinus, on 20 March 2011 - 11:25 PM, said:

Tiobe ,
TIOBE Software

What?? Comparing a server side scripting language to programming languages like C++, Visual Basic and even assembly in the same chart?
wtf is that report trying to achieve? So from now on we should make websites using C or Java only because they rank higher! :dontgetit:
and where did this company get all the data for the programming languages "rating" from? or did they ask their employees to rate? <_<

The TIOBE Programming Community index is an indicator of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines Google, Bing, Yahoo!, Wikipedia, YouTube and Baidu are used to calculate the ratings. Observe that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.

The index can be used to check whether your programming skills are still up to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language should be adopted when starting to build a new software system. The definition of the TIOBE index can be found here.

smells like hogwash to me, i would not take there ratings seriously. If you chose php or asp or ruby there all languages and majority of the languages here today are going nowhere. so you cant really make a wrong decision and suddenly find your self with out work cause a language fell away.

edit--
If you looking for scalability as far as size and clustering with ASP you are going to be paying out of your ass when trying to set up a redundant load balanced server cluster where as with php everything you can use is opensource and its easy, took me a couple of hours to get a 8 server farm running with a bunch of old machines all running linux, and i am a beginner when it comes to linux. goto howtoForge they have good articles there on howto setup a high availability web-server cluster.

This post has been edited by ludjer: 20 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for your answers!
I also did some research.
I found this site that lists the popularity of languages ​​in real time.
Of course this is not the only language for the web but we can notice that PHP is almost always in the top rankings
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

View Postlaresistance2, on 21 March 2011 - 02:23 AM, said:

Thank you for your answers!
I also did some research.
I found this site that lists the popularity of languages ​​in real time.
Of course this is not the only language for the web but we can notice that PHP is almost always in the top rankings

nice find ^^ !!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1