Writing a Tutorial?

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 585 Views - Last Post: 06 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Writing a Tutorial?

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Do I need to use a special form to make a tutorial or do I just start a new thread in the respective Tutorial forum? Also, so I get rewarded with kudos for those? I would also like to write an Objective-C tutorial, so I'm not sure where I would create it.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Writing a Tutorial?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Writing a Tutorial?

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

You can submit Objective-C tutorials to the Other Languages tutorials section, and iPhone specific tutorials to the Mobile Development tutorials section under the iPhone category. We award 50 Kudos per approved tutorial.

There is no general format for tutorials. However you want to format your tutorial is fine. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Please also note that once you push submit, it gets put into a queue that Moderators and Admins can see. You will not be able to see it at that point. It may take up to several weeks for us to approve a tutorial based on the qualifications of the team. You will receive a PM if it is rejected and some kudos if it is not rejected.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

What would happen if the tutorial were in a language (for example something like Occam-Pi perhaps?) which very few people know? If there is not a member of the team that can check whether the tutorial works or not, how would it be submitted?

It is a question that I have often wondered but never gotten around to asking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Generally, tutorials submitted in such obscure languages are introductory in nature. Enough so that one of us can spend a half-hour or so to learn the language well enough to review the tutorial, etc. If it isn't, we may ask a qualified Expert or Mentor to review the contribution. That being said, tutorials and snippets in obscure languages can sit for a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

On a similar note, is there any special requirements for submitting snippets? I mean a person could make a simple 4 line snippet and submit it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Yes. When you go to submit a snippet, you should see these guidelines:

Snippet Guidelines
A Code Snippet is a useful piece of code which accomplishes a common task, demonstrates a technique or concept, fills a gap in an existing language, and could be reused in an existing application. Snippets should be well commented and explain the concepts being used. Snippets should be useful to a wide audience. Snippets should conform to standards when possible.

Snippets should not simply be an example of a built in function or library. Snippets should not be full applications unless the application demonstrates a useful concept. Snippets should not be malicious or violate any laws (including intellectual property laws).

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1