Have you ever written a malware?

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

95 Replies - 14961 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

#16 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Have you ever written a malware?

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

View Postxclite, on 08 March 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

Yes the OP is going to meet with these people, and these people are all going to provide full strategies for making malware if he asks. Or maybe we could all stop acting like the ridiculous department of homeland security and labeling everything as terrorism and a threat to our ways of life and act like adults.

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 March 2011 - 03:27 PM, said:

There is no real and genuine need for 99.9% of coders to have to do keylogging or to secretly obtain keypresses without the user knowing. If you want to make a hotkey for your application there are a half dozen legit ways to do it.

A security research project at my university used a form of interrupt processing similar to keylogging to detect when unauthorized requests are sent out. Just because your terrified opinion of these skills doesn't have a use for them doesn't mean it's not important. Dude got a fellowship for his work.

Thank you for making my point for me. Legitimate use of such things tends to be done by legitimate groups and facilities not by anonymous individual whackers on a forum doing Google searches. I seriously doubt your University security research project started by jumping on a forum and asking "Hey, has anyone had success at building a malware?"

I never said "all" I said 99.9%. Your dude that got a fellowship is the .1% of the general population and you know that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Actually about 1/5 of my graduating class in some way experimented with that stuff.

And are you actually suggesting that we, those at Dreamincode, people who thrive on self-learning, should only be playing with things in courses?

Moreover, perhaps the OP would become part of that 0.1%. I also like that your statistic actually has no factual basis.

Moremoreover (I should read from top to bottom rather than top, bottom, top, middle), of course projects don't get started that way. Interest does.

I could pop in and ask who's ever done work in Artificial Intelligence in high school and come to college for a PHD in it after being inspired by somebody's experience.

This post has been edited by xclite: 08 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

I am going to reinforce my point: i am not interested in meeting people to ask them how to write it etc. I think i might have worded my question in a wrong way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

No you worded it pretty well. People just like to sensationalize things and make assumptions about your intentions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

darek9576: Why are you avoiding answer my question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 08 March 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

darek9576: Why are you avoiding answer my question?

I am not avoiding it. Why i think its cool? More challenging then uni type coursworks like high-low game, hangman game etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

POPULAR

I've been contacted by companies to reverse engineer software that was written by a software company that is no longer in service. Said company can't continue growth or adapt changes because the software in question is no longer supported & their business model benches on it.

I've also been contacted by a friend over secret matters involving a cheating spouse.

As far as consulted lawyers have informed me, if said person is running software on their own machine, they are allowed to bend the rules of malicious software because it's their accounts, & their software. So in a matter of speaking, an individual is allowed to spy on themselves as long as they are not breaking TOS with software &/or companies.

As JackOfAllTrades mentioned on the 1st page, & I agree 100%. Adults can discuss topics just fine. It's the script kiddie mentality that ruins it.

Learn the darkstuff, someone else is going to. It's the best way to use it when you need it, & to know & understand how the rules apply, how they are bent, & how they are broken. Turning a blind eye to it because it shouldn't be talked about is silly. Burring your proverbial head in the sand will not make it disappear, & it certainly doesn't help my shop in removing it from clients computers &/or blocking it in the 1st place.

One could be the best marksman in the world, with the most powerful guns/weapons. but it doesn't mean that they ever need to shoot someone.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#23 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

It's not now, nor ever has been about the OP's intent.
Its about the intent of all those others that google such things for malicous intent.

I could pop in and ask who's ever done work in Artificial Intelligence in high school and come to college for a PHD in it after being inspired by somebody's experience.

Personally I don't think malware is one of those things to be inspiring people about.

Moreover, perhaps the OP would become part of that 0.1%.

Sure. He might. Absolutely. And of all the kids that are curious about blowing shit up, a small number go into demolition and mining or military. The rest just get called 'stumpy' or 'lefty'. Just like a small percentage of people that experiment with crack decide to become drug researchers or pharmacological engineers. The rest just wind up as junkies.

It's never been about what this one OP might one day become. It's about providing a platform for the rest of the people with poor intent.

Here's the part I find truly interesting in all of this. While a few of us have been debating whether or not it's right, not one person has responded to the actual question posed. After all nothing is stopping them from doing so. Nothing stops people from having cross-talk on these threads. Personally I'd love to hear how someone admits to writing & releasing malware and finds a way to legitimize their reasons for doing so.

Keeping in mind the question was about 'malware': Software deliberately written for malicious reasons. Not about how they added keylogging to their word processor as a legitimate function to provide real-time error recovery; because that's not malware.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Keep in mind that he never asked for code - how would this provide a platform for others of evil intent? Especially if members responding followed the rules.

And security is certainly something to inspire people about, and going in clueless about malware makes you maybe a little less effective.

RE: those who could answer the question: Maybe they're waiting for people to stop debating if it's appropriate before responding.

This post has been edited by xclite: 08 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 14 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

No I have never written malware and have yet to find a reason to. Some may suggest I have yet to write valid software as well :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

tlhIn`toq, on 08 March 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

As for challenges while doing coursworks course work, one only needs to worry about such challenges if they are getting a perfect 4.00 in all their classes. If one can't muster that, then they don't need to be adding to, or sidetracked from, a workload that is already beyond their capabilities.

Are you kidding me? I mean. The entire thread aside. Are you kidding me?!

First, not having a 4.0 is not indicative of a workload beyond one's abilities.
Second, he may be quite challenged in his freshman History class but want more programming challenges. It's possible that he got an A- in this History class. I'd rather learn some new stuff on the side and have an A- than simply learn my curriculum and get the A, especially if the A- was in something like Art History. Which is going to further his career/life goals in this case?

I am still having a hard time believing that a member of this forum told somebody NOT to seek challenges unless they have a 4.0. This is quite possibly some of the worst advice regarding challenging yourself I've ever heard.

This post has been edited by xclite: 08 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 March 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

Here's the part I find truly interesting in all of this. While a few of us have been debating whether or not it's right, not one person has responded to the actual question posed. After all nothing is stopping them from doing so. Nothing stops people from having cross-talk on these threads. Personally I'd love to hear how someone admits to writing & releasing malware and finds a way to legitimize their reasons for doing so.

I did!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

I've written a virus (Self replicating Program) (not on windows).
I've written a keylogger. (Not hard)

I haven't written malware because I follow the ethic of

Do no harm.
Malware by its name is malicious. (They do it for Monetary gain rather than Intellectual gain)

Mark Russinovich's Advance Malware Cleaning Webcast
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 14 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »