• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Have you ever written a malware?

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 March 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

View Postdarek9576, on 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 08 March 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

darek9576: Why are you avoiding answer my question?

I am not avoiding it. Why i think its cool? More challenging then uni type coursworks like high-low game, hangman game etc.

Do you know what else might prove more challenging? Learning English.
'then' - adverb used to relate sequences over time. Do this first, then do that.
'than' - conjuction used to associate subjects. I'd rather be doing this than that.

As for challenges while doing coursworks course work, one only needs to worry about such challenges if they are getting a perfect 4.00 in all their classes. If one can't muster that, then they don't need to be adding to, or sidetracked from, a workload that is already beyond their capabilities.

ad hominem attack... you know better than that. (if you're wondering why I down rep'd you)

That's the thing.. It is not advice. This is not an advice column and I am not Dear Abby.
This is the 'General Discussion' forum. It is a place for airing one's opinions and thoughts. It is not one of the technical advice forums on the proper way to write code.

Yes, and this is why the discussion was created. The OP wanted to know people's experiences and opinions about it. And not help or assistance in making it.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 08 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#32 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

POPULAR

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 08 March 2011 - 04:22 PM, said:

I've written a virus (Self replicating Program) (not on windows).

ONLY WINDOWS CAN GET VIRUSES ZOMG OH-NOEZ! MAC OSX & UBUTNU ARE VIRUS PROOOOOF!!! *head explodes*
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

#33 xclite  Icon User is online

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

POPULAR

That's not the thing. The thing is your opinion is that exploration and challenges are not to be pursued unless you're flawless academically, and that's ridiculous, which in my opinion is asinine. If anybody agrees with this, please enlighten me so that I can see the light. To further make it not the thing, let me rephrase. That's the most useless opinion on challenging one's self I've ever seen, ever.

I wonder if Torvald's had a 4.0. Or Zuckerberg, or the founders of Google, or anybody who ever did anything in their spare time.

I guess if we shouldn't be challenging ourselves outside of courses, we don't have much else to discuss.

On topic, I have not written anything very advanced, just simple internet stuff like cross site scripting and session hijacking. No software that works on a victim's computer.

Edit: Actually, I did write a program to perform a buffer overflow, but that was in a very structured environment as an example.

This post has been edited by xclite: 08 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 08 March 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 08 March 2011 - 04:22 PM, said:

I've written a virus (Self replicating Program) (not on windows).

ONLY WINDOWS CAN GET VIRUSES ZOMG OH-NOEZ! MAC OSX & UBUTNU ARE VIRUS PROOOOOF!!! *head exploses*

Plus it was on Operating System which was loaded from ROM every power on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Now you're just showing off ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#36 xclite  Icon User is online

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

AND HE WROTE IT IN HTML.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Nope BBC BASIC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 08 March 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

if you're wondering why I down rep'd you

This is why I avoid 'General Discussion' topics. Some people like to attack your rep points because they take something you said personally. "General Discussion" forum shouldn't even allow + or - reping. It is not a technical discussion thread. Someone voicing their OPINION in a debate should not have to censor their statements out of fear of childish reprisals. If you can't carry the weight of your side of the debate with words, then don't engage in the discussion.

This was actually a really fun discussion and one of the most passionate conversations I've seen in a long time. It's a shame someone had to go and fuck it all up.

I bid you all good day and now unsubscribe from this topic.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 08 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 March 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

View Postdarek9576, on 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 08 March 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

darek9576: Why are you avoiding answer my question?

I am not avoiding it. Why i think its cool? More challenging then uni type coursworks like high-low game, hangman game etc.

Do you know what else might prove more challenging? Learning English.
'then' - adverb used to relate sequences over time. Do this first, then do that.
'than' - conjuction used to associate subjects. I'd rather be doing this than that.

As for challenges while doing coursworks course work, one only needs to worry about such challenges if they are getting a perfect 4.00 in all their classes. If one can't muster that, then they don't need to be adding to, or sidetracked from, a workload that is already beyond their capabilities.

If you are so into languages, we could talk in French or German. Since English is not my first language i think i am allowed to make a spelling mistake. I could also suggest that your English is crap since you don't understand the question and you are not answering it !!!!!!!
Think twice before you post something stupid and off topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Malicious Software is one of the largest risks to any computer based system. So anybody interested in security should always learn how to make and prevent malware, same goes for website hacking and anything else that is considered taboo because of the dangers. To prevent, you must understand.

That said, I strongly dislike those that use the knowledge for any purposes other than educational or security. I do not like crackers. But a good security professional (of which I am not, but I try to dabble in everything computer based so that I understand how it all works) needs to be able to match their enemies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

I'm not nearly smart enough to write legit malware. :P

Let's see, I once created a keylogger and installed it on my machine to see if it worked. It did, but I guess I erased the source code from my hard drive after having it work because I just forgot about it. That's the thing, I never made it with bad intentions in mind - just mucking about.

Another malware I made was a program that detected each song in the My Music folder with Rick Astley's never gonna give you up.

So one morning at 4am I went to my brother's computer (we live in the same house) and backed up his entire music library to a portable HD, then ran my 'malware' over his local copies. Hehehe...

He expected some Reggeton, he got some 90's pop music. :lol:

Now that was funny.

But again, I would never release something that caused harm. I mean, we're engineers - we carry a lot of responsibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I have written a number of viruses when I was in highschool. I used to have a collection of viruses (I think I still have it on some old HD laying about my office) that I would debug and experiment with - MAN I wish VM's existed back then!

None of my viruses had any kind of payload, they just spread. For a while this was a fun experiment but when my little brother ran one of the infected programs without any monitor/control running and I infected my entire disk and several floppies I curbed the research. It took quite a while to scan (by HAND/EYE) every exe/com file I had to ensure I had contained the virus. For weeks a was sh!ʇing bricks worried that the virus had made it to the schools network (it only spread though exe/com's not boot sectors but on the school network with shared drives it would have probably spread pretty far).

Anyway, my point is -- there are some very interesting aspects to malware, I think that the kind of thinking required is definitely a benefit to explore BUT even the most responsible controls offer potential for disaster.

For example I once found a MS-Word macro virus on some work computers, I brought the virus to the attention of a superior who wanted me to give him the source so that he could spy on his wife (fortunately the head of IT was NOT allowing that source out). -- SO even if your interest in malware is purely academic there is always a chance it will get away from you either though some incident like a little brother playing, or though some script-kiddy-wanna-be-h4x0r getting to your source or just using your ideas "for evil".

So I generally avoid the area now, although I really do think that there are beneficial points to "white hat/grey hat" pursuits.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#43 xclite  Icon User is online

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 08 March 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

This is why I avoid 'General Discussion' topics. Some people like to attack your rep points because they take something you said personally. "General Discussion" forum shouldn't even allow + or - reping. It is not a technical discussion thread. Someone voicing their OPINION in a debate should not have to censor their statements out of fear of childish reprisals. If you can't carry the weight of your side of the debate with words, then don't engage in the discussion.

Somebody voicing their OPINION shouldn't be the victim of ad hominem attacks, either. You obviously didn't think your arguments on challenges had enough weight, because you also attacked the OP personally.

This post has been edited by xclite: 08 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

-- deleted comment, xclite said what needed to be said, and I decided it was more fitting to PM instead.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 08 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

View Postxclite, on 08 March 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

AND HE WROTE IT IN HTML.