9 Replies - 8644 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2007 - 11:04 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Ruby on Rails Losing Steam

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

Attached Image
The steady growth Ruby on Rails has seen over the past year seems to be slowing. Is this the end for RoR? And here I thought the language had such potential.

http://www.google.co...on+rails&ctab=0

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ruby on Rails Losing Steam

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ruby on Rails Losing Steam

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

who knows, i've learned a little and it does have an amazing base of coding ability, but i'm just not sure it's good enough to replace the languages people are "comfortable with" just yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

I think it's still a great langauge, and will be going forward. It has happened with other languages that when first on the scene, it generates a prolonged period of interest. During that period, many people try it, and find it suitable to their needs, while others try and find they prefer something else. that tends to even out the popularity after a while - Ruby is likely finsding it's niche...I expect further developments will renew interest for a different demographic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

Myself i like the language, hopefully people start going back to trying to spread it and start using it. But if anything there might be a time were some coders from DIC just come back and introduce Ruby again to the public with a program created, And of course everyone will want Ruby tutorials and Help, And DIC will get a whole bunch of people rushing to its section of the forums, Creating alot more Traffic For Dic ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

My favorite language. Still learning Ruby along with rails. I think iv actually made useful programs with ruby. It makes me more productive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

I didn't like Rails at first, so I went with Django for a while. I've learned enough of both to decide when to use which, now, though, but I feel more comfortable in Django, simply because I've had more time to experiment with it.

It doesn't appear Rails is losing steam, so much as not gaining any more. I suppose they have simply infiltrated the market capacity, pretty much, and will likely see relatively lower growth in the future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

Actually I think with the new release of rails, popularity is going to increase. It is a new language, once web apps start popping up everywere than things are gona get hot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure I'd classify it as new...ruby has been around for quite some time, and the rails framework has been around since 2004 as well. Like any relatively young addition to the programming world, there is always an immediate spike in use which then slowly tapers off., this often happens because some people try it, and find they prefer other engines/languages, while some adopt it fully and continue. The fall-off in new users for ruby is not indicative of anything negative about the language, or the rails framework. It's a very good set-up, this just happens with every single programming or scripting language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

I liked ruby, it was like BASIC fused with JAVA. However, I still prefer the languages I am very comfortable with. It didn't take me long at all to learn ruby, however, on the plus side. It was a simple enough language in comparison.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

I don't know why it would losing steam, I personally think it is an awesome framework, and ruby is awesome by itself too. Version 2 looks pretty good, haven't had any time to actually look at all the new features yet.
One thing that is probably limiting it (and probably the reason why it's not being adopted as quickly) is putting it on shared hosting sites. I've done this and it is a pain to get it up and running initially, but once you are over that hump there's nothing to it. Plus most shared hosting sites don;t have subversion so I don't think you can deploy with capistrano (I may be wrong though).

Also here's a link about the Rails V 2.0 http://weblog.rubyon...s-2-0-it-s-done
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1