Motherboards and Gaming

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Wil a Asus P5Q support a ATI 5770 Gpu?
Or do I have to have a more powerfull motherboard
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Motherboards and Gaming

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Motherboards and Gaming

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

POPULAR

Have you tried checking the Asus site for the specs? Seems like the first place to look. Otherwise you're just asking "Will someone else do my reading for me?"

http://event.asus.com/mb/p5q/
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

More powerfull motherboard? Dude the mother board(except the ones that have integrated videos) are just to place parts of your computer(very simple explanation). ATI 5770 is using 1 PCI Express x16 port which have so your motherboard will support it. However you may want to check if your PSU will hold your new video card.
EDIT: btw i think this should be in Computer Support & Operating Systems forum

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 11 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

There's a bit more to a motherboard then that, and there is power behind a motherboard.

The chipset is usually where you look if you want to know the 'power'. For example in the OP's case they'd be concerned about how many PCI Express lanes there are on the machine, and how many of the ports are full 16x slots (just because they're the size of 16x slots doesn't mean they run at 16x slots). Furthermore you may want to make sure that the PCIe specifications meet the demands of the card, the card may require PCIe 2.0, but your board may not (in this case you need to look into both the card and the board).

Of course 99% of the time these things go unnoticed because most all motherboards with PCI express will at least 'work' and never raise a warning to the normal user who only has the one or two expansion cards in it. But this doesn't mean they're running at best performance speeds, and that doesn't mean if they happen to have more epxansion cards that the system will support all of them at the same time.

there is a reason there are high end performance motherboards, they have high end performance parts in them that allow for better stuff. Faster RAM, more PCIe lanes, more RAM slots, fater/more SATA ports, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

You just gotta make sure the pins match up. It's probably the processor that you're worried about. ;) Also, wrong forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

View Post:(D):(P):, on 11 March 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

Wil a Asus P5Q support a ATI 5770 Gpu?
Or do I have to have a more powerfull motherboard

Short answer: yes.

I have both that mobo and that card.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

Idk, OP, considering how Craig games, you should upgrade ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

:sadlike:

You take that back. See if I bail yer ass out of a mob of zombies next time. They were like fat kids on a donut I seem to recall.

...why the very notion...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Lol okaaaaaaayyyyyy well if you didn't just leave me all alone to begin with...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Did not.

I was busy healing cause my health got down to 96 or so...I got to you eventually.

...just cause you ran off in a bad neighborhood ain't MY fault.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 11 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostCraig328, on 11 March 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

They were like fat kids on a donut I seem to recall.

Wouldn't it be "More like zombies on a fat kid" ?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 11 March 2011 - 09:05 AM, said:

There's a bit more to a motherboard then that, and there is power behind a motherboard.

The chipset is usually where you look if you want to know the 'power'. For example in the OP's case they'd be concerned about how many PCI Express lanes there are on the machine, and how many of the ports are full 16x slots (just because they're the size of 16x slots doesn't mean they run at 16x slots). Furthermore you may want to make sure that the PCIe specifications meet the demands of the card, the card may require PCIe 2.0, but your board may not (in this case you need to look into both the card and the board).

Of course 99% of the time these things go unnoticed because most all motherboards with PCI express will at least 'work' and never raise a warning to the normal user who only has the one or two expansion cards in it. But this doesn't mean they're running at best performance speeds, and that doesn't mean if they happen to have more epxansion cards that the system will support all of them at the same time.

there is a reason there are high end performance motherboards, they have high end performance parts in them that allow for better stuff. Faster RAM, more PCIe lanes, more RAM slots, fater/more SATA ports, etc.

Dude, what about the PSU? you need a good psu to run a good graphics card.http://cdn2.dreamincode.net/dreamincode/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/gun_bandana.gifAttached Imagehttp://cdn2.dreaminc...t/bananaman.gif
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 11 March 2011 - 09:05 AM, said:

Dude, what about the PSU? you need a good psu to run a good graphics card.http://cdn2.dreamincode.net/dreamincode/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/gun_bandana.gifAttached Imagehttp://cdn2.dreaminc...t/bananaman.gif
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1