1 Replies - 652 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2011 - 03:32 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Domain Name Registration

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured it didn't belong in a coding help forum considering it's more a question of curiosity than anything else. I've began work on my first large website and I've been thinking about how the domain name registration process works. If domain registrars accept money to register domain names for people, how do they do it themselves? Is it possible to cut out the middle man and register a domain name for free/cheaper if you have the know-how? I've never quite understood how domain registration works. Where are all the registered names stored? Who's enforcing them?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Domain Name Registration

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Domain Name Registration

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:32 AM

Each domain extension (.com, .net, etc...) are owned by different organizations. The most common ones such as .com and .net are owned by Verisign. Registrars are companies that are licensed to be able to resell or rather lease domains out to the general public. Verisign issues the license for you to be able to resell a domain and charges a certain rate per domain. Whatever the rate the registrar charges minus the Verisign cost is the profit per domain.

To become a registrar, I will assume you need to plan to be in the domain reselling business and get licensed by the appropriate organization. You can't just so-called cut out the registrar just because you want to save a few bucks. That said, you can compare prices of one registrar vs another. There are some private registrars that have lower registration fees.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1