3 Replies - 1676 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

university enrollment system

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:07 AM

hello everyone.I have to write an university enrollment system using asp.net or php.im right now at gathering requirements .a teacher of mine told me when it comes to designing websites such as enrollment system i need to look more into the server side like what if 4000 students access the site and they want to enroll.what i think is when someone hosts a website on godaddy or networksolution they will handle the traffic .i would like to know what do they mean by having your server .does it mean i make my pc into server like apache server and user when they want to enroll they will use my computer as a server?or if i just upload the site on to a hosting website with sql database will there be any drawback?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: university enrollment system

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: university enrollment system

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

Having a web server could mean either of the two. You turned a pc of yours into a web server, or you ordered web hosting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

View Postdeathmeat, on 14 March 2011 - 04:07 AM, said:

hello everyone.I have to write an university enrollment system using asp.net or php.im right now at gathering requirements .a teacher of mine told me when it comes to designing websites such as enrollment system i need to look more into the server side like what if 4000 students access the site and they want to enroll.what i think is when someone hosts a website on godaddy or networksolution they will handle the traffic .i would like to know what do they mean by having your server .does it mean i make my pc into server like apache server and user when they want to enroll they will use my computer as a server?or if i just upload the site on to a hosting website with sql database will there be any drawback?

There are quite a few things your asking here...

I would like to know what do they mean by having your server

When they say that, they mean that they are hosting whatever you upload. Meaning that they are your server, instead of using your own computer as one.

Does it mean i make my pc into server like apache server and user when they want to enroll they will use my computer as a server?

Not if you have an external host, no. You can host the website on your computer if you wanted to, but it would have to run 24/7 if you want people to access it whenever they wanted.

If i just upload the site on to a hosting website with sql database will there be any drawback?
There is always the possibility that your host will crash, corrupt your files, or some other thing. These possibilities are the same on your own computer as well. Really the best thing you could do is to create backups regularly. You usually have to pay for hosting if you want better service, but the drawbacks are usually outweighed by the good things on paid hosts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

For something that will be getting that amount of traffic take a look at renting a dedicated server. These aren't cheap so do some shopping around.

Alternatively, get your college/university to host it from their web servers. Being a university they are bound to have a quick download/upload speed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1