How Microsoft rewrote its browser from scratch

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 2222 Views - Last Post: 18 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How Microsoft rewrote its browser from scratch

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

Came across this article and i thought to share.

What's your take on the new improved IE9 RC?

Cheers.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How Microsoft rewrote its browser from scratch

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How Microsoft rewrote its browser from scratch

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

To be honest, that kind of reads like the usual Microsoft propaganda. They always talk about the amazing new things they've done with the new software, and how it will revolutionize the way we look at life itself. - And then it falls flat on it's face. (And drags us down in the mud with it.)

What I found interesting about that article is that he talks most about the brand new code-base IE9 is based on, and how amazingly different it is from IE8. - Which is something nobody can verify except the M$ staff itself. (Proprietary code and all.)

Non-verifiable code-base updates and Javascript performance updates aside, what is most important is the standards support. If I need to develop yet another IE fix stylesheet for IE9 I'd prefer it if they just stuck to IE8.

I'd comment on the IE9 RC but I don't seem to be able to uninstall the IE9 beta .:baaa:

I'll give them one thing though. Of all the browsers I have, the IE9 beta renders most of the custom fonts I use best. Chrome kind of fails in that area. Firefox is good, but somehow less "smooth" than IE9.

On the other hand, the Beta doesn't do text-shadow -- my favorite CSS3 feature -- so it kind of even it out for me :P

P.S.
I know I sound negative and anti-Microsoft, but I really do hope IE9 won't suck. Would be much easier on us all. - I'm not hopeful though :/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

View PostAtli, on 15 March 2011 - 06:26 AM, said:

P.S.
I know I sound negative and anti-Microsoft, but I really do hope IE9 won't suck. Would be much easier on us all. - I'm not hopeful though :/

Agreed, while I have my doubts that I'll tear myself away from my favorite open source browser for IE9, it'll be nice to have something that will work well for people that didn't understand why Firefox or Chrome is an improvement over IE7/IE8.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:00 AM

Microsoft is a lot like Manchester United FC, it's the most famous but only because it's supporters are a bunch of idiots a box of chocolates.. I'm ashamed indifferent that I still use Windows, soon I will switch to Ubuntu...SOOOON... :glare:

*Please note: all statements in this message are public opinion and in no way represents D.I.C or anyone associated with D.I.C, especialy not Atli, he doesn't agree with me.

This post has been edited by Dean_Grobler: 16 March 2011 - 07:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

View PostDean_Grobler, on 16 March 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

I'm ashamed that I still use Windows, soon I will switch to Ubuntu...SOOOON... :glare:

I look forward to the day my favorite PC Game releases regularly come with linux versions. Until then, I do what I gotta do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

View PostDean_Grobler, on 16 March 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

Microsoft is a lot like Manchester United FC, it's the most famous but only because it's supporters are a bunch of idiots..

Bitter much?

Insulting the fans for not cheering for your team is pathetic. Especially in a thread that has nothing to do with football.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

View PostAtli, on 16 March 2011 - 06:52 AM, said:

View PostDean_Grobler, on 16 March 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

Microsoft is a lot like Manchester United FC, it's the most famous but only because it's supporters are a bunch of idiots..

Bitter much?

Insulting the fans for not cheering for your team is pathetic. Especially in a thread that has nothing to do with football.

Don't be so sensitive, trying really hard to look "smart" on a programming site might seem like a good idea at first, but it's also just as pathetic. Go make a sandwich or something, seriously...
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

View PostDean_Grobler, on 16 March 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Don't be so sensitive, trying really hard to look "smart" on a programming site might seem like a good idea at first, but it's also just as pathetic. Go make a sandwich or something, seriously...

O pardon me for being a tad annoyed at being called an idiot.
Really, what kind of a response were you expecting?

And how the hell did that come out sounding "smart"? :huh:
I was just pointing out the obvious...

I do like the sandwich idea though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

meh, all you footballers are idiots.

:P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 16 March 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

meh, all you footballers are idiots.

:P

:taz:

I say we focus all this negativity back on IE9, where it belongs :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostAtli, on 15 March 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

To be honest, that kind of reads like the usual Microsoft propaganda. They always talk about the amazing new things they've done with the new software, and how it will revolutionize the way we look at life itself. - And then it falls flat on it's face. (And drags us down in the mud with it.)

What I found interesting about that article is that he talks most about the brand new code-base IE9 is based on, and how amazingly different it is from IE8. - Which is something nobody can verify except the M$ staff itself. (Proprietary code and all.)

Non-verifiable code-base updates and Javascript performance updates aside, what is most important is the standards support. If I need to develop yet another IE fix stylesheet for IE9 I'd prefer it if they just stuck to IE8.

I'd comment on the IE9 RC but I don't seem to be able to uninstall the IE9 beta .:baaa:

I'll give them one thing though. Of all the browsers I have, the IE9 beta renders most of the custom fonts I use best. Chrome kind of fails in that area. Firefox is good, but somehow less "smooth" than IE9.

On the other hand, the Beta doesn't do text-shadow -- my favorite CSS3 feature -- so it kind of even it out for me :P

P.S.

You should be able to remove the IE9 beta via the Add or Remove Programs feature. Depending on what version of Windows you are running you should be able to uninstall it through the Removing Installed Updates or by Removing Windows Components.

IE9 is alright. I don't like how all the sites that you could go to on IE8 suddenly don't render right on IE9. I do understand that it could be the way the website was designed, but on a website like Facebook that you go to everyday and know how to usually renders on your browser and then with IE9 nothing appears right. It just tends to get annoying. Working part time for Microsoft I'm technically supposed to be using IE9 but I just can't stand it. I wish they would make a product that works like it should and leave it. Occasionally put an update out for that browser to fix any security issues, clean up the coding, etc. But don't put out a whole new version every year or so. It just gets old and frustrating to the users after a while.

Ok, my rant is done. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Microsoft should buy Mozilla Labs, copy the source for Firefox, change the GUI, and release IE10.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostNeverPool, on 16 March 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Microsoft should buy Mozilla Labs, copy the source for Firefox, change the GUI, and release IE10.

I'll be happy if Microsoft, Mozilla, and Google will just work together to get all their browsers to render HTML and CSS the same way. That way you don't have to make websites compatible with all 3 browsers. You could just make it compatible with one, because they would work with the others. Of course I doubt that would ever happen.

EDIT: Corrected my spelling.

This post has been edited by RandomlyKnighted: 16 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 17 March 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

You should be able to remove the IE9 beta via the Add or Remove Programs feature. Depending on what version of Windows you are running you should be able to uninstall it through the Removing Installed Updates or by Removing Windows Components.

Thanks. That was the first thing I tried. Tried a lot of other stuff suggested by others online but nothing worked. Seems there is some corrupt installer or system file that is blocking the uninstall process. And as IE is fused into the OS I can't just delete the files and clean the registry. (Or can I?). My only option at this point would be a system restore, which is not an option.

Buuut, it's a beta. Can't really complain about bugs in a beta program, can I :)
Wouldn't have used the new version anyways. Just wanted to see the differences. Maybe scout out what to put into my new IE9-fixes stylesheet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:55 AM

View PostRandomlyKnighted, on 17 March 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

IE9 is alright. I don't like how all the sites that you could go to on IE8 suddenly don't render right on IE9.

You know it does have compatibility mode, right? :online2long:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +