14 Replies - 4553 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2011 - 10:13 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

what + Python == win

Post icon  Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

POPULAR

Today, it just occurred to me that I can make a nice little telnet front-end using Python to stream line a few things I do at work. I'm very excited as this will be a prime opportunity to legitimately use Python at work and help get its foot in the door here :)

This leads me to today's forum discussion. What have you used in conjunction with Python? This can be network protocols like telnet, 3rd party modules and apps, or anything that you think fits the bill for this discussion. Another way to put it would be, have you ever used Python to make a small "helper" app?

This post has been edited by atraub: 15 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: what + Python == win

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what + Python == win

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

POPULAR

I've written a number of bots in Python, from web-based screen scraping ones to telnet-based MUD ones. Even wrote a MitM proxy to automate TCP traffic analysis on the fly.

I've built Tkinter interfaces for monitoring logs, protocol testing scripts for monitoring server uptime, pygame based UIs for graphing financial trends, implemented distributed computing with its sockets interface, and harnessed ctypes for monitoring CPU and network utilization.

For system administration, I've effectively replaced both bash scripting and Perl with Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

I want to up rep your post over 9000 times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

That's amazing!

Most recently I have been using MySQL-python (does that count?) to populate SQL tables for some trival questions in my module at University, I just want to use python for everything! :P

In the past I have used pygame a lot, to create some simple games (and a few I gave up on.) More recently it's just Django that takes up most of my pythoning time, well, Django is just Python but I think it counts, with a few external modules to simulate cron jobs and other things! :)

This post has been edited by Simown: 15 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

As far as I'm concerned, they all count!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

Whoa, I just learned that Python also natively has an IMAP and an SMTP library... oh the possibilities!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

View Postatraub, on 15 March 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

Whoa, I just learned that Python also natively has an IMAP and an SMTP library... oh the possibilities!!!

Don't forget the email parsing package!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

We needed to archive data in a journaling Exchange account. I used Python and IMAP to create a archiving bot that ran as a daemon on a headless Linux box. This program spent some time as C, then C++, but Python was much easier to maintain and daemonize.

We had some field operators who wanted to dump CSV files into a network drop box and have the data be read, processed, and ultimately handed off to a machine on a different network. My initial designed used .NET, a Windows service, and a native folder watcher that comes with .NET. Unfortunately, there were two domains involved and Windows tortured me with trust issues. It was ultimately easier to access both shares via a samba client. Strangely, the inconsistency of Microsoft authentication have lead to a few Linux-Python-Samba bots.

CSV in Python is a joy; all the helpful listy stuff is part of the base language! That CSV bot had to adapt to a number of changes after it was in place and those changes were simple. I had written the parser in C# previously, but nothing could beat Python for that application.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• coderさん
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:10 AM

not sure if this counts but, recently I started developing a home work manager for my school. The school currently uses these diary books that we have to carry around, but at the start of next term all of the students are receiving net books and after a chat with the school, they want to use the program so the students don't have to carry around the diaries any more! This is the first time I have ever written a program for commercial (well, sort of commercial) use. It uses sqlite3 to store the homework and about 1100 lines of code + custom modules! Hopefully it will make life easier for everyone.

This post has been edited by Eric115: 18 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Congratulations! That's awesome
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'm currently developing an animation program (I'm sure atraub knows this haha) that I'm having trouble with. I'm amazed at the features that tkinter Canvas has, it should simplify the process much. I love the cross-platform compatibility of it as well. I also developed a small helper application for myself that quickly figures out the amount that a friend owed me because neither of us knew... it's a lot of money xD
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

I used Python in conjunction with Vpython, a module for manipulating 3D graphics, to create some Asteroid Orbit Determination simulations for a summer program I attended. I fell so much in love with it, I then used it again for some math projects. I'm still looking for other cool 3rd-party modules, but so much is just built into the python library, its amazing!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Nice! Never heard of Vpython before but looking at it now. I'll probably have a go with it tonight actually! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

I wrote a PyGTK front for a MySQL database that I also created for tracking hardware testing progress. I stuck it on network at work and gave the everyone read access and the necessary personel write access. It's fairly large office and it really help to keep everyone in sync without having to verbally communicate everything or send out a mass of e-mails.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• coderさん
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

I wrote a PyGTK front for a MySQL database that I also created for tracking hardware testing progress. I stuck it on network at work and gave the everyone read access and the necessary personel write access. It's fairly large office and it really help to keep everyone in sync without having to verbally communicate everything or send out a mass of e-mails.

That sounds like a pretty awesome project!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1