8 Replies - 697 Views - Last Post: 17 March 2011 - 11:38 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

I'd appreciate a recommendation for a book or website

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation to a book or website that will best teach C#.

I've learned Python and some other languages in the past, so I'm familiar with OOP, but I'd love to start from scratch with C# learning data types, OOP, and take it from there. It's confusing when I look online because I see a lot about C# 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, as well as .NET framework of different versions.

Some material seems to focus on console apps, some focus on visual programs with the IDE allowing drawable Forms with text boxes. It's all overwhelming for a newbie to the language, and I don't know if I should skip console completely and start with visual programs (it doesn't seem like that would hurt at all, since instead of printing text to the console, I'm just printing it to a named text box).

Could you please clear this confusion, and point me to a place or thing that will best explain the language from a beginner's perspective. That would be a real breath of fresh air. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'd appreciate a recommendation for a book or website

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'd appreciate a recommendation for a book or website

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

(it doesn't seem like that would hurt at all, since instead of printing text to the console, I'm just printing it to a named text box).

Let's start with that. That's very wrong. You don't in any way print to a textbox. You set the .Text property of a textbox.
myTextBox.Text = "This will display in the TextBox";

Standard response for new people in need of resources

I am going to guess that you are trying to teach yourself C# without much guidance, a decent book or without knowing where to look. Sometimes just knowing where to look can make all the difference. Google is your friend.
Search with either "C#" or "MSDN" as the first word: "MSDN Picturebox", "C# Custom Events", "MSDN timer" etc.

But honestly, just typing away and seeing what pops up in Intellisense is going to make your self-education take 20 years. You can learn by trying to reverse engineer the language through banging on the keyboard experimentation - or you can learn by doing the tutorials and following a good "How to learn C#" book.

May I suggest picking up a basic C# introductory book? There are so many great "How do I build my first application" tutorials on the web... There are dozens of "Learn C# in 21 days", "My first C# program" books at your local book seller or even public library.

C# resources. Start here
Intro to C# online tutorial then here...
C# control structures then here.
MSDN video on OOP principals, making classes, constructors, accessors and method overloading

The tutorials below walk through making an application including inheritance, custom events and custom controls.
Quick and easy custom events
Bulding an application - Part 1
Building an application - Part 2
Debugging tutorial
Working with environmental variables

Build a Program Now! in Visual C# by Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-2542-5
is a terrific book that has you build a Windows Forms application, a WPF app, a database application, your own web browser.

C# Cookbooks
Are a great place to get good code, broken down by need, written by coding professionals. You can use the code as-is, but take the time to actually study it. These professionals write in a certain style for a reason developed by years of experience and heartache.

Microsoft Visual Studio Tips, 251 ways to improve your productivity, Microsoft press, ISBN 0-7356-2640-5
Has many, many great, real-world tips that I use all the time.

Writing a text file is always one of the first things people want to do, in order to store data like high-scores, preferences and so on
Writing a text file tutorial.

These are just good every-day references to put in your bookmarks.
MSDN C# Developers Center with tutorials
Welcome to Visual Studio

Have you seen the 500+ MSDN Code Samples? They spent a lot of time creating samples and demos. It seems a shame to not use them.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 17 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Woops, sorry haha. I actually knew that you modify the property, not print to it :3

As for the rest of the C&P, I appreciate it. I'll go through the information you provided.

Question on the first real book you show, Build a program now!.

Is it going to hurt me to start building windows form programs right away? I'll have to look up the reviews of the book as well as the table of contents to see if it even covers the very basics before going into property changing (console basics, data types, etc).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

I just picked up the Head First C# book and so far it has been great on explaining the why instead of just showing me syntax and never explaining why I would or wouldn't use it in certain situations. Since that has been my biggest problem with OOP so far. Also, there are quite a few projects in it, and they don't show you the code, you actually have to think for yourself and write the program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

It won't hurt you. It's made to be an intro book for building applications. Not necessarily an intro to OOP principals or the C# language. Personally I find it really helpful to have a feel for finished programs even if all you do is walk through the lessons to see the result. It helps all the other learning 'click' into place when you have at least a little hands on for the overall concepts. Learning the C# language devoid of actual use and practice is just so sterile and isolated from the real world application. To me it is like trying to learn Japanese by reading the dictionary from front to back rather than lessons that teach you through usage like a Berlitz or Rosetta Stone course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

I learned some interesting stuff in the C# 3.0 cookbook

This focuses more on the C# the language itself .

Greetings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

View Postmarinus, on 17 March 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

I learned some interesting stuff in the C# 3.0 cookbook

This focuses more on the C# the language itself .

Greetings.

The website listed above, http://www.csharp-st.../Tutorials.aspx, is awesome. But its all focused on console (the basics of the language, though).

A popular book like Head First C# goes over the basics, but more focused on forms windows programs, which I guess I'm more interested in, since I may try my hand at XNA, but I'm more interested in working with Client Server programming and SQL Databases.

Those are special topics I'll have to look up in the future, but I think the Head First C# type of book will help me get there faster than another source. Comments?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Here is a compiled list that includes a number of books that many members here recommend.

Recommended C# Books
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Found a perfect link: http://msdn.microsof...r/dd435692.aspx

Start with Tier 1 and there are great LONG videos on basics of C# in the visual IDE setting, then Tier 2 goes into more complex things and a 70 minute video of OOP in part 6, and then in Tier 3 it goes into working with SQL Server and more.

It's exactly what I want, and free. PERFECT!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1