2 Replies - 514 Views - Last Post: 17 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Becoming an email service provider

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hi everyone, I am in the process of developing a website and I am thinking about adding the possibility for users to create an email address with us. I am just not sure how feasible it would be, because I couldn't find any information about the costs of such a service. Do you guys have any estimates what costs this would entail? I guess it is not going to be cheap...

This post has been edited by MVG_VU: 17 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Becoming an email service provider

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Becoming an email service provider

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Costs for what exactly?

The domain name, is likely going to be less than $20 a year.
If you are self hosting, you'll need business class service from your ISP
Otherwise you'll need to pay for server space. Most places charge less than $10 per month plus bandwidth.
If you rent rack space & use your own server you'll likely pay $100 per month, plus bandwidth.
Depending on your software platform, Linux/Unix servers are free to setup, & so is the software that runs Web (Apache) & email (qmail/sendmail).

Hopefully this helps with your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Becoming an email service provider

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the answer, I will try to be more specific with the costs.

To make it easy lets just assume I want to become a competitor to gmail, gmx, hotmail etc. First what does it cost to build the webpage? It doesn't have to be special, but of course needs all basic functionalities of reading and sending emails etc.

Then the maintenance costs. Let's assume I will have 10,000 users quite quickly, I need to provide webspace to them (lets say 100mb/account) and need to provide a very reliable service to them. Also I need spam filters and other services that would make me a serious alternative to other email providers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1