<html>
<!--  Created with the CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2006  -->
<!--		   [url=http://www.coffeecup.com/]http://www.coffeecup.com/[/url]		   -->
<!--	   Brewed on 12/15/2006 10:48:15 AM		-->
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<body>
<body background="./Graphics/HomePageBackground.jpg" text="#000000" link="#3300FF" vlink="#FF6699" alink="#669999">

<div style="font:normal 11px arial,sans-serif;text-align:center; margin:1em auto;"></div>
</body>
</html>

The problem is that the "JPG" file does not show up in view mode in any of editors or Iexplorer or Firefox. It does show up in one of my editors called NVU.

This problem extends to my web browsers when I am out on the internet. It seems to effect background colors and background files with borders, etc.

Any ideas. I am running a Fairly new Dell desktop with Windows XP (Pro version).

This started about a year ago and continues to drive me nuts. Any ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Background File not showing

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Background File not showing

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

It sounds like an issue with pathing. You have "./Graphics/HomePageBackground.jpg". If the page is at the root of the site, and the image does not exist in a subfolder named "Graphics" then you will have an issue with the image not displaying. Also remember that if your hosting is Unix based, case sensitivity is also an issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:47 AM

View Postpsykoprogrammer, on 21 Dec, 2006 - 10:11 AM, said:

It sounds like an issue with pathing. You have "./Graphics/HomePageBackground.jpg". If the page is at the root of the site, and the image does not exist in a subfolder named "Graphics" then you will have an issue with the image not displaying. Also remember that if your hosting is Unix based, case sensitivity is also an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have double checked my work and find everything in order. This is doubling confusing because on one of my editors (NVU) the page displays exactly as planned.

Also the same thing is happening out on the internet with both IE and Firefox. Please check www.llcoop.org for an example. If your browser is displaying right you should have a page that among other things shows a border down the left side of the pages which is blue and white and is the Lakeland logo.

I know this because I designed this page and with any other machine that I have used it is there, but not my machine at home. There is something in my machine that is doing this and I can not find any options in my browsers, editors or system that will correct this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

Really wierd. I see eveything fine. So this one particular computer just doesn't display the graphics?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

View Postpsykoprogrammer, on 23 Dec, 2006 - 11:58 AM, said:

Really wierd. I see eveything fine. So this one particular computer just doesn't display the graphics?

That's my story and I am sticking to it. The other graphics show up in my browsers ok too. Text is good, right format and color and all that. It is just that "body background" statement that gets ignored but again the NVU editor reads it correctly. I have tried to substitute the background file with just a solid color background statement and it ignores that also.

At this point I have to consider a bug or virus in my system or some other malicous software. I do download a lot of stuff. Besides computers I am into cars (old) and music. I have run some spyware and virus cleaning programs which always seem to find something but not the problem I am having with the browsers. Maybe I need to get up off a few bucks and get some serious cleaning tools.

Also, I am about ready to get myself a laptop computer in the near future. Perhaps if I do and get that running smoothly I might try a complete format of my desktop and reinstall everything. I hate to go through that but I might have too.

Thanks for your time and if I ever find out the cause of all this grief you can be sure I will post it for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

You could re‐install your browser, upgrade your browser if itís out of date, or use a different browser. You could make sure that ad‐blocking software isnít blocking the images, that you donít have a custom style sheet set, and try clearing your browserís cache. You could also make sure that your browser is always set to receive the newest version of documents so that it always requests available files.

You can also try using the modern method of defining a page background and use the CSS background-image property instead of the deprecated background attribute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

View PostArbitrator, on 23 Dec, 2006 - 10:49 PM, said:

You could re‐install your browser, upgrade your browser if itís out of date, or use a different browser. You could make sure that ad‐blocking software isnít blocking the images, that you donít have a custom style sheet set, and try clearing your browserís cache. You could also make sure that your browser is always set to receive the newest version of documents so that it always requests available files.

You can also try using the modern method of defining a page background and use the CSS background-image property instead of the deprecated background attribute.

Just to let you know that I have partially solved this problem. I appear to have the latest in browsers in both IE an Firefox so I decided to download and install Netscape 8.1. I have not had Netscape on any machine in years so I thought, why not? It worked. Netscape reads my page correctly as well as the pages out on the web so I at least have an editor (NVU) and a browser that works with my system.

I also stumbled on a similar problem on a discussion group somewhere deep down in a Microsoft site. Some one else was complaining about the same thing. They were advised to turn off the option that emulates Windows XP clear text in IE. It appears that IE 7 and XP have some issues. I tried it in mine but did no good. Next I am going to try re-installing IE and Firefox and make sure I have absolutely the latest version.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me and hope you folks have a good holiday in your corner of the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

Last time I checked, the latest versions were:

Firefox 2.0.0.1
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 (XP SP2)
Netscape 8.1.2
Opera 9.02

Personally, if I were looking for an alternative to Firefox, I would try Opera. Netscape 8 uses either the rendering engine of Firefox 1 or Internet Explorer 6 depending upon your settings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1