2 Replies - 3654 Views - Last Post: 18 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Systems Engineerings VS. Computer Science?

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

So, I have pretty much known all my life that I wanted to program and to tell technology what to do for me. I have known what "programming" ever since I was a kid.

With this, I have researched about what jobs apply programming for everyday tasks. I found the obvious, computer science, computer engineering... And Systems Engineering.

The thing is, I am currently studying Systems Engineering at my university (first semester student BTW). To be honest, I would have prefered to go for Computer Science (since it looks more specific to computers and overal more interesting for me), but I couldn't becuase no university or college in my country has such a career to my knowledge although my current career does use a lot of computer-related topics and programming, but on a wider scale. I feel happy in my current career, but what am I missing in Computer Science? Computers apassionate me and I could easily spend hours and hours writting code and exploiting technology.

I have a few questions about my current career VS Computer Science and I would like your input. Is Systems Engineering a career that will give me good jobs if I ever move to a country like the US or to any country in Europe? I am not a money-drooling individual but I really want to survive and live happily with a family. Considering the fact that computer science is studied in most developed countries, I am scared I may not succeed with the career I choce mainly because well, in all these years (5+) I have been visiting programming communities on the internet I have NEVER seen anyone mentioning Systems Engineering as their career of choice, so no one talks about it, never heard of anyone studying this in a third world country and just because of that it looks like it is incompetent. So is it? I love Systems Engineering so far. Gratned, not as much as computer science, but I enjoy it. I just really want to know if I will be able to move to a developed country as a systems engineering because really, no one ever talks about it.

Any opinions (and even words of encouragement) will be highly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Systems Engineerings VS. Computer Science?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Systems Engineerings VS. Computer Science?

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Don't worry about not being able to find any job because of having system engineering degree. It worths to mention that nowadays most of IT companies prefer the new graduates who studied the "more" specific area of computing rather than a more general degree such as Computer science.

Computer Science is a general IT degree. It nearly covers everything from programming to Operating systems,electronics and even some Robotic(According to MIT University) but it doesn't really focus on a particular aspect. which means, a computer science student can become a programmer or a database administrator or hardware genius depending on his likes and which way he chooses to continue. He has to build %70 of the skill himself.
In the other hand, when you study System Engineering, It's way more specific.

I'm a Software Engineering student myself and for me it doesn't really matter if I studied CS instead. I actually like programming so i prefer Software Engineering more than CS because it offers a lot more software related courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Systems Engineerings VS. Computer Science?

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'm a computer engineering major. This should be more than enough to persuade you to become an ceg ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1