• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1778 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Is certification necessary in the IT world

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

I just want to have your opinion on certification, i believe with or without certification the knowledge is still there, What do you think.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is certification necessary in the IT world

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Is certification necessary in the IT world

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:17 AM

Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you wanna be an employee of a famous IT company like Google then they require a certification at least. If you want to become a successful freelancer or be your own boss then that's a different story.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

I think proven experience can be as good as a certification, especially depending on the type of cert, but you have to think about how you're going to get that experience. First you'd need a job, and then you'd need to hold that job for several years and gain a variety of experience at said job.
Now, if you have zero experience and no cert, how would you expect to get a job over the flood of people coming out of tech college with associates degrees and even people who took 6 month courses to get MS and compTIA certs and the like, not to mention the people who spent their 4 or more years at a university getting a computer science degree?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for all your comments,I'm gained a lot so far, DIC is just the place to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

I agree with Shaker: if you plan on working at a well established company they are going to certainly be looking for certifications.

My Brother-in-law works for HP and he advised me to get as many certifications as possible.

My questioin is if you are qualified why not get certified? Those certificates show your ability to learn and retain knowledge even if you own your own company. potential clients like to see your qualifications
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

View Postdcord, on 26 March 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

I agree with Shaker: if you plan on working at a well established company they are going to certainly be looking for certifications.

My Brother-in-law works for HP and he advised me to get as many certifications as possible.

My questioin is if you are qualified why not get certified? Those certificates show your ability to learn and retain knowledge even if you own your own company. potential clients like to see your qualifications

because they're expensive and largely useless. A look at analytic data reveals that 70% of the IT community has no certifications. This may change in the foreseeable future and is likely only a side affect of the current generation having gotten their jobs when IT didn't really exist. But at the current time, They're just expensive pieces of paper that only prove that 'at that time' you had the knowledge to pass a test.

I personally don't put much stock in them and I haven't found an interview yet where the sentiment was 'I wish we could hire you, but you just don't have certifications to back up your 3 years of IT work experience, so we don't really know what you did on those jobs.'
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

well I guess following that logic a college degree, BS and above is just that also. "An expensive piece of paper". Seems to me that no matter what job you get you need field experience but in my opinion an expensive piece of paper stands on it's own not just becauase you were able to pass a test but that you had the energy, fortitude and discipline to get one. I currrently own and operate
a small business restoring cabinets. There is no piece of paper to show your experience so I go through employees quickly because anyoone can say they know how, but when the rubber meets the road they do not know. That piece of paper would indicate that you actually do, at the very least grasp the concepts.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

If you wanna be an employee of a famous IT company like Google then they require a certification at least.

I would like to know the source of that information. Nowadays, a lot of companies are not looking at certifications. After all, it is a piece of paper (+ a digital copy) that says that someone was able to go through a set of questions/exercises related to a technology/language/<insert something here>.

Companies are looking for talents in the first place. People who can show actual work they did, so that they would see the direct abilities, coding style, algorithm efficiency and so on. It was proven multiple times that a certification is not a gateway to a job. Also, I don't know of any major software development companies that have a certification requirement. As long as one has a degree in the required field coupled with experience in that field is pretty much good to go.

Also, here is a thread related to this topic that might help answering the initial question:

Being a software engineer (C#), what certification are a must?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

View PostCore, on 27 March 2011 - 09:03 AM, said:

I would like to know the source of that information. Nowadays, a lot of companies are not looking at certifications...

Did you notice "big IT companies like google" in my sentence?
Oh yea, about the source. how about taking a look:

http://www.google.co...york/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/careers/
http://careers.yahoo...jcat=8&submit=1
http://twitter.com/j...ngineering.html

Please let me know if any of these companies welcome you without any certification or they've not mentioned "A Degree in Computer science or related field is required" in their employee requirements. I don't see anywhere written that google will hire you without a certification as long as you have talents.
If you got employed by Google without showing them a degree, Then you can prove me wrong.

I'm not talking about a local IT company with +-50 employees which doesn't really care about your education and focuses on your skills.. I'm talking about biggest IT companies that are looking for employees and paying high salaries.

P.S I believe you got me wrong, a "certification" can be a degree. and that's what I meant.

This post has been edited by EarthShaker: 27 March 2011 - 05:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks so much for all your post really learned from them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostEarthShaker, on 27 March 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

P.S I believe you got me wrong, a "certification" can be a degree. and that's what I meant.

A certification and a degree are two totally separate things.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

I also think they are two separate things, I agree with you ccubed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Certification != degree. A degree is a requirement (in 90% of the cases), a certification is not. I'd say get the terminology right before trying to prove a point.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

:oops:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:42 AM

Wow really gaining a lot from IT geeks in the house.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +