6 Replies - 306 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2011 - 03:08 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

So now what?

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

So I've been studying c++ for about 2 years and learned alot about it. Then I became familiar with windows programming (win32 api) and c#. I'd like to learn game programming with directx/opengl. So practically my question is should I do everything with c++ or I should go to c# as windows use their .net framework?
P.S. It would be a bonus if anyone linked me to a good book on your opinion for c++ or c# win32. Thanks in advance
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So now what?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: So now what?

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

by saying being familiar with c# and win32 i didnt mean i learnt them or anything. I've just studied c++ without knowing there were such languages (dont laugh hard at me lol)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

Game programming can be simple or complex depending on what you want to do.

First, you should decide if you want to start with DirectX or OpenGL because they are 2 different approach. I've read some good reviews about Game Coding Complete and Programming game AI by example. Please note that I haven't read any of these books by myself yet so don't blame me if these books didn't help you.

In my opinion, You should start by grabbing a good reference book on game programming and coding small,simple games; build up your skills one bit at a time and after that get into more advanced topics such as game engine architecture, Advanced AI etc.

It's also good to know that gaming technologies are being developed very fast and each year new concepts are introduced so if you want to use game programming to make a living you should be able to upgrade your skills and knowledge quickly.

Regards
Es.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Es but should I pick up c# or flow with c++?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

I don't think that'd be necessary. I believe you'll mostly need C/C++. If you're planning to go for multi-platform games, some python knowledge would be useful too.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Have a read of my blog. If you want to program games professionally then C++ is an absolute must, you have to know it.

C# is very Microsoft specific which isn't a bad thing per se, but it does have the big plus of being used with the XNA platform to develop some impressive stuff. Irrespective of this, if you want to go pro this work will still be valid as demo work but as said, C++ is a must.

Oh yes, and Game Code Complete is a very good book. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

You may also take a look at OpenGL vs Direct3D wiki if you're unsure which way to go!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1