5 Replies - 1198 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

resume help

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:49 AM

hello, I've almost finished my resume. I recently took in to my campus' employment center to have it evaluated and the lady there told me I need to add a course projects section since i have no computer related work experience. I would like your opinion on which project would look better on a resume and I would also like to get your opinion on my resume overall if you wouldn't mind, so I'll attach it at the bottom.
Here's a list of projects I'm considering:
Search Algorithms, Binary Search vs Sequential Search(Java)
Creating a data type, addition, subtraction, and multiplication for numbers of infinite size(Java)
Recreating classes, Linked List, Array List, Queue, Stack, and Binary Tree(Java)
Polygon clipping, Sutherland-Hodgman algorithm(Java)
calculator(C#)

here's my resume:Attached File  Susan E.pdf (76.31K)
Number of downloads: 91

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: resume help

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: resume help

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

1. The anticipated address up top doesn't need to be there.
2. I would use an email address with just your name with as few numbers as possible. People have criticized my use of a yahoo address in the past, but I don't think it's that big of a deal breaker.
3. Scrap the objective. Work that into the cover letter for whatever position you're applying for.
4. Are you looking for full time work? Is grad school part time?
5. Scrap "references available upon request". If an employer wants references they'll ask.

The grouping of your programming skills is odd, for example .NET with HTML and Python? Group things that go together.

List a few noteworthy school projects along the lines of something like this (marked it up like you might in the actual document):

Project: Full Lifecycle Development Case Study
Position: Developer in 4 person team– 4 months
Description: Team case study covering the development of an Enterprise Resource
Planning System. Developed documentation ranging from requirements
planning to initial development/implementation.
Technology: Systems Requirements Specification, Software Requirements
Specification, Software Project Plan, UML

Since you're coming out of school, I would order like this:

Name------------Contact
Education
------Minor
------GPA
------Grad Date
------Projects
Experience
------Projects, if applicable
------Otherwise highlight skills you acquired/used: leadership, responsibility, etc...
Awards
------Extracurriculars (Eagle Scout, etc...)
------Fraternity memberships (generally academic ones)

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

I agree about the email address. Open a second email account for professional use, that sounds professional. It should not have your birth year in it unless you are big fan of giving away information for identity theft - and stressing how old you aren't. The same could be said about giving away your last name as part of the address. SusanF for example.

Drop the address block entirely. They get your address from your job application. That way you avoid the entire moving issue altogether.

Objective
Graduate with a strong background in computer science seeking a position as an entry level software developer.

You realize that isn't a valid English sentence, right? It's two sentences smashed together. IE: A run-on sentence.

It reads like your objective is to graduate, and you are seeing employment while you go to school. Which seems rather short sighted. Employers like people who think more than step ahead. It reads as school first priority, work second because that is the order you placed them in. No employer likes being second. Flip it so the goal is to gain employment, while you go to school.

Skills -
I have a hard time believing you are proficient with every programming skills listed. Familiar with, maybe. But not proficient But you can't just list everything as "proficient or familiar with". Those are two different things. I would list "proficient with" separate from 'some experience with'.

I don't think check marks are proper bullets to use for the job skills. Regular round bullets are fine.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 20 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 March 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

Skills -
I have a hard time believing you are proficient with every programming skills listed. Familiar with, maybe. But not proficient But you can't just list everything as "proficient or familiar with". Those are two different things. I would list "proficient with" separate from 'some experience with'.

I totally agree. Personally, I like to split the difference between "familiar" and "proficient" with "knowledgeable of."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

thanks for the fast responses. I'll make two separate sections for the languages. I'm definitely not proficient in all of those though I am familiar with them. I'll make a new e-mail address. I am looking for full time work. Whether I'll be a full time student or not depends on my job because that's my first priority. I'll begin editing and post the result soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

Here's my new version:Attached File  Susan E.pdf (74.03K)
Number of downloads: 69

I'll make sure rewrite my objective to prioritize my job and put it in my cover letter along with my address.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1